OGXbox.com

Softmodded xbox worked Perfectly yesterday, now it's not turning on. What do I need to do to fix this?

Blaazee

Moderator Edit: Hey all. Currently having issues with my xbox. Have opened it 3 times now to re-examine it, and I have NO idea what I need to do to get it to turn on again. Here's a video I made showing the mobo, and explaining everything I've done and checked. Please let me know what you think, I'd love to do whatever I can to avoid needing to buy another box. Literally any help at all is greatly appreciated, please let me know. I read around some more and I've read it Might be a blown transistor, (As this seems to be a common problem with 1.6 mobos, which I believe mine is, last time I checked. Was a couple years ago, tho I'm pretty confident it's a 1.6.) or that I might need to solder new capacitors, or new cable, etc. Man, I'm just wondering if these might just be too old to buy anymore. Seems like nowadays they just break out of nowhere, and no matter how many I buy and replace, they just break down anyways  Any way to prevent that from happening? Is there any kind of scene out there to completely overhaul these things to make them actually last longer than a few years? Please let me know what I should do, and Thanks in advanced! 

Here's a video I recorded to showcase the issue I'm encountering: 

Not sure why the black background with black font color for the original text: <End Edit>
Hey all. Currently having issues with my xbox. Have opened it 3 times now to re-examine it, and I have NO idea what I need to do to get it to turn on again. Here's a video I made showing the mobo, and explaining everything I've done and checked. Please let me know what you think, I'd love to do whatever I can to avoid needing to buy another box. Literally any help at all is greatly appreciated, please let me know. I read around some more and I've read it Might be a blown transistor, (As this seems to be a common problem with 1.6 mobos, which I believe mine is, last time I checked. Was a couple years ago, tho I'm pretty confident it's a 1.6.) or that I might need to solder new capacitors, or new cable, etc. Man, I'm just wondering if these might just be too old to buy anymore. Seems like nowadays they just break out of nowhere, and no matter how many I buy and replace, they just break down anyways :/ Any way to prevent that from happening? Is there any kind of scene out there to completely overhaul these things to make them actually last longer than a few years? Please let me know what I should do, and Thanks in advanced! 

5 hours ago, Blaazee said:
Hey all. Currently having issues with my xbox. Have opened it 3 times now to re-examine it, and I have NO idea what I need to do to get it to turn on again. Here's a video I made showing the mobo, and explaining everything I've done and checked. Please let me know what you think, I'd love to do whatever I can to avoid needing to buy another box. Literally any help at all is greatly appreciated, please let me know. I read around some more and I've read it Might be a blown transistor, (As this seems to be a common problem with 1.6 mobos, which I believe mine is, last time I checked. Was a couple years ago, tho I'm pretty confident it's a 1.6.) or that I might need to solder new capacitors, or new cable, etc. Man, I'm just wondering if these might just be too old to buy anymore. Seems like nowadays they just break out of nowhere, and no matter how many I buy and replace, they just break down anyways :/ Any way to prevent that from happening? Is there any kind of scene out there to completely overhaul these things to make them actually last longer than a few years? Please let me know what I should do, and Thanks in advanced! 

The 3 caps next to the CPU and the 1(the 2 caps) next to the 20 pin power connector need replacing.

All capacitors are going to fail and they are the weakest component in any electronics.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 1

You guys are amazing! So, just to make absolutely sure, It's Definitely the capacitors I need to replace? Not the Transistor? Also, Sorry for the bad screenshot (Got it from the vid and didn't wanna go through opening my xbox again just yet) but, is it these capacitors you're talking about that need to be replaced? All 5 of these?

and if I replace my capacitors, what kind should I get to replace them? I looked somewhere and someone said these would work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DYJERPC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Is that true? I just wanna make sure before I destroy my xbox or buy the wrong thing XD

mobocap replacements.png

18 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Don't buy caps on Amazon or eBay. Buy from Digikey or Mouser. 

Panasonic Low ESR 3300uF 6.3v (10v would be also ok.)

Mrs. Edit: And yes caps not transistors.

Oh? Alrighty then, I understand. Here's some I found on Digikey: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/panasonic-electronic-components/EEU-FS0J332B/7381155
Should these work? I can just use these for all 5 without any issues? Also, would a 10v make a difference? as in would the xbox actually be able to use that voltage, or is it really just fine to use 6.3 and there wouldn't be any downgrade/disadvantage? (Did I also highlight to correct caps in my previous image? ^^)

Edited by Blaazee

Yes but, if the 20 cents more don't hurt, buy some of the FR series : 

Yes you can replace all 5 with them. And 10v would not make that much of difference so 6.3v is fine. 

EDIT : Scratch the FR series. Saw they down have some. So you are good with the others as well. :)

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

Yes but, if the 20 cents more don't hurt, buy some of the FR series : 

Yes can replace all 5 with them. And 10v would not make that much of difference so 6.3v is fine. 

Excellent! Thank you soso much for all your help! I greatly appreciate it ♥ Any of those two links that you personally recommend? Or are they both relatively exactly the same? (Besides the size, of course) Also, those seem to be out of stock? ^^;

edit: ah, just saw your edit. So I'll be good with the ones I linked before? ^^

Edited by Blaazee