OGXbox.com

xbmc4gamers - adding an xbe to the home screen menu?

SoftMachine

I don't know XBMC4Gamers but I do know about 'vanilla' XBMC on the Xbox.

Where you'd normally have your Apps, Games, Emus, HomeBrew etc available is under the main menu's "Programs" umbrella. If you add another 'Source' to the Programs menu you're adding a parent source folder so when you click on it will show the contents of that folder ie. it won't launch the XBE.

If you try to add the default.xbe as a source it'll report "path not found" but allow you to add it manually. However whilst it then appears as a direct source if you try to launch that you'll get an "invalid path..." message. Its obviously set up to look for and launch that XBE from within a sub-folder inside the parent directory. You can't change that behaviour as far as I know.

What might be what you're looking for is to add an individual app or whatever to your Favourites list. I assume XBMC4Gamers also includes a Favourites main menu option. That effectively cuts outs one folder level ie. Favourites > App Name rather than Programs > Apps > App Name.      

Edited by HDShadow

On 5/28/2022 at 6:31 AM, SoftMachine said:

Hey I know you can add main menu options with custom folder paths but when I set it to an app and select it, it opens the folder instead of the app inside it. Is there any way to add a path to a specific file?

You can add items to a Favourites menu.  To display your Favourites, press the Black button, make sure that Favourites is the selected item then press (A) to display it.

To add an item to the Favourites list, select the item to add in one of the other menus: Applications, Demos, Emulators, Games, or Homebrew. Next, press the White button to display the context-sensitive menu then move down to Add to Favourites then press (A). 

To remove an item from your Favourites either in the Favourites menu or the menu where the application/game is located, press the White button to show the context-sensitive menu, select Remove or Remove from favourites then press (A).

Too bad, you can't change the Home screen to Favourites.

Edit: White button, not (A), to show the context-sensitive menu for a selected application/game.

On 5/30/2022 at 6:32 PM, HDShadow said:

If you use certain skins eg. the updated Xbox-Classic, the Favourites menu is on the 'home' screen.

The screenshot below shows it as "Submenu" but in the XBMC v3.0 > compatibility update it is the Favourites menu.

Yeah I think I'm just gonna go with xbmc4xbox, the infrastructure to do what I want is already written into a bunch of skins whereas 4gamers would probably take a lot longer for me to figure out. Thanks for the responses, @KaosEngineer as well. 

• Like 1

You can add a custom launch option to the black button menu. It’s in the skins settings menu. 

The reason you can’t add a xbe as a source is XBMC doesn’t allow it when in Programs menu. All sources are treated as folders on the root folder. 

What you’re saying above is when using a custom built menu, you can have custom buttons that launch xbes, not this is only on the main menu of XBMC or sub menus of sources. (Not counting context menus)

Edited by Rocky5
  • Like 1