OGXbox.com

[FIXED] How did I do this... now a dead Philips DVD drive

russlb

Hi all,

I was putting the Xbox Softmod disc into the drive of my Xbox and then I hit the close button before I noticed it wasn't seated properly in the drive tray.  Several unpleasant sounds later I hate to take apart the DVD drive to get the disc out.  Now, the drive is recognized by the Xbox but when I insert a disc and close the drawer the motor stutter spins, then nothing and it shows as 'busy' to the xbox.

How up Schitz Creek am I?

Russellb

3 minutes ago, russlb said:

Hi all,

I was putting the Xbox Softmod disc into the drive of my Xbox and then I hit the close button before I noticed it wasn't seated properly in the drive tray.  Several unpleasant sounds later I hate to take apart the DVD drive to get the disc out.  Now, the drive is recognized by the Xbox but when I insert a disc and close the drawer the motor stutter spins, then nothing and it shows as 'busy' to the xbox.

How up Schitz Creek am I?

Russellb

Take it apart and inspect / re-seat it / test.

1 hour ago, russlb said:

Could the disc wrattling around in there do that?

Well the story ended happy.  The motor that spins the disc had failed.  Must have been stuck by the disc and then burnt out not being able to spin.  I had a dead drive in the garage that I pulled from another xbox.  I swapped the motor out and viola... works again.  Also took the opportunity to clean out the insides.  

Thanks for the quick responses!

• Like 1

• KaosEngineer changed the title to [FIXED] How did I do this... now a dead Philips DVD drive
  • KaosEngineer locked this topic