OGXbox.com

TSOP V1.1 IND bios not booting, looking for suggestions

nerdbombing

Thanks for your time and any help you fine folks can provide. Here's what I got, and here's some symptoms and our current situation.

2020 bought TSOP'd V1.1 from a nice gent on ebay. It worked fine for the past two years, then recently encountered problems. IND bios, UnleashX Ver:0.39.0.222A Build 572, Kernel 1.0.5003.67, MS dash Kernel: 1.00.5003.67 D:1.00.5659.03, Upgraded HDD to Seagate Barracuda 750gb upon purchase, reapplied thermal paste to heatsinks/chips, clock cap was removed by seller. This xbox is my brothers, so the symptoms aren't first hand, but described as best as he could to me. I have the original HDD around still.

Last 2 months, symptoms:

1. Occasional freezing while watching videos on XBMC. Reboot would seem to allow playback.
  2. Error message about the skin not functioning properly, so he changed to another skin and seemed to solve that issue.
  3. Occasional freezing during game play with Halo (1 or 2, can't remember), the last freeze had a few purple bars in the video output (someone suggested that the lines/bars reminded them of GPU issues they experienced with older computer repairs they did in the past)
  4. No boot, current situation: IND Bios logo shows up but nothing more. It stays on the IND screen indefinitely while both of the heat sinks get very hot. (Aside from the heat, it reminds me of bad memory issues with computers not booting. I've never got any screen activity with bad RAM though, so when the IND screen shows, it makes me think that RAM may not be the issue.)

Actions taken:

1. Opened xbox and removed HDD and CD drive, attempted startup but no change in results.
  2. Found three caps in front of large heat sink bulging. Replaced with same value caps from a parts xbox, no change in results.
  3. Redid thermal paste on heatsinks, no change in results.
  4. Disconnected front USB cables(wire connectors to controller ports). So just the PSU, fan, and power/eject connectors still attached but no change in results.
  5. FTP timed-out, no change in results.
  6. No other obvious defects, but my eyes may be getting aged and I could be missing something. But generally, I dont see anything burnt, no other visually bad caps, PSU seems to be working regularly.

I'm not familiar with the TSOP process, just the plain jane softmod. Is it possible to redo the TSOP, or is this sounding like a hardware issue to you folks?

My brothers and cousins love coming over to get system link going, so being down a box is a bit annoying and we may be losing some saves and profiles that I'm not able to FTP off. Any help or pointers is greatly appreciated.

Edited by nerdbombing
additional symptom

Sounds like the hard drive is dying.  iND-BiOS reads its configuration information from the hard drive, c:\ind-bios.cfg.  If it cannot read this file, I believe it will freeze on the screen:

• loading ind-bios

However, it may freeze on the white background big X logo screen with ind-bios displayed below it.

• Like 1

@KaosEngineerto the rescue yet again. I learned something new and can't thank you enough for the help my friend! It's looking like the IDE to SATA adapter may be the culprit. After plugging in the original drive, she booted right up as normal! There should be an LED lighting up on my adapter, which is not lighting up, so I'm gonna throw a few bucks on a new one before a new HDD. But if it does come down to the hdd, I'm really thinking about an SSD solely for the robust-ness of it, as I've read that the read and write speeds and other benefits of SSDs won't matter in this setup (if i recall, the memory(or other components) can only handle so much thru put anyway which makes those ssd benefits moot).

Anyway, thanks again and I hope this helps someone else out in the future.

Although a HDD speed is higher the the bus and thus extra speed on paper shouldn’t matter, in reality it does. It shaves of a few seconds depending on the game https://www.retrorgb.com/og-xbox-storage-upgrade-shootout.html

nothing world shocking ;). Combine this with an UDMA5 bios and you give your XBOX a nice speed boost. One thing to note is that SSDs do need to be powered on from time to time, otherwise they’ll start to lose data

• Like 1

@coldasijsThanks for clarifying. I'll have to expand my knowledge, I'm not familiar with UDMA5. As far as powering on an SSD to prevent data loss, are we talking like once a month, or once a week? Then is it simply just turning it on to get to the dash board, or should a game be loaded and played? There's times when we play system link once or twice a week, but then there's times where we're dormant for a few months. Thanks again!

Once every 6 months should be sufficient. What I understood is that data corruption becomes a risk after 1 year without power. So you should be save with 6 months. You only need to power on the xbox, but I would advice you to also play games. It has no impact on the SSD, merely for your own fun :D

Currently XBOX uses UDMA2, this means that the data transfer speed is limited to 33 MB/s. The HW of the xbox does support up to UDMA5 (100MB/s) with the exception of the IDE cable. Recently a new BIOS was released unlocking UDMA5. You need an 80 wire IDE cable and a IDE-SATA adapter thats supports UDMA5. The startech adapter definitely does, other brands might support it but can also be UDMA3 or 4. At the moment both cerbios and evoX (titan) support udma 3 and up.

One note, although bandwidth increases by 3x, it doesn’t mean your loadtimes decrease by 3x. It seems to be fully game depended and different nr are going around. I at least noticed mafia loadtime to decrease with 50% (from 10 to 5 secs) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, nerdbombing said:

The new IDE to SATA adapter arrived. I still have no bootup, so it's a bad HDD. Got a new SSD in and gonna clone the original drive and begin the standard softmod cloning HDD upgrade. Thanks again folks!

This is what I got btw:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/255500592901

Does the LED on it light up?  These are notorious for being Dead on Arrival (DOA).  Did you purchase more than one.  

Resolding the SATA connector and replacing the two electrolytic caps on it has fixed them for several people with one that was dead.

Did you place ind-bios.cfg in the top-level folder of the C drive?

Example configuration file:

IGRMODE=2
IGRLOADSDASH=0
AVCHECK=0
IFILTER=1
FANSPEED=10
DISABLEDM=1
LEDPattern=GGGG
AUTOLOADDVD=1
480P=1
BLOBTHROB=1
INTRO=1
SHOWFLUB=1
FOGON=1
XLOGOSCALE=100
TEXTSCALE=100
SKEWEN=1
YSKEWLOGO=-20
XSKEWLOGO=0
YSKEWXLOGO=0
XSKEWXLOGO=0
YSKEWTEXT=0
XSKEWTEXT=0
TMS=1
IND3D=1
SHOWXEN=1
SHOWMSEN=1
DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CDrom0\default.xbe
DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\evoxdash.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe
DASH3=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe

The last 4 lines are important to have.  They are used to run the default.xbe file from a disc loaded into the DVD drive or when no disc is loaded, a replacement dashboard installed on the hard drive.

In this example, the device path set for DASH1 attemptss to run the file C:\evoxdash.xbe.  If not found, the BIOS attempts to load the XBE file for DASH2 = E:\Dash\UnleashX\unleashx.xbe.  If not found, DASH3 is attempted.  DASH3's device path is set to load the file at the drive path of E:\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe.

Make sure that one of the xbe files at the locations set for DASH1, DASH2 or DASH3 exists on the hard drive.

Your ind-bios.cfg file may have different values for the boot order list path entries than in the above example.

A more complete ind-bios.cfg file from the xbins.org distribution of ind-bios 5003 is attached below.

ind-bios.cfg

6 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Does the LED on it light up?  These are notorious for being Dead on Arrival (DOA).  Did you purchase more than one. 

Yes, the LED lights up once all connected and powered on, and I bought 2 of them, and I tested both to be sure.

5 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Did you place ind-bios.cfg in the top-level folder of the C drive?

I will check the original HDD for that. But as I can't get the larger upgrade HDD to boot up so that I can FTP to it, I'll have to put it on my PC docking port and access it that way to try and see. Just glancing at my backup copy of the original hard drive shows the ind-bios.cfg in the C drive. Just a quick review, most looks the same, exceptions being the fan speed setting of my config file is set to 20 while the linked version you provided is set to 10, and the dash1,2,& 3 are different: my backup lists

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dashboard\default.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\xboxdash.xbe
DEFAULTXBE=\Device\CdRom0\default.xbe

Aside from those, everything else looks the same (at a glance).

On 7/1/2022 at 7:38 AM, nerdbombing said:

DASH1=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\Dashboard\default.xbe
DASH2=\Device\Harddisk0\Partition2\xboxdash.xbe

Ok, does the XBE file at at least one of these location exist on the hard drive:

• E:\Dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\xboxdash.xbe (not sure why it would try to start this for a replacement dashboard unless xboxdash.xbe is not actually the original  Xbox's dashboard.
  • E:\Dash\EvolutionX\evoxdash.xbe

I usually make sure the first entry's file exists in the boot order list since the BIOS attempts it first to run as your replacement dashboard.

36 minutes ago, nerdbombing said:

Yes, the LED lights up once all connected and powered on, and I bought 2 of them, and I tested both to be sure.

Have you swapped out the stock IDE cable for a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin one?  

At least for me to get the Xbox to boot reliablly with a SATA drive and IDE-to-SATA adapter, use of a high-speed IDE cable is  required.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:09 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Ok, does the XBE file at at least one of these location exist on the hard drive:

• E:\Dashboard\default.xbe
  • C:\xbxodash.xbe (not sure why it would try to start this for a replacement dashboard unless xboxdash.xbe is not actually the original  Xbox's dashboard.

Both of the above

On 7/1/2022 at 9:15 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Have you swapped out the stock IDE cable for a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin one? 

Yes. I was under the impression it's mandatory [for anything you want to game on], and I consider it a requirement for modding the xboxes. However, I did notice that brother's xbox is running an older (80wire) one I found in the family computer scrap pile. It doesn't look great, and it's a bit short. I plan on replacing it with a longer new one to be sure to avoid problems with this new SSD and IDE/SATA adapter, just to make sure it's all on the up and up.

Typically, when IDE cables are colored, blue goes to mobo. When they're not colored, usually they have stamps indicating "Mobo", "Slave", and "Master". My question is, does that really matter, cause I've taken apart those connectors before and they're just connected to the wires, super simple and straightforward seemingly. With the xbox this topic is about, the orientation did seem to matter. After flipping the cable in reverse to get the longer end to go from DVD to SSD/HDD and make things fit better, it wouldn't boot. I flipped them to the correct way and it booted fine..... (Just asking this to clarify my understanding of IDE cables. I have a new and long enough cable coming, so it doesn't matter anymore, other then wanting to understand it).

Thanks

36 minutes ago, nerdbombing said:

Both of the above

Yes. I was under the impression it's mandatory [for anything you want to game on], and I consider it a requirement for modding the xboxes. However, I did notice that brother's xbox is running an older (80wire) one I found in the family computer scrap pile. It doesn't look great, and it's a bit short. I plan on replacing it with a longer new one to be sure to avoid problems with this new SSD and IDE/SATA adapter, just to make sure it's all on the up and up.

Typically, when IDE cables are colored, blue goes to mobo. When they're not colored, usually they have stamps indicating "Mobo", "Slave", and "Master". My question is, does that really matter, cause I've taken apart those connectors before and they're just connected to the wires, super simple and straightforward seemingly. With the xbox this topic is about, the orientation did seem to matter. After flipping the cable in reverse to get the longer end to go from DVD to SSD/HDD and make things fit better, it wouldn't boot. I flipped them to the correct way and it booted fine..... (Just asking this to clarify my understanding of IDE cables. I have a new and long enough cable coming, so it doesn't matter anymore, other then wanting to understand it).

Thanks

When flipped end-over-end, the 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable's built-in Cable Select feature no longer works.  The hard drive / adapter will have to be set to MASTER instead of Cable Select (CS).

• Thanks 1

Just for sh1ts and giggles, I'm trying to access the old, allegedly, bad HDD. I couldn't remember what program to use, did a search and see there's been progress since the last time I tried. I found i have a copy of explorer360, but saw @KaosEngineer's reply from not very long ago, and decided to try FATXplorer 3.0 Beta. 

I kept getting an error when FATXplorer would try to connect. Then it would disappear from the Devices tab.

I took a known good oem hdd, and it was able to connect to that (reason we backup eeprom data, am i right?) However, once connected then promted by the "Mount Options" screen, when i click on "Load Device" I get an error: Failed to load device. FATXplorerDevice.InitializePartitions: ST310014 A USB device has no valid/browsable FATX-formatted partitions. The log may have more details. Not trying to turn this into a different thread, I was just trying to confirm the HDD was bad and there's no chance of grabbing to save files I have there. At this point, these are seemingly just exercises and not necessary to fix my issues.

smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-pc-w32vc17-w10-21H1] (FATXplorer Edition)
Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate UX
Device Model:     ST310014A
Serial Number:    5JRB039J
Firmware Version: 3.09
User Capacity:    10,242,892,800 bytes [10.2 GB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        In smartctl database 7.3/5387
ATA Version is:   ATA/ATAPI-6 (minor revision not indicated)
Local Time is:    Sun Jul  3 15:01:25 2022 EDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled
AAM level is:     128 (quiet), recommended: 128
APM feature is:   Unavailable
Rd look-ahead is: Enabled
Write cache is:   Enabled
DSN feature is:   Unavailable
ATA Security is:  ENABLED, PW level MAX, not locked, not frozen [SEC5]
Wt Cache Reorder: Unavailable

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Status not supported: Incomplete response, ATA output registers missing
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED
Warning: This result is based on an Attribute check.

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82)	Offline data collection activity
					was completed without error.
					Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (   0)	The previous self-test routine completed
					without error or no self-test has ever 
					been run.
Total time to complete Offline 
data collection: 		(  420) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities: 			 (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
					Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
					Suspend Offline collection upon new
					command.
					Offline surface scan supported.
					Self-test supported.
					No Conveyance Self-test supported.
					Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)	Saves SMART data before entering
					power-saving mode.
					Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)	Error logging supported.
					No General Purpose Logging support.
Short self-test routine 
recommended polling time: 	 (   1) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time: 	 (  11) minutes.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     POSR--   090   076   025    -    90393594
  3 Spin_Up_Time            PO----   098   097   000    -    0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        -O--CK   100   100   020    -    0
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   PO--CK   100   100   036    -    0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         POSR--   077   060   030    -    54085489
  9 Power_On_Hours          -O--CK   099   099   000    -    1192
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        -O--C-   100   100   000    -    0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       -O--CK   100   100   020    -    788
194 Temperature_Celsius     -O---K   034   051   000    -    34
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  -O-RC-   100   253   000    -    0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  -O--C-   100   100   000    -    0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   ----C-   100   100   000    -    0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -OSRCK   200   200   000    -    0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   ------   100   253   000    -    0
202 Data_Address_Mark_Errs  -O--CK   100   253   000    -    0
                            ||||||_ K auto-keep
                            |||||__ C event count
                            ||||___ R error rate
                            |||____ S speed/performance
                            ||_____ O updated online
                            |______ P prefailure warning

General Purpose Log Directory not supported

SMART Log Directory Version 0
Address    Access  R/W   Size  Description
0x00           SL  R/O      1  Log Directory

SMART Extended Comprehensive Error Log (GP Log 0x03) not supported

SMART Error Log Version: 1
ATA Error Count: 12 (device log contains only the most recent five errors)
	CR = Command Register [HEX]
	FR = Features Register [HEX]
	SC = Sector Count Register [HEX]
	SN = Sector Number Register [HEX]
	CL = Cylinder Low Register [HEX]
	CH = Cylinder High Register [HEX]
	DH = Device/Head Register [HEX]
	DC = Device Command Register [HEX]
	ER = Error register [HEX]
	ST = Status register [HEX]
Powered_Up_Time is measured from power on, and printed as
DDd+hh:mm:SS.sss where DD=days, hh=hours, mm=minutes,
SS=sec, and sss=millisec. It "wraps" after 49.710 days.

Error 12 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 818 hours (34 days + 2 hours)
  When the command that caused the error occurred, the device was active or idle.

After command completion occurred, registers were:
  ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  00 51 2c 5c bc 49 b0  Error:  44 sectors at LBA = 0x0049bc5c = 4832348

Commands leading to the command that caused the error were:
  CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC   Powered_Up_Time  Command/Feature_Name
  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --  ----------------  --------------------
  c8 01 80 08 bc 49 e0 00      00:00:18.394  READ DMA
  ca 01 01 08 00 00 e0 00      00:00:00.058  WRITE DMA
  c8 01 80 88 7f 49 e0 00      00:00:17.201  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 68 7a 49 e0 00      00:00:02.290  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 88 bb 49 e0 00      00:00:02.329  READ DMA

Error 11 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 692 hours (28 days + 20 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  00 51 2b 5d bc 49 b0  Error:  43 sectors at LBA = 0x0049bc5d = 4832349

c8 01 80 08 bc 49 e0 00      00:00:18.391  READ DMA
  ca 01 01 08 00 00 e0 00      00:00:00.059  WRITE DMA
  c8 01 80 88 7f 49 e0 00      00:00:17.202  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 68 7a 49 e0 00      00:00:02.290  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 88 bb 49 e0 00      00:00:02.330  READ DMA

Error 10 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 569 hours (23 days + 17 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  00 51 2c dc 80 49 b0  Error:  44 sectors at LBA = 0x004980dc = 4817116

c8 01 80 88 80 49 e0 00      00:00:18.860  READ DMA
  ca 01 01 08 00 00 e0 00      00:00:00.055  WRITE DMA
  c8 01 80 68 7a 49 e0 00      00:00:02.258  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 88 bc 49 e0 00      00:00:02.290  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 08 80 49 e0 00      00:00:02.330  READ DMA

Error 9 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 552 hours (23 days + 0 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  00 51 2f 59 bc 49 b0  Error:  47 sectors at LBA = 0x0049bc59 = 4832345

c8 01 80 08 bc 49 e0 00      00:00:17.598  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 e8 7a 49 e0 00      00:00:18.003  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 08 80 49 e0 00      00:00:02.290  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 88 bb 49 e0 00      00:00:02.330  READ DMA

Error 8 occurred at disk power-on lifetime: 533 hours (22 days + 5 hours)

ER ST SC SN CL CH DH
  -- -- -- -- -- -- --
  00 51 2a de 80 49 b0  Error:  42 sectors at LBA = 0x004980de = 4817118

c8 01 80 88 80 49 e0 00      00:00:08.187  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 08 bc 49 e0 00      00:00:17.680  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 e8 7a 49 e0 00      00:00:20.316  READ DMA
  c8 01 80 08 80 49 e0 00      00:00:02.328  READ DMA

SMART Extended Self-test Log (GP Log 0x07) not supported

Warning! SMART Self-Test Log Structure error: invalid SMART checksum.
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 21333
Warning: ATA Specification requires self-test log structure revision number = 1
No self-tests have been logged.  [To run self-tests, use: smartctl -t]

Warning! SMART Selective Self-Test Log Structure error: invalid SMART checksum.
SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 21333
Note: revision number not 1 implies that no selective self-test has ever been run
 SPAN             MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1  144208245681050434    65536  Not_testing
    2                   0        0  Not_testing
    3                   0        0  Not_testing
    4                   0        0  Not_testing
    5                   0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

SCT Commands not supported

Device Statistics (GP/SMART Log 0x04) not supported

Pending Defects log (GP Log 0x0c) not supported

SATA Phy Event Counters (GP Log 0x11) not supported

I changed jumper from CS to master. When set on master it wouldn't discover it. I also removed the pin (as labeled) for slave and it just searched and searched.... never found it. Then I tried master in multi-hdd configuration. But that too was not discovered.