OGXbox.com

1.6 128MB RAM Upgrade Tutorial

Prehistoricman

15 hours ago, Donnie-Burger said:

So I have gifted about 4 xbox 1.6s with 128mb ram and many are saying games are black screening freezing etc.  I'm going to try and pinpoint if its a Titan/Cerbios/UDMA5/ or 1.6 - 128mb issue.  This might be a 1.6 - 128mb issue as sega chihiro games also have issues and i'm pretty sure I played some of those on my non 1.6s 128mb.  If anyone has any info please share.

I'm upgrading a 1.6 now so I can test.  I have a feeling this is bios related but need to be one hundo.

Check the temperature. See if your new ram memories are not too hot. Would be my investigation from start.

This is for anyone attempting this for the first time:

Ordered some ram from china new and as the one module I installed last night worked it was a pain in the arse.  For some reason the new samsung chips from china have shorter legs (Or slightly thicker module) making it real tight.  Spend 2 hours installing one. 

Spent 20 min installing one from a donor board.  Night and day degree of difficulty.

10 minutes ago, Donnie-Burger said:

This is for anyone attempting this for the first time:

Ordered some ram from china new and as the one module I installed last night worked it was a pain in the arse.  For some reason the new samsung chips from china have shorter legs (Or slightly thicker module) making it real tight.  Spend 2 hours installing one. 

Spent 20 min installing one from a donor board.  Night and day degree of difficulty.

I suppose they are just that bit cheaper with shorter legs. Gotta love China 😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/25/2022 at 7:02 PM, Prehistoricman said:

I wasn't going to publish the source since it's barely any different from the original. And I don't want responsibility :)

To reproduce what I have in 0.60:

1. Install a git client. I use TortoiseGit since it has a nice UI
  2. Clone the git repo from https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/lpcmod_os/src/master/
  3. Roll it back to version 0.56 to fix FATX and networking bugs
  4. Modify menu/textmenu/ToolsMenuInit.c as described in the tutorial
  5. Duplicate line 1111 in etherboot/drivers/net/forcedeth.c. This line should say pci_push(base);
  6. Change the version string in include/config.h

Push a PR. I'll merge it.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 12/1/2022 at 11:29 AM, Crossfader said:

i, I have made some me Jafar Chips with the 1MB OSSupport.

Is it possible to use 3 x 256kb Banks for Bios files in Xblast?

Is this a lot of work in the code?

When I make these I use the same OS support jed file for the CPLD.

There are other options though on Psycho's repo for bank application like possibly 4x256 and 2x512 besides the OS version IIRC. Have a look.

On 8/9/2023 at 10:20 PM, Bowlsnapper said:

Anybody who pulls this off is a god.

just did mine, but I don't feel too holy lol. I do like having the ultimate 1.6 as I think it's the best revision after a few modifications. imo

definitely need to thank @Prehistoricman for making this possible. this is amazing. he's the real god.

Edited by lopenator
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, lopenator said:

just did mine, but I don't feel too holy lol. I do like having the ultimate 1.6 as I think it's the best revision after a few modifications. imo

definitely need to thank @Prehistoricman for making this possible. this is amazing. he's the real god.

@Prehistoricman IS a god... Guess that makes you Jesus Christ and a part of the holy Trinity... Must be nice. 😛 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2022 at 8:44 AM, Prehistoricman said:

I was thinking about it, yeah. However I'm not sure it the system would support the RAM clock being faster than the NVCLK at 233MHz. I'm also not sure how to change the timings for the memory. DDR-400 would require a higher CAS latency, for example.

Is this intended to help with overclock ceilings?

7 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I wonder if 256 can be done in some way. I know this would probably enable more chihiro games to work. The chihiro had 512 I think... What's this crap about stellar supporting it if not method has even been shared?... I feel like this is bullcrap. :P

The chihiro had 128MB ram. You could add ram module/s using a addon board (Sega Chihiro Mediaboard). There you could add up to 1GB ram. Here you see an old ebay listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/175679500190

About Stellar. I'm not realy sure what ram above 128 (or maybe 256) could be useful as long as there is no way that games can be patched to use all that ram. Just for emulation or X4G it's overkill and you be better of using a RaspPi4 4GB/8GB for emulation anyway. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

The chihiro had 128MB ram. You could add ram module/s using a addon board (Sega Chihiro Mediaboard). There you could add up to 1GB ram. Here you see an old ebay listing https://www.ebay.com/itm/175679500190

About Stellar. I'm not realy sure what ram above 128 (or maybe 256) could be useful as long as there is no way that games can be patched to use all that ram. Just for emulation or X4G it's overkill and you be better of using a RaspPi4 4GB/8GB for emulation anyway. 

Yeah, I did see the add on cards. Although, my assumption was that some games required more than 128MB and that's why the cards existed, and it's why certain games can't be made to run on a 128 console. I saw that 1GB and 512 was the max in two different places so I just picked one. lol. Thank you for confirming a number.

Maybe to help with things like Alpine linux, or to hack games to run in 1080p with a processor upgrade, but that's practically experimental, or very difficult fun. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi friends, I have done 128mb ram upgrade on my 1.6 OG xbox , every chip I installed, I checked with Xblast os on Aladdin mod chip and it gave me success for all 4 banks but when i reflashed the modchip with m8plus1.6 either untouched or modified for 128mb ram or titan and etc , it just boots blackscreen, meaning that no frag or whatever, steady green light with hdd spinning but no picture at all ! I read somewhere there is a short somewhere but I'm confident that I don't have any shorts on circuit since there would be frag , any thought would be appreciated !

8 minutes ago, Dtomcat18 said:

After booted.  Try unplugging an cable from Xbox and plug it back in?

Yes , I did as soon as i read your reply there is no difference keep in mind that i am getting output TV recognizes that there is some sort of input but the out put is pure black! everything looks fine on set except it isnt !