OGXbox.com

HDMI Switch Recommendation

vekter303

Just set up new TV with each generation of XBox. I am limited with HDMI ports and need to use a switch for OG Xbox with Make Mhz HDMI+ and Xbox One X.

I had one from Amazon claiming 4K at 60Hz but it forces the Xbox One X into a letterboxed 720p nightmare and the OG Xbox has video noise making that unplayable.

I'm looking for a recommendation from anyone that has experience. To be clear this is for a switch, not splitter. I have 2 devices going to 1 port and just want to avoid plugging/unplugging when using them.

Cheers!

I don’t know much about these things, but I did a quick search and Amazon Preferred for $11. I’m guessing that as with most things, the cheaper the price, the lower the quality. Not saying it’s junk whatsoever, just that it probably won’t be as good as a more expensive would. I read some of the non 5⭐️ Reviews and there were some mixed issues. Saw one that complained about latency while gaming and a couple about noise coming from another device being plugged in while in use. The biggest thing I noticed was that it was HDMI 1.4 and not 2.0. 

This may or may not be the one you have. I guess try having one cable plugged in and see if that helps. Make sure your HDMI cables can handle the connection of the device. Check your Xbox One video settings for the HDMI connection. Is it possible that could be forcing 720 into letterbox?

Definitely a case of getting what you pay for, and that price sounds about right for the one I bought although everything about their claims match HDMI 2.0; specifically their claim for supporting 4K@60Hz.

I can't change the settings on Xbox One X as the option is forced in the drop down selection, as is the resolution. I cannot recall what that was exactly but it reminds me of my old laptop booting in recovery mode on Windows 7 :lol: at any rate after troubleshooting it's an issue with the switch. It's being used with a Samsung QLED that picks up the full capacity of the HDMI with Input Signal Plus and similar to the Xbox it will not allow the 2.0 setting.

I have seen a pretty wide variety of prices, around $10 to $100 and that is why I thought there might be somebody with a recommendation here.

I will likely go with a more reliable seller. Thanks for the response and suggestions.

Okay, turns out there are LOADS of Youtube reviews for these...

I have gone with an Ilano switch based on this video and the reviewers detailed breakdown. He seems genuine.

Part of the reason for asking on the forum here is past experience of Amazon who sell whatever, promise as much but quite often don't deliver...albeit with a straightforward refund process. Part of my issue too, is that Googling the same gets you many "best HDMI switch" reviews, but all with Amazon links...hey ho. In case anyone else is looking for the same thing with their consoles I will maybe fire an update when it arrives from...yes, you guessed it. Amazon.

• 3 weeks later...

How did this turn out for you?  The product has some good reviews but these devices are always tricky. One HDMI cable can out perform another from the same company with the same model number so, if the device says it does what you need but doesn't actually perform, don't be afraid to return it for another. In my experience https://www.infinitecables.com/ makes some really good stuff, meaning the products usually do what they say they'll do which is rare. I haven't bought any switches from them but their HDMI 2.1 cables have never given me any problems with 4k dolby vision content, which is normally where I've run into issues with bandwidth using a lot of other "ultra high speed certified" cables. 

I've had no issues with cables. I was concerned about the length of a couple of them as my cabinet has OG, 360, One X and Series X running to the I/O box at one far end. I had heard that full chroma might not be possible if the cables are too long, but all good thankfully!

The switch does what I need. I am using it with the 360 and One X...the One X capable of 4K@60Hz and HDR as you probably know, and that all works fine. It's a neat little unit and a very nice design. I am also using it without USB power - it has a lead and input supplied - the switch draws power over HDMI and used as a switch in this configuration does not need the extra juice according to the manufacturer and that turns out to be the case...

It claims to perform above those specs too, I believe. Specifically at 4K@120Hz and VRR support as with full HDMI 2.1 but I leave that dedicated port on the TV for the Series X with my setup.

I would like to say I mighty impressed with the Make MHz HDMI+ Kit in the OG. It gives an amazing result. I can handle a bit of modding but was freaked out by the micro soldering on the cable, haha. A recommendation for Jack at Retro Modz UK who did some amazing work on the box and HDMI install.

• Like 1