OGXbox.com

Toslink Adapter for Monster Cable Lightwave 100X Optical Cable - Where Can I Get One?

XboxMon

Hi.  I ordered a Monster Cable Lightwave 100X Optical Cable from eStarland to connect to the Monster Cable component cable I also purchased for the original Xbox but the dunces sent me just the 10' Monster Cable optical cable and no toslink adapter to connect it to the component cable so I can get 5.1 surround sound with my OGXbox.  Is this a standard toslink adapter that is readily available or is it one of Monster Cable's proprietary monsters?  In either case, where can I get one? Thanks for any help.

ETA: added photo of what the toslink adapter looks like, btw.

x119xlw100.jpeg

Edited by XboxMon

Yeah, turns out the TOSLINK adapter is totally proprietary.  Alas, can't find it being sold separately anywhere on eBay and can only get it in the set for a pretty penny.  Thank you and phuck you, eStarland.com, for just sending me that useless optical cable.  They'd better honor my request for an RMA

Edited by XboxMon

Update:  I may have found a dirt cheap solution to my problem of getting 5.1 digital surround sound out of my OGXbox through the Monster Cable component cable.  According to the last post in this topic on Reddit's r\originalxbox forum, I may just need to use a couple of cheap 3mm to 2mm/RCA adapters and a standard A/V RCA cable and instead of plugging it into the optical-in port of my Denon receiver, I use the coaxial digital-in port (RCA female) on my AVR and plug the 2mm male at the other end into my Monster Cable component cable.  Any experts here think this is feasible?  I tried out my new Monster Cable component cable today and the L/R RCA analog connections sound so damn hissy I can barely stand it at higher volumes.  I just want clean, crisp surround sound for my OGXbox.  It deserves it.

I think the Monster cable's adapter connects to the AVIP ports +5V, Ground and Digital output.  Use the following diagram as a reference to trace the connections from the 2.5mm jack to the AVIP port pins:

5bcc3af6e8d6a_HighDefAVPack.png.af00e2c8bd511e7464b5489e9883ce79.png

Connect the digital output and ground to the coaxial input on your digital receiver or add a Toshiba TOTX177 (not exactly sure if this is the correct model number to use as there are several different optical transmitters available) TOSLink optical transmitter and capacitor as shown.

I suspect the 2.5mm plug's tip is 5Vdc (AVIP pin 1), the top section, the sleeve, is ground (AVIP pin 24) and the central smaller width section, the ring, is the digital data (AVIP pin 6).

5bcc3c9c5a91a_ogXboxAVIPPinout.png.fb65ca7ba5f919b0bc1cd94c143657de.png

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Thanks 1

Final update:  using a pair of regular audio adapters (stereo 2.5mm male to 3.5mm female and a stereo male 3.5mm to RCA phono female) with an RCA male to RCA male audio or video cable plugged into my coaxial digital-in on my AVR worked.  I'm now getting perfect Dolby D 5.1 surround sound for my original Xbox.  It's a great cheap fix for those wanting to use the digital optical jack on their Monster Cable Component cable for their OGXbox without having to buy Monster's optical cable with the proprietary dongle, which can run $30 to $100 (!) on eBay.  No soldering or figuring out pin layouts needed.  The only problem is the 2.5mm adapter only goes half-way in the digital optical jack on the monster cable and you may have to jiggle it a bit to get the sound to kick in but, hey, it works. 

Sooo nice to hear digital music and audio coming from my OGXbox with absolutely no hiss.  Put on MechAssault and have a blast with 5.1 surround sound in all its glory!

Edited by XboxMon
  • Like 1

Nothing fancy.  Just a low end Denon AVR with a pair of Sony Cores for front L & R, a Polk for Center, and a pair of inexpensive Monoprice speakers (sound surprising good for $40/pair) for rear L/R.  No subwoofer right now because the landlord's office is directly below.  The 5.1 system is Dolby Digital 5.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Another update: alas, I had to give up this method of enabling 5.1 surround sound on my system.  I'm getting severe and constant cut-outs of the audio now.  It's surely caused by the fact that I can't push the 2.5mm male adapter all the way into the optical/digital 2.5mm female jack on the Monster Cable component cable.  Why it won't go all the way in I have no idea since the original 2.5mm male Monster Cable toslink adapter/dongle looks identical in the pics to my 2.5mm adapter and seems the same length.   The guy I got this trick from on Reddit said his fits snugly.  There must be a defect in my Monster Cable's optical port or perhaps something broke off inside by the previous owner (I bought the component cable used).  So I now have no digital audio.  Back to square one :(

On 10/21/2018 at 4:40 AM, KaosEngineer said:

I think the Monster cable's adapter connects to the AVIP ports +5V, Ground and Digital output.  Use the following diagram as a reference to trace the connections from the 2.5mm jack to the AVIP port pins:

5bcc3af6e8d6a_HighDefAVPack.png.af00e2c8bd511e7464b5489e9883ce79.png

Connect the digital output and ground to the coaxial input on your digital receiver or add a Toshiba TOTX177 (not exactly sure if this is the correct model number to use as there are several different optical transmitters available) TOSLink optical transmitter and capacitor as shown.

I suspect the 2.5mm plug's tip is 5Vdc (AVIP pin 1), the top section, the sleeve, is ground (AVIP pin 24) and the central smaller width section, the ring, is the digital data (AVIP pin 6).

5bcc3c9c5a91a_ogXboxAVIPPinout.png.fb65ca7ba5f919b0bc1cd94c143657de.png

As a last resort, I'm going to attempt to mod a coaxial digital audio output on my Xbox 1.6 using your diagram (thx btw).  Though I'd rather not be soldering stuff directly onto the pcb of the underside of the motherboard, if I'm successful I'll have a nice digital audio out on my OG Xbox.  However, doing further research, I seem to be getting from different people different pins I should be connecting to.  This guy's video on youtube starting at 3:40 for example claims that just pin 6 (digital out) and pin 5 (left ground audio) can be used. Has anyone on this forum actually done this mod and had success with it?  Before I go monkeying around with soldering points on my pcb I'd like to get further opinions.  There's mention in the video about bridging something or grounding a pin that the guy in the video didn't have to do but that other's might.  This worries me. lol.

Edited by XboxMon