OGXbox.com

Why does the HD AV pack usually cost so much?

I recently bought a "working" stock v1.0 with a duke controller off Ebay, but turns out the seller's head is empty because they shipped it with zero padding and it now FRAGs, awesome. The thing is, it came with an HD AV pack which looks like it goes for a good bit more than what I paid. So, is this a win/resell or what? Not sure the console is too good for parts.

Edited by SoftMachine

• 1 month later...

I actually bought a modded x360 component cable from ebay to use on my xbox with the retrotink. The original stuff is too expensive, not to mention that we did nog get an HD scart alternative in Europe. Component was quite rare back in the day in Europe. 

Anyway, personally I would keep it. But I have a use for it with my upscaler. If you can’t use the cable and have no plans and aren’t a collector I would just sell it. Take the money and buy another xbox. I would first try to repair the current XBOX off course.

• 3 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 10:04 AM, RazorStoJ said:

Try somewhere outside of Ebay, I managed to pick-up a HD AV pack from a Japan auction  proxy site for $20 as Xbox wasn't big over there as they enjoyed the playstation. The hardware was generally cheaper and sold as junk.

They take good care of their possessions over there for the most part as well. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jailer said:

When you guys are talking HD AV pack are you talking about the component cables or something different?

The HD AV pack is like a dongle that plugs into your Xbox AV port that has component outputs on it. That's where component cables can be plugged into.
It's like a 2 piece setup.

2 hours ago, Jailer said:

Ok it's different than what I have. I have an xbox branded component cord for my xbox that is quite heavy and has an optical digital output near the connector end and thought that's what this thread was talking about.

There are two different Microsoft component video adapters/cables for the original Xbox:

The HD AV pack that included a set of component video Red, Green, Blue RCA cables as well as a stereo analog audio Red and White RCA jack cable and the all-in-one component video cable you mention.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, Halo_2 said:

Whats the difference between xbox high definition av pack and 360 modded AV cables for a xbox.

According to the person that sells the modded 360 cables you won't notice anything different unless you force 720P/1080i and NTSC.
Wouldn't it work just fine on PAL mode?

Why are modded 360 cables necessary? There are component cables for the Xbox, aren't there?

2 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Why are modded 360 cables necessary? There are component cables for the Xbox, aren't there?

Yeah that’s what I was thinking as well. In my experience the HD pack with quality cables between pack and tv tends to give the best results. The Microsoft branded component cables are costly but work pretty well if you find one (though usually the cost is more than the HD AV pack) The cheaper ones you find on eBay, Amazon, etc are hit or miss in my experience. Some are good but some are garbage or they’ll work for a bit and crap out after 3 months. The modded 360 cable always looked like more trouble than it was worth for not much gain.  Again this is all my own experiences and those of friends. There’s always the hdmi converters with the separate power supply but I haven’t gone this route with the og Xbox so I don’t know how well they work in that regard. 

• Like 1

Monster / Xbox component / Xbox HD Pack all perform identically in my experience, as do X360 modded cables. It's kind of pointless to spend extra money on the OEM ones as opposed to cheaper modded X360 cables.

One difference is the type of connector used for sending digital audio to an amplifier. Monster cables use a 2.5mm connector that's supposed to connect to a dongle for digital optical audio (toslink), but those dongles get lost often and you can instead use a 2.5mm-to-RCA cable and connect to an amp via its digital coax input and get the same outcome. Xbox component and AV packs have a digital optical (toslink) port.

Tony Kuberka from The Xbox Modder's Market is a reputable seller for anyone looking for these. Or make your own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, GoTeamScotch said:

Monster / Xbox component / Xbox HD Pack all perform identically in my experience, as do X360 modded cables. It's kind of pointless to spend extra money on the OEM ones as opposed to cheaper modded X360 cables.

One difference is the type of connector used for sending digital audio to an amplifier. Monster cables use a 2.5mm connector that's supposed to connect to a dongle for digital optical audio (toslink), but those dongles get lost often and you can instead use a 2.5mm-to-RCA cable and connect to an amp via its digital coax input and get the same outcome. Xbox component and AV packs have a digital optical (toslink) port.

Tony Kuberka from The Xbox Modder's Market is a reputable seller for anyone looking for these. Or make your own.

I have the monster cables and I actually now plan to make the optical port since you supplied the link. Thank you for doing that :)