OGXbox.com

Green LED Flashing After 128 MB RAM Upgrade

calebTree

I have a 1.0 and I flashed XBlast to the TSOP then tested each chip as I went. Once all 4 were passing I reinstalled OpenXenium and attempted to boot iND-BIOS-5003. Only, the LED flashes green and it doesn't boot. I tested several homebrew BIOS loaded from OpenXenium and they all have the same problem.

I'm considering triple-checking for shorts (or reflowing with hot air) yet I'm surprised because XBlast boots and says all 4 RAM passes.

I found a couple of Reddit posts with the exact problem:

I'd like to avoid doing anything drastic as XBlast finally states all 4 RAM are passing.

The only other oddity is (even before this above error) when FTP to OpenXenium the drives (C, E, F) do not show up. Yet, the drives were available when FTP to a homebrew dash like UnleashX. Tested a different XBOX and FTP to OpenXenium all drivers were available.

Edited by calebTree

Thanks for the reply @SS_Dave. In my experience I've not been able to boot XBlast (cromwell) from OpenXenium on a 1.0. I attribute that to Issue #6 on the OpenXenium GitHub. 

So far, I've tried different cables (A/V, IDE) and even a different HDD. I also reflowed a little (not every chip yet). All chips still pass XBlast testing, and it is still not booting to a normal dash. 

This thread I found useful https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/xbox-flashing-green-only-green.505446/. I still have not found anything conclusive yet.

Edited by calebTree

9 minutes ago, calebTree said:

Thanks for the reply @SS_Dave. In my experience I've not been able to boot XBlast (cromwell) from OpenXenium on a 1.0. I attribute that to Issue #6 on the OpenXenium GitHub. 

So far, I've tried different cables and even a different HDD. I also reflowed a little (not every chip yet) and although all chips still pass XBlast testing it is still not booting to a normal dash. 

This thread I found useful https://forums.afterdawn.com/threads/xbox-flashing-green-only-green.505446/. I still have not found anything conclusive yet.

I've had this issue before and has always been ram chip(s) needed touch up.

7 hours ago, Donnie-Burger said:

I've had this issue before and has always been ram chip(s) needed touch up.

Thanks for your thoughts @Donnie-Burger.

Well, I reflowed all the RAM. I even reseated one of the chips which was a little crooked and which I believed to be the culprit. I got them all passing the XBlast tests. The IND-bios flubber comes up which is a start. Only now it cuts to a black screen as soon as I hear it trying to load the dash from the HDD. The LED is solid green. Also, it does load a disk ex. OG-XBOX Installer. When I hit the eject button at the black screen the iND-bios splash logo appears again briefly then it goes black again.

I was very satisfied with my reflowing results. I'm back to the same dilemma. I could quadruple check the RAM.

Before this, I kind of believed if XBlast says all 4 RAM pass then it's a done deal.

Edited by calebTree

13 minutes ago, calebTree said:

Thanks for your thoughts @Donnie-Burger.

Well, I reflowed all the RAM. I even reseated one of the chips which was a little crooked and which I believed to be the culprit. I got them all passing the XBlast tests. The IND-bios flubber comes up which is a start. Only now it cuts to a black screen as soon as I hear it trying to load the dash from the HDD. The LED is solid green. Also, it does load a disk ex. OG-XBOX Installer. When I hit the eject button at the black screen the iND-bios splash logo appears again briefly then it goes black again.

I was very satisfied with my reflowing results. I'm back to the same dilemma. I could quadruple check the RAM.

Before this, I kind of believed if XBlast says all 4 RAM pass then it's a done deal.

Try another bios = Titan and cerbios have 128mb support.

@Donnie-Burger Thanks again for your help.

24 minutes ago, calebTree said:

Also, it does load a disk ex. OG-XBOX Installer.

Okay, so realizing it loads disks, and also to rule out some 3D rendering issue I attempted to load a 3D game from disk. That worked fine so then I had the confidence to run the factory reset from OG-XBOX Installer. That also worked and it took me to the default XBOX dashboard, so SUCCESS 😅!

I'll keep this posted on the 128MB ram functionality or any other bugs I run into.

Edited by calebTree
  • Like 1