OGXbox.com

followed online advice re xmbc emustation, now stuck with fatal error on boot up no suitable skins . agggghhhhhh!!!!!

masterbateson

Im quite embarassed to have to admit this, but im finding some of this modding stuff quite difficult dispite being an electrical/electronic engineer and have worked as a technician a various roles for over 30 years.
Maybe its my age?

I have got myself in a jam, I wanted to remove xbmc emustation and go back to unleash (sorry) but i was struggling to get emustation to work.
Ive ended up with the Fatal error msg.

(XBMC Fatal Error:
No suitable skin version found
We require at least version 2.1000
IP Address: 192.168.0.6
Starting FTP server...)

Further more prior to this, i have been struggling to make a ISO image of extras disc.

everytime ive downloaded it from git hub 613mb, when i try to unzip it i get an error msg from winzip?
also if i try to make an ISO image and open zip file with imgburn or similar the folder appears to be empty?

what am i doing wrong?

from the XBMC Fatal error screen, can i just drag and drop something to rescue this from pcp using FTP client.

I want to weep!!!! :oops:
Paul B aka Masterbateson

p.s. Just found out there is a slight fly in my ointment, in as much as when i fished out my laptops DVD drive, i found out its only a ROM :roll:

so untill i can sort something out I cant burn a disc.

I was kinda hoping I could FTP the missing files to the HDD or boot from my Memory stick, i was hoping like when ive recovered a pc b4 using a recovery image on a usb drive.
Guess Xbob doesnt play like that.

suppose im going to have to find somewhere to burn a disc, annoying thing is Ive several old full size dvd re writers kicking about in the attic.

Thanks again for help, will sort disc out 1st b4 i try anything else.
cheers
MrB

ive had this error before when i did an update on xbmc4gamers and it failed.  if you can connect the xbox to your router you should get the ip address displayed and you can ftp unleashx or whatever you want as your dash, the file locations may depend on whether your xbox is soft or hard modded though

Is your xbox softmodded or does it have a chip/tsop flash?

From that error screen as said above you can connect via ftp while that screen is showing. Do that and then show us a screenshot of your C drive contents and E drive contents. 

Then someone will be able to tell you what you need to do to fix your problem.

Edited by nikeymikey

1 hour ago, masterbateson said:

Thanks for the reply, but unsure what id be transfering? a folder for say unleash?]

and to where if im softmodded

ta

Paul

You need to download the xbmc.log file to see why there's a problem now.  FTP to the address shown in the error message and download that file.  Post it as an attachment to a reply.

4 hours ago, masterbateson said:

Further more prior to this, i have been struggling to make a ISO image of extras disc.

everytime ive downloaded it from git hub 613mb, when i try to unzip it i get an error msg from winzip?
also if i try to make an ISO image and open zip file with imgburn or similar the folder appears to be empty?

what am i doing wrong?

Download the Xbox Softmodding Tools Extras Disc.iso from Rocky5's pre-built Xbox Softmodding Tool Build 1.1.8 repository instead of buiilding it from the github.com source files.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xTpK-VoZX_uzyztk3zdnDaOdEcfOqPJb

Edit: Is the dot iso file there the 613.1MB file you are trying to extract from?  You don't extract the files from it.  You burn that disc image to a DVD-R disc.  Or, you can use the attach app in the Extras subfolder at the link previously provided to run it from the hard drive.  Instructions on how to do so in the Documents subfolder there.

Windows and many other standard ISO file extracting apps do not understand the format of the content stored in this dot iso file.  It is in a special XISO format disc image, not a standard ISO9660 disc image.

Use Xbox-Scene homebrew apps Qwix or C-Xbox Tool to see the content or there is a commercial Windows disc image application (free demo available with the only restriction of how big a disc image you can create - 300MBs) that does understand how to view/extract the contentf from this special XBOX XISO format disc image - PowerISO.  Oh, it does also have a delayed startup prompting you to purchase the application before you can run it by clicking the appropriate button after a short delay to continue using the trial version.

That error message, in any XBMC variant, is typical of any error with XBMC but it does tend to be because the skin being used is incompatible, corrupt or missing.

Not knowing XBMC Emustation I would have assumed it used its own particular skin. Isn't it basically a unique XBMC skin?

EDIT

I just had a quick rummage around a downloaded copy of XBMC_Emustation. It doesn't use a "skin" folder but apparently a default (and carbon?) skin theme: "emustation" > "themes"  > "simple".

Why you're getting this error message, unless you messed with that theme folder or deleted it I'm not sure what might provoke it.

However the way you'd solve the problem with XBMC4Xbox ie. vanilla XBMC is to trigger a reset of the XBMC UserData > guisettings.xml folder:-

https://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/wiki/Settings

This is just for informational purposes. Whether it is appropriate in this case I do not know so I'm certainly not suggesting you try it.

As said, my experience is with vanilla XBMC4Xbox not Emustation and, should the themes folder have been deleted, it will not work even though there is a backup folder containing "simple" and other important XMLs. However if you can still gain FTP access repopulating that "themes" folder with a good copy of the default XBMC Emustation "simple" theme folder it might be one solution.

But with FTP access it would probably be just as easy to remove XBMC Emustation completely and replace it with an UnleashX main dash. But you would have to know what you're doing because there is a high degree of risk involved with a softmod. You could lose FTP access entirely. 

Edited by HDShadow
new info

thanks for the replies guys.

going to try and source an external dvdrw drive for my laptop, as cant burn a disc at mo.

once ive done that im hopefully going to be able to recover it by booting the xbox through its optical drive with the extras disc.

such a pain in the ass that my laptop drive is just a rom.

Im going to try the simple option 1st b4 i try anything more exotic/challenging.

thanks again.

MrB

Just thought I'd add some other info.
Preety sure i know exactly how this happened.
was in emustation at time and wanted to go back to using unleash.

Before i did this i went online to see how i could do this, and read a post which suggested it was as easy as deleting the emustation folder.

I was a bit sceptical, and also worried as i was already in emustation, and thought (if i delete this folder is it not going to cause me any probs??)
seems i was right to worry about this.

Because as soon as i did this and rebooted, we ended up in this situation.

I thought it would be possible to swap between emustation and another dashboard?
bit like dual boot? Dont think i would have installed it, if i knew i was going to be stuck on it.

2 hours ago, masterbateson said:

Just thought I'd add some other info.
Preety sure i know exactly how this happened.
was in emustation at time and wanted to go back to using unleash.

Before i did this i went online to see how i could do this, and read a post which suggested it was as easy as deleting the emustation folder.

I was a bit sceptical, and also worried as i was already in emustation, and thought (if i delete this folder is it not going to cause me any probs??)
seems i was right to worry about this.

Because as soon as i did this and rebooted, we ended up in this situation.

I thought it would be possible to swap between emustation and another dashboard?
bit like dual boot? Dont think i would have installed it, if i knew i was going to be stuck on it.

Yeah, one step left out of the suggestion to delete XBMC-Emustation's installation folder especially if it is currently being used is that some files/folders are in use and cannot be deleted. To delete all of XBMC-Emustation, you need to run a different replacement dashboard and from its File Manager or by connecting to the console with an FTP client delete it.  That way, none of the content stored there is in use preventing it from being deleted.

• Like 1

Yay its alive again😜

Going to try and find out whats best to have on it 1st, as still learning.

Whats the thoughts out there?

Is XBMC emustation good and i just need to learn how it works, or am i better stopping with unleash?

Also next step is to replace the harddrive with a bigger one ive got kicking about, so clone original and install that.

next I am not sure what the best emulators are to install, dont wont everything, Id sooner have quality over quantity.

Dont want a load of games on just for the sake of it, and never have any intention of using,

Would be curious what applications people think are the best ones to have installed.

And still not figured out best place to get roms and emulators.

found some but prob not all.

Anyone out here done the HDMI mod?

Id like to know if theres a cheaper way of doing it, other than the kit ive seen so far.

Once again ta 4 the help b4, rocky5 disc saved the day.

Applications - most you will prob find that you never use. I would just add apps as and when you need them. Most are only useful for specific tasks and not for day to day usage. 

Xbins will be where you will find the emulators you are looking for.

OR

You could use the OGXbox Installer discs found on this very site to install your needed emus and apps.

I would check internet archive for most of the content you are looking for. Nointro and redump along with a system name are good search terms to use when looking for roms.

The HDMI mod is expensive and is also locked into compatibility with only 1 bios, M8+. Its quite a tricky install so if your not competent with a soldering iron then pay for it to be installed. 

Personally I am waiting a while to see if any other native hdmi solutions crop up for the Xbox. Black Dog Tech have made HDMI solutions for N64, Dreamcast and PS1, all are feature rich and work very well so i'm hoping for something from them. Also bear in mind that very few Xbox games actually support anything above 480p without being patched. Those patches also don't always play nice. 

I already have an xbox with HDMI out but its a previous tech mod that is not a digital to digital signal. Picture looks nice enough though. 

If you just want to play some games then I suggest looking at the other options available to connect an Xbox to a flatscreen tv. All sorts of solutions at a range of prices out there. Cheaper ones obviously compromise on picture quality but if that's a trade off you can handle then go for it. 

I feel like giving up!!!!😭

ive spent about 5 hours now trying to get xmbc emustation working.

I cannot no matter what ive tried , managed to install a single emulator, or rom.

This is so confusing and not at all straight forward.

Ive watched rocky 5s vid tutorial and was non the wiser after it😖

also watched this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIuPtGOOF6w

Im just going round and round in circles.

Ive tried several different paths/locations for the emulator folders and also the rom folders/files.

doesnt matter where i put them, emustation doesnt see them.

Also if i use scanner it finds nothing.

Even weirder, i used the downloader in emu, it claimed to have installed a emulator for me, but then still nothing on the carousel??????   Aggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! killl me now.

And this really is confusing me, After my initial prob, when i recovered the system, i did a reset back to factory reset.

Idea being starting again from a clean slate.

then did softmod again, then installed unleashx and added xbmc emustation as an application.

Now unless i do this all again(noooooooo)  im sure i started off with just C+E drives.

Now i have C,E and bloody Q+S drives🙄

Ive tried installing to E re emulators and roms and tried doing it to Q, either way i end up with nothing.

When emustation loads from scratch it has the paths for the emulators and roms pointing to Q???

if i put anything in Q it doesnt find it????]

so tried changing the paths to E, then put emulators and roms in there respective folders in E and still nothing.

Only thing that has added straight forward, is Xbox games via downloader, this then automatically created a new logo on the carousel with the games inside.

Why cant i get anything else to work.

I think i Hate this xbox modding lark, i feel so thick right now.

Call myself an engineer!🤪

Im going to solder something or use my multi meter on summat to try and make myself feel better.

Xbox has one for today , white flag i give up.

Xbox Hard Drive Partition Background Information

C and E are actual drive partitions that are present on any Xbox's hard drive.  C, 500MBs in size, holds the stock dashboard files and on a modded console the replacement dashboard or at least an app (dashloader, xswitch, XBE shortcut, etc.) used to access it when stored in an extended partition. More information on these extended partitions shortly. E; 4882.84 MBs in size; holds game saves, DLC content and soundtrack (ripped CD music) files. Also present on all Xbox hard drives are X, Y and Z partitions/drives. They are cache partitions. These partitions hold preloaded game data. Each one is 750MBs in size. 

On a modded console with a larger than 8GB hard drive, there can also be extended partitions. These  extended partitions are stored in the free space above a standard Xbox's hard drive size of 8GBs - partitions numbered 1 - 5 (E,C,X,Y,and Z respectively). The stock BIOS of the Xbox supports LBA28 drive access - yes 28-bit addressing - for a maximum hard drive size of 137GBs.  With the original BIOS's and modified BIOSes hackers created from them, LBA28 addressing limited the extended partition's size. An F drive /partition 6 was created in the free space above 8GBs limited to a maximum size of ~120GBs. 

A brilliant hacker, ozpaulb, came up with a method to expand the LBA28 access of an Xbox hard drive to LBA48 addressing. Well, not full LBA48 but limited to 32-bit addressing for a maximum Xbox hard drive size of 2.2TBs. ozpaulb's LBA48 kernal patch is available for both softmodded and hardmodded consoles. Support for more extended partitions was present, not just a 6th partition - F drive and a 7th partition - G drive but partitions 8 to 14 as well. ozpaulb's LBA48 partition table is stored in the first sector on the hard drive - sector 0. It can hold data for all of these partitions numbered 1 to 14.

Recent BIOS Updates in 2022

A person named gaasedelen on github.com has created a new Titan patch for Evolution-X's M8plus BIOS that expands the supported hard drive size up to 16TBs.  The extra space above 8GBs is all allocated to a huge F partition. There is no G drive avavilable in their current release.  Available only for a hardmodded console booting a Titan patched M8plus BIOS. Xbox v1.0-1.6 supported.

A second person or group, Team CerBIOS, has released an entirely new BIOS that expands the maximum Xbox's hard drive size to over 16TBs too. Adding support for hard modded consoles to use more than 2 extended partitions.  At present, only Xbox v1.0-1.4 are supported. 

These two increased drive size updates at this time are only supported on hard modded consoles.

XBMC-based Application Drive Letters

P, Q and S are not real drives/partitions on the Xbox hard drive.  They are virtual mapped drive letters created by XBMC-based applications when they are running. Not all of the XBMC-based applications have all of these mapped drives:

• XBMC4Xbox - Q only
  • XBMC4Gamers - P and Q
  • XBMC-Emustation - P, Q and S

Mapped Drive Letter Usage

P is mapped to the current user's profile location for XBMC4Gamers or XBMC-Emustation on the hard drive - the XBMC-based app's profile/UserData subfolder (e.g., E:\XBMC-Emustation\ system\UserData).

Q is mapped to the folder where the running XBMC-based applications' default.xbe is located on the hard drive (e.g., E:\XBMC-Emustation, F:\XBMC4Gamers, F:\Apps\XBMC4Xbox).

S is only present when running XBMC-Emustation. It is mapped to the folder that holds themes for XBMC-Emustation skin.

Other XBMC-based apps, XBMC4Xbox and XBMC4Gamers have similar mapped drives created when executed.

Download the xbmc.log file and look through it for messages about the creation of these mapped drives. This file should be found in Q:\ folder; howver, for XBMC4Gamers and XBMC-Emustation it is in the Q:\system subfolder. Connect to the application's FTP server from your PC using an FTP client (e.g., Filezilla, WinSCP, etc.) and download it.  Open it in a text editor to view its content.

• Like 1

quick update, not had chance to read your replies yet.]

gave up last night and resorted to carlsberg exp]ort and watching fri night dinner.

did a factory reset this morn, soft mod, then used unleash x.

then manually added emulators and roms via ftp.

now all good, emulators in unleash X and games.

Couldnt get anything to work using emustation

so some progress.

will have a catch up read l8r

ta

paul

KaosEngineer 

Thanks for your comprehensive explanations, i have to admit I speed read thru some of it, as its kinda gobbledegook to me at the mo.

Im confused .com why i couldnt get anything to work on emustation??

I mean I am really impressed with what rocky 5 has done with the softmod tool, and the extras discs, it all works so well.

but Xbmc emustation, very difficult to use.

I also thought seeing how well he's built other stuff and made it so easy, that downloader would have worked better?

In as much as 

1. if you use downloader for say getting an emulator, when it is transferring the files or upon completion, it doesnt tell you where its put them.

2. as the other stuff works so well, i thought i could just select a download, it would put it in the right place and install it so that its ready to use.

Going to have a look at the ogxbox installer mikey mentioned.

T

It does install the emulators in the right place ready for use. But they requires at least 1 rom/game to show on the carousel. 

no point have an entry with zero games and it doesn’t load and I get questions why have it there is it does noting blah blah 😂 can’t win either way. 

emustarion is as simple as putting roms in a folder and if the emulator is installed (20 by default) you scan in the system (it will tell you if there is no emulator) and wait. Now select your rom and enjoy. 

36 minutes ago, masterbateson said:

tried to get this OGXBox Installer 2021]

but says  links or files no longer available

https://mega.nz/folder/xUl13A4B#d_RMbhNrNA81QhgwoaUv4g

https://1fichier.com/dir/mX1kipIz

You just need to click on the Folder link for updates and it will take you to the folder. Maybe I bag Sir Kaos the next days to clean up that post a bit. ;)

oooh, hes popped up like magic🤩

Hello Rocky5,

Like i said love your work.

But ended up wasting 7 hours yesterday tryi]ng to get it to work.

Managed today in an hour, using unleashX.

Not a critism BTW, I just found it easier today.

Maybe I'll go back and have another try sometime.

As far as i know I dropped a rom in my emulators and still no joy?

But after so many hours buggering around my swede was completely mashed, so who knows what i was doing in the end 🤣