OGXbox.com

Idea for a USB port for direct HDD access on PC

SoftMachine

Maybe someone has explored this already but I haven't found anything so far. My idea is to split the SATA connection on a hard drive, connect it to a USB adapter, and have the other end of the adapter connected to a female USB port on the case.

If this would work at all, an obvious issue would be powering the drive while the console is off so I'm thinking a SATA to USB y-adapter. 2 ports would need to be plugged in, one data/power and one power. 

Another (stupid) idea is using the Xbox's power for the drive, hooking up the optical drive's power connections to an external on/off switch to force error 12. Maybe useful for locked drives? Not sure, I'm curious if the HDD would be safe to connect to or even connectable at the error screen while still having the IDE cable plugged in or if a SATA selector/switch would be needed to achieve the same effect of a hotswap.

I'm also not sure which of the optical drive's power connections would need to be on the on/off switch to achieve the error, likely not all of them and a 24 connection switch would probably have to be custom so that's a no-go if it is all 12 wires. The other way looks easier/safer and would probably be the only one worth doing.

Anyway, the point would be fast read/write speeds without opening the console ever again.

Edit: Did some more research and I'm pretty this is impossible since you can't split a hard drives data connection, sad about it

Edited by SoftMachine

You don’t have to open it up now if you have the ability to connect through Ethernet. 

Honestly you really only need to open your console once, maybe twice to mod and upgrade HDD. Load it up while it’s already open using a faster transfer program such as FatXplorer. Assemble it all back together and then when you want to add or remove a few things in the future, you’ll still be able to through the Ethernet cable and FTP. Adding only a game or two doesn’t take more than a couple mins. 

FTP speeds can be brutally slow in some instances tho..... specially if people don't take the time to check a few things. I had very slow speeds over FTP last week for some reason. I was using Filezilla live i have done many times before but my speeds had dropped to less than 100kbs!!! I fixed it simply by swapping FTP clients and now use CuteFTP and are maxing out speeds every time.  I do kinda like the idea above. Shame its not possible. 

Edited by nikeymikey