OGXbox.com

I can’t seem to flash this Og Xbox 1.0 Bios chip (Hyundai HY29F080T-90 TSOP 40 1mb). Using a TL866II Plus programmer with Xgpro v11.90. Has anyone done this? It’s my first time using a programmer.

iVirtualZero

Reposted with pics on Imgur: https://imgur.com/gallery/rH19myY

I need help flashing this corrupt Bios chip on my Og Xbox. Unfortunately this is the only way i can reflash it, as i attempted to flash it but forgot to bridge the points now my Og Xbox only works with a modchip. I got around to picking up a programmer TL866II Plus with Xgpro v11.90 Flasher tool. But i keep getting a pin detect error. I first tried it with a new exact replacement chip using a TSOP 40 adaptor. Then ended up losing that chip. And desoldered the one from the motherboard. I also removed the cold solder from the adaptors and added some fresh new high quality solder with flux to make sure that isn’t the problem. I socketed it into the slot and no luck “Pin detect error”. I then ordered another adaptor this time without a socket and i soldered on the bios chip. I also redid the solder joints, as the ones on that adaptor were dull aswell, and no luck. I picked up the correct or the closest settings on the Xgpro v11.90 software. I tried TSOP 40 Hyundai and Hynix HY29F080 with no luck. It yet again gives me a “Pin detect error”. I even tried auto detect and it says chip not supported. On the chip it says Hyundai HY29F080T-90, but i can’t find that exact model number on the menu. Could that be the issue or is it something else. I have no idea as this is my first time using a programmer. And saw a video or two on how to use it. 

Edited by iVirtualZero

• iVirtualZero changed the title to I can’t seem to flash this Og Xbox 1.0 Bios chip (Hyundai HY29F080T-90 TSOP 40 1mb). Using a TL866II Plus programmer with Xgpro v11.90. Has anyone done this? It’s my first time using a programmer.

Ok looks like Pin Detect and other options were causing problems. When i unselect it all it detects the flash. Now i just need to flash a 1.0 bios to this but as a noob i don’t know how to do it. Will have to mess around with this software or will just look it up. 

Edited by iVirtualZero

11 hours ago, iVirtualZero said:

Update flashed the BIOS with IND Bios 5003 with Ram and Shutdown patch and soldered it back onto the Xbox but it’s still not working. 

For the v1.0's 1MB flash memory chip, you have to fill the entire chip with 4 copies of the BIOS.  If you only wrote one (1) copy of the 256KB file to the flash. only the first 256KBs of the chip were filled and the remainder cleared/filled with 0xFF for the remaining 768KBs of the flash.  The Xbox boot process access some data from the beginning of the flash and other data from the end of the flash (now filled with 0xFF bytes, not the BIOS data it needs to boot).

Create a 1MB dot bin file to flash to the chip:

copy /b <256KBBiosName>.bin + <256KBBiosName>.bin + <256KBBiosName>.bin + <256KBBiosName>.bin <1MBBIosName>.bin

Replace the filenames surrounded with < and > symbols with those you are using for the source 256KB BIOS data and resultant 1MB dot bin BIOS file.

You can use llamma.com's Coma Console fix so you don't have to unsolder/solder/reflash/unsolder/resolder the chip to boot the BIOS stored in the first 256KB. This fix forces A19 and A18 low so all accesses to the 1MB flash are restricted to the first 256KBs of the chip. I posted this info for another user recently:

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

Why did you not use a program on the Xbox to flash the bios chip?

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I tried to TSOP this without bridging the points. I accidentally corrupted the bios as a result. I then tried your 3 wire trick and that didn’t work, even after erasing and reflashing it with this 256k Ind Bios. 

Edited by iVirtualZero

10 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

For the v1.0's 1MB flash memory chip, you have to fill the entire chip with 4 copies of the BIOS.  If you only wrote one (1) copy of the 256KB file to the flash. only the first 256KBs of the chip were filled and the remainder cleared/filled with 0xFF for the remaining 768KBs of the flash.  The Xbox boot process access some data from the beginning of the flash and other data from the end of the flash (now filled with 0xFF bytes, not the BIOS data it needs to boot).

Create a 1MB dot bin file to flash to the chip:

copy /b <256KBBiosName>.bin + <256KBBiosName>.bin + <256KBBiosName>.bin + <256KBBiosName>.bin <1MBBIosName>.bin

Replace the filenames surrounded with < and > symbols with those you are using for the source 256KB BIOS data and resultant 1MB dot bin BIOS file.

You can use llamma.com's Coma Console fix so you don't have to unsolder/solder/reflash/unsolder/resolder the chip to boot the BIOS stored in the first 256KB. This fix forces A19 and A18 low so all accesses to the 1MB flash are restricted to the first 256KBs of the chip. I posted this info for another user recently:

No luck i desoldered it once again. Inserted the chip into the socket of the programmer. Then i extracted the 1mb Ind Bios from the Hexen 2020 iso using XDVDMulleter and flashed that to the chip. Soldered it back on the mobo. Tested without the modchip and i still get a FRAG. It works with the Modchip (Open Xenium) but don’t know where to go by this point. Not sure why it still isn’t working. All of the additional options on Xgpro were unchecked and said flash successful at 99.21%. At this point, i would prefer to figure out a way to flash the chip using the console itself. Maybe boot into Hexen and then remove the modchip and flash the onboard bios but sounds like a dodgy way of doing it. 

Edited by iVirtualZero

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately not. Every time i boot into a Bios using the Open Xenium Chip, i get no video signal. I tried the AladdinXT chip and i get the same issue. My Xbox has a replaced empty hdd as the previous one died, 128mb of Ram and Xbox HDPlus. So i’m not sure whether that’s causing this black screen problem. 

Edited by iVirtualZero

3 hours ago, iVirtualZero said:

Unfortunately not. Every time i boot into a Bios using the Open Xenium Chip, i get no video signal. I tried the AladdinXT chip and i get the same issue. My Xbox has a replaced empty hdd as the previous one died, 128mb of Ram and Xbox HDPlus. So i’m not sure whether that’s causing this black screen problem. 

You are using a bios patched with the HD+ patches, yes?? If not then I think that may explain your lack of picture. Also you say the hdd is empty, is it completely empty?

I tried M8 Plus with HDPlus Bios patch, Ind Bios with Ram patch. The bios used to load up before i replaced the HDD and reflashed the TSOP chip. This replacement HDD has only C and D partitions. I transferred some bios’s over and it has been formatted using the Open Xenium chip, but i need to boot into Hexen to set it up properly just need to figure how i can get video when i boot into a bios.  

32 minutes ago, iVirtualZero said:

I tried M8 Plus with HDPlus Bios patch, Ind Bios with Ram patch. The bios used to load up before i replaced the HDD and reflashed the TSOP chip. This replacement HDD has only C and D partitions. I transferred some bios’s over and it has been formatted using the Open Xenium chip, but i need to boot into Hexen to set it up properly just need to figure how i can get video when i boot into a bios.  

Have you tried using another installer disc that isnt the very old and outdated hexen? 

Also why no "E" partition? The "E" is a standard partition that is on every xbox so i would add it back asap. It will cause issues if you get the box to boot and it tries to load a dashboard from the non existent "E" drive. 

That could even be related to your issue here, I don't see why it should but it wont hurt to try it out. 

Try burning the below and booting it. Its bang up to date and may help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply, looks like i do have the E partition and the C partition and copied bios contents over to it but still no luck. It keeps losing the video signal everytime i boot into a bios using the Open Xenium chip. I will wait for my replacement TSOP 40 1mb bios chip to arrive and will flash that and replace it.

Edited by iVirtualZero

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, christopolis said:

did you ever get the tsop to program correctly, i've got a skeleton black with a bad tsop and i can't get xgpro to read it, having the same issue with pin detect error when that option is checked but when everything is unselected and read it comes up completely blank

okay i just took a chip off a parts 1.1 and was able to read that no problem so it must just be the chip itself that is bad

On 12/15/2023 at 6:18 AM, Marty said:

You can't flash a bad BIOS to the TSOP if it's not write enabled.

Your problem lies elsewhere.

I was reading through this thread and I saw him say that a couple times. Nobody told him this. I was like, um... That's not possible. Is anybody gonna tell him that? Lol. Better late than never! 😛

• Like 1