OGXbox.com

Is this OG Xbox savable...

OldCrapGamer

Hi guys, first post, so take it easy on me lol ;)

Recently Got an OG Xbox, and as I'd had launch day Xbox blow up, I knew about the clock capacitor, (my old xecutor modded Xbox went with a pop adout 15 years ago :o

Anyway, I'm rambling... 

I opened up this one to check/remove the cap, and it had already leaked, the Xbox was working before opened it, but the clock would not hold time..

the board looks pretty bad so I'm wondering if it's worth spending the time getting the new cap and fitting it.. I should also mention, that despite having a soldering iron, I'm a 100% noob... I'm sure I can replace the cap, but honestly, that's about the extent of my ability lol..

attached is a photo of the board, also, would an Xbox boot without the clock cap ? If so, I'll re assemble it and test it before I order the replacement cap..

treated the area with contact cleaner & a little wd40 

IMG_20220608_091745.jpg

23 minutes ago, OldCrapGamer said:

It's still working :) gonna be a pain having to enter the time every time I wanna use it tho lol :)

thanks for the advise m8

The clock cap would not have been working any and even from new the Xbox would only keep the time for hours anyway, As long as the AC in is connected and it's powered on at the wall it will keep time.

If you use xbmc4gamers and the Xbox is connected to your home network it will set the clock from the net on boot.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, OldCrapGamer said:

It's still working :) gonna be a pain having to enter the time every time I wanna use it tho lol :)

thanks for the advise m8

No worries, As Dave says above if its plugged in it wont lose the time and if you use XBMX with a net connection you'll be golden.

:)

On a modded console, UnleashX, Evoxdash and several other replacement dashboards automatically set the time from a Network Time Protocol (NTP) server. That is, as long as the console is connected to your home network with access to the Internet.  It is not just XMBC that supports this feature.

Edit: There are applications than can configure a Windows PC to be an NTP server.  Thus, the part of the statement above about Internet access required is not quite right.