OGXbox.com

40pin 80 Wire Ide Cable

ironsniper1

The original Xbox ide cable differs from standard ide cables in the orientation of the connectors so you wont find an 80 wire ide cable the same.  Best just to use the longest 80 wire ide cable you can find and work out the folds as you hook it up..  Note that the folds wont be the same as the original cable so dont copy that..  

Edited by Duder

The proper folding thing is important, as I unfortunately discovered today.  I ended up cracking my OGXbox case today because I bunched up the ribbon cable while putting the case back on.  Luckily it's a hairline crack that can barely be detected unless you know it's there.  But it was an important lesson learned - always properly fold & tidy up your ribbon cable when reassembling.

I have in the past used rounded cables, both home made and shop bought. Its tight but you can get them in with the case closed.

I bought a few a year or so ago from a retail shop who wanted rid of this old stock that he was thinking of putting in the trash.  £1 each..... Bargain. 

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 5:35 PM, carlcharlbury said:

These look really good but $12 each is just to much to make these worthwhile using on a regular basis if you're a reseller.  Even 16 at $175 only gets them down to just below $11 each. For a few personal consoles then its not so bad.

Can someone in the UK do the same thing please? :) The $15 postage from the states just makes these not worth the expense :( $27 (Approx £22) in total to get one to the UK and that's if customs leave the parcel alone on the way in to the country... If not and they add VAT then 1 cable will cost approx £27. 

I can get 10 x 80 wire cables of questionable quality sent from China for around £12, granted half of them will probably be broken on arrival but the ones that work do it well and without issue (so far). Honestly I'd love to use his custom made ones but the cost just makes it not worth it for now.