OGXbox.com

Unable to lock HDD with XboxHDM23USB and IDE to SATA adapter

amak79

41 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Try one of the older versions of the application - Beta 2 or Beta 3.  

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/gxhc0h34e14at/XboxHDM

When I tried Beta 2 the HDD could not be listed. I think it's because the PATA2SATA3 adapter I'm using is IDE to SATA and not IDE to USB so XboxHDM23USB Beta 2/3 wont list it. With Beta 4 I could toggle safe mode to list all drives.

35 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Do you know the USB adapter's VendorID:DeviceID value?

It may require a different command-line option to work with the unlocking application, smartctl v7.2, in the Beta 4 release.

You can find it by running the standalone Windows application usbview.exe.  Look for the USB adapter in the information provided and note the values.

The USB adapter I tried is a Simplecom SA491. I gave up on it after it wasn't recognized by XboxHDM23USB so I don't know the USB IDs and the adapter isn't mine so I can't check now.

On 6/9/2022 at 9:06 AM, GoTeamScotch said:
  1. Unlock your drive using this command:
    smartctl --device=sat --set=security-eeprom-unlock,..\eeprom.bin /dev/sdX
    (Replace "sdX" with your drive letter from Step 5)
    The command above references "eeprom.bin". In this case, the eeprom.bin file is located one-folder up from where smartctl is located on my PC.
  2. Disable your drive's password entirely using this command:
    smartctl --device=sat --set=security-eeprom-disable,..\eeprom.bin /dev/sdX
    (Replace "sdX" with your drive letter from Step 5)

With the adapter I use, I cannot unlock the drive and then use it right away. I have to disable the password and disconnect and reconnect the drive before Windows will let me use it with FATXplorer.

According to Eaton, this isn't a common problem. So there may very well be better adapters out there where you don't have to disable the password and re-mount it.

I think the problem is that I was only unlocking the drive and not disabling the security as suggested by @GoTeamScotch. However the owner of the Xbox was just happy that I was able to lock the drive and get the Xbox working again, and he has had enough of all the issues and will just use the USB stick method.

I have a locked IDE drive that came with my 1.4 Xbox so I can test the PATA2SATA3 adapter with it. I'll wait for the new FATXplorer with locking/unlocking support and report back. It would be nice to know if the adapter can properly unlock drives so it can be added to the list of known working adapters.

Edited by amak79

1 hour ago, amak79 said:

When I tried Beta 2 the HDD could not be listed. I think it's because the PATA2SATA3 adapter I'm using is IDE to SATA and not IDE to USB so XboxHDM23USB Beta 2/3 wont list it. With Beta 4 I could toggle safe mode to list all drives.

Yes, using the menu system of Beta 2 or 3 only works to access Xbox hard drive connected to a PC with a USB-to-HDD interface adapter.

You can manually run from an administrative, Run as Administrator, cmd.exe windows the smartctl.exe command as @GoTeamScotchmentioned.  The syntax looks a little different than what I've used but possibly both command line options are supported

Unlock the drive to gain access, this does not remove the lock.  Once the hard drive is reset or power cycled it will again be locked until the password is sent:

• smartctl.exe -d sat -s security-eeprom-unlock,..\eeprom.bin /dev/sd?

To completely remove the locking password, the following command is issued:

• smartctl.exe -d sat -s security-eeprom-disable,..\eeprom.bin /dev/sd?

NOTE: -d sat may or may not work depending which chipset the USB-to-HDD adapter is based. There are several other device type options that may need to be used instead.  For some adapters, no -d chipset_name is required.  The software can determine on its own which chipset is being used.

Replace the ? with the correct device name determined from the output of the Windows command:

• wmic get diskdrive model,name

This command will display all of the disk drive devices Windows recognizes are attached to the computer returning a list of names in the format:

• \\.\PHYSICALDRIVEN, where N = 0,1,2,3,etc.

Determine which device is the Xbox hard drive. Then, using the value of N, convert it to the Linux-style device name that smartctl.exe uses: if N = 0, ? = a; if N = 1, ? = b, etc.

1 hour ago, amak79 said:

The USB adapter I tried is a Simplecom SA491. I gave up on it after it wasn't recognized by XboxHDM23USB so I don't know the USB IDs and the adapter isn't mine so I can't check now.

Ah, this adapter is a USB 3.0 device.  USB 2.0 adapters have a better chance of being supported by smartctl.exe than USB 3.0 ones.  However, you need to determine which chipset is uses.  Other -d <device_chipset> command-line options may allow the application to work.

Supported_USB-Devices – smartmontool - smartctl.exe 

37 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

However, you need to determine which chipset is uses.

I only remember that the chipset vendor was Initio. There is one entry for Initio in the smartmontool database but it's for a USB 2.0 chipset. It's not that important since I'm using the StarTech PATA2SATA3 adapter which at least will lock a drive.

Edited by amak79

• 2 weeks later...

I tested FATXplorer 3.0 Beta 21 which added lock/unlock support. I tried with a locked 200 GB IDE drive that came with my hard modded 1.4 Xbox. It now has a 1 TB SATA drive. I wasn't able to unlock it with the HDD key supplied from the EEPROM file, kept getting an "IO error. The password is probably wrong" message.

I was able to unlock it with the TEAMASSEMBLY master password. I then locked it with the HDD key from the EEPROM file and after that FATXplorer had no problem unlocking the drive. It takes about 2.5 minutes to detect and unlock the drive which is normal according the FATXplorer 3.0 Beta 21 info page. I don't know why it couldn't unlock initially, but I ended up removing the password since my Xbox is hard modded.

Screenshot-1.thumb.png.26af1d0a2adef8b52a891451ca604fa0.png

Screenshot-2.thumb.png.be9a65f818766a77466a34d2ee633033.png

I suppose the StarTech PATA2SATA3 can be added to the list of known working adapters, although it's not as convenient as a USB adapter.

I have the same problem had a 40gb drive from old xbox and had it's backup eeprom etc  and still got this message "IO error. The password is probably wrong" message...So tried all other password options but none worked...

I have another 5 xbox drives that are from failed xboxes from 30gb up to 80gb none of which I have eeprom for so no chance of unlocking them to use on pc or in another xbox.

are there no other options to format these to fat32, or ntsc etc? 

Edited by tomahawk

10 hours ago, tomahawk said:

I have the same problem had a 40gb drive from old xbox and had it's backup eeprom etc  and still got this message "IO error. The password is probably wrong" message...So tried all other password options but none worked...

Try running the patched smartctl.exe command-line applicaion included with XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or Beta 3 in a Run as Administrator cmd.exe window. 

You will need to determine the proper device name to use with the command.  From the cmd.exe command prompt run the following command:

• wmic diskdrive get model,name

which of the entries is the Xbox drive.  Note the name's value, \\.\PHYSCIALDRIVEN, for it.  N=0,1,2,3,etc.  Translate this number to the letter used for smartctl.exe's device name, /dev/sd?, ?=a,b,c,d, etc. respectively.

Run the smartctl.exe command to check the current security status of the hard drive:

• smartctl.exe -g security /dev/sd?

Place a copy the correct eeprom.bin file for this hard drive in the folder where smartctl.exe is located.  Issue the following command:

• smartctl.exe -s security-eeprom-unlock,eeprom.bin /dev/sd?

Next, check the current security status:

NOTE: For all of the smartctl.exe commands, change the ? in /dev/sd? to the letter that corresponds to the Xbox hard drive.

I have another 5 xbox drives that are from failed xboxes from 30gb up to 80gb none of which I have eeprom for so no chance of unlocking them to use on pc or in another xbox.

are there no other options to format these to fat32, or ntsc etc? 

Check the lock status of these drives.  If installed in a hard modded Xbox, they may not be locked. 

Double check the device name that Windows has assigned to the drive each time you connect one. The PHYSICALDRIVEN value may be different than you think it is especially if you have connected / disconnected any other USB devices. The /dev/sd? value to use with smartctl.exe to work with the attached Xbox hard drive may have changed.

If it is locked, you may still be able to unlock it with either the manufacturer's MASTER password or one of the xbox scene eeprom tool's MASTER passwords - TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE.

What are the brands and models of these 30 to 80GB hard drives?

Edit: The above smartctl.exe commands only temporarily unlock the hard drive to gain read/write accces to its content.  After an IDE bus reset or power cycle of the hard drive, it will again be locked.  To permanently unlock / remove the ATA security password, issue the following command:

• smartctl.exe -s security-eeprom-disable,eeprom.bin /dev/sd?

Unlocking using HDD key also uses the disk model number and serial number in the calculation of the actual password used to unlock the drive. If this is failing, and the HDD key is for-sure correct, check that the model number and serial number as seen in FATXplorer is correct.

Additionally, some mod installers on the Xbox have an option to create an "hddinfo.txt" file. If anyone else runs into an error where FATXplorer says the password may be wrong, send me the following:

1. Your hddinfo.txt.
  2. Support package created using the menu in FATXplorer. After the unlock attempt has failed.

@tomahawk Do you have an hddinfo.txt backed up with your EEPROM? If so, please perform those above steps so I can try and find why it's failing for you.

Sorry by the time I had seen this post I had already taken drives to skip with rubbish...Had enough trying to unlock them...Even with FATXplorerBeta64, It saw drive then when I pointed it to eeprom and and presse unlock it fails.

"Found USB device "QAMSUNE QP4002H USB Device" @ "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6"
-This device is not loaded. Checking for locked Original Xbox HDD...
--Device is locked, full status: ENABLED, PW level HIGH, **LOCKED** [SEC4] (0x0027)
--This device could not be automatically unlocked
-Checking this device for HDD and MU storage...
--Sector Format: N/A
--Health: Healthy
--Potential storage found, type: Original Xbox HDD
-Finished checking this device for HDD and MU storage
-Finished with this device "

Drives were only 30gb and 40gb anyway and one 80gb

Thanks for replies though

Untitled.png

On 6/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, amak79 said:

I wasn't able to unlock it with the HDD key supplied from the EEPROM file, kept getting an "IO error. The password is probably wrong" message.

This is the bug that Eaton identified. Although I was able to lock/unlock the drive after removing the existing password, FATXplorer was calculating the wrong password. When I put the drive in my Xbox I got an error 16. Eaton sent the me the test version, and with that the drive was locked with the correct password and the Xbox booted successfully.

Edited by amak79
  • Like 1