OGXbox.com

1.6 xbox turns off twice then FRAGs, any advice?

YraelTheEighth

I bought a 1.6 xbox with plans to modchip it. The first time I booted it I got a FRAG, then after turning it off and on it was fine. I tried booting a few times and everything worked, so I chalked the first frag up to disuse for years. I opened the xbox to clean it in preperation for the modchip, make sure caps were fine and all. The metal shield was pretty rusty so following some advise from other posts here I sanded it and painted it with Rustoleum. Other than that, I didn't do anything to the rest of the box. Since putting it back together it FRAGs every boot. 
Did I cover a grounding connection and need to clear that? Unsure of what move to make.

Here are some shots of the board.

https://imgur.com/a/iuc8fc1

I don't know if it will make much difference, but if you painted the shield, you should definitely clean the paint off of the standoffs where the screws go through the motherboard. The metal contacts around the holes serve as a common connection on circuit boards like this. Things *may* work fine if one has a bad connection, but that's never guaranteed. If the screw threads were in contact with metal the entire way, it wouldn't matter much. However, I believe that thread into plastic so the pressure from the screw head holding the board pads against the shield are what's giving you a connection.

I'd start off just sanding the paint off the flat tops.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YraelTheEighth said:

I bought a 1.6 xbox with plans to modchip it. The first time I booted it I got a FRAG, then after turning it off and on it was fine. I tried booting a few times and everything worked, so I chalked the first frag up to disuse for years. I opened the xbox to clean it in preperation for the modchip, make sure caps were fine and all. The metal shield was pretty rusty so following some advise from other posts here I sanded it and painted it with Rustoleum. Other than that, I didn't do anything to the rest of the box. Since putting it back together it FRAGs every boot. 
Did I cover a grounding connection and need to clear that? Unsure of what move to make.

Here are some shots of the board.

https://imgur.com/a/iuc8fc1

There are several ground connections made to the motherboard at locations of the shield that come in contact with the bottom side of the motherboard where the mounting post screws go.  FRAGing may be caused by there being no electrical connection present now.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, got it fixed. I sanded the paint off the flat tops, but when I turned it on I got error code 09. Luckily I had a new 80 wire IDE cable for upgrading the hdd, and that fixed it. Guess the original IDE cable was busted as well. 

Now that I've fixed the issues with that, hopefully the modchip installation goes smoothly!

• Like 1