OGXbox.com

Wrong bios flash

tomahawk

Help flashed bios to a 1.6 xbox which has xecuter2.6 chip using slayers installer disc. Tried to flash to bank 1 which seemed to be empty as when I tried to boot from it just got blank screen...

Any way after flashing bios from slayers installer disc which seemed to go well it said xbox will shut down...Then when I tried to boot from bank 1 just get red ring and nothing on screen.tried from bank 2 and get the same red ring,then tried dissabling chip and boot to ms dash but still just get red ringso can not even do softmod and update again that way... 

any way back? could xecuter 2.6 modchip be taken out and reflashed from pc?

"Help flashed bios to a 1.6 xbox which has xecuter2.6 chip using slayers installer disc. Tried to flash to bank 1 which seemed to be empty as when I tried to boot from it just got blank screen...

Any way after flashing bios from slayers installer disc which seemed to go well it said xbox will shut down...Then when I tried to boot from bank 1 just get red ring and nothing on screen.tried from bank 2 and get the same red ring, then tried dissabling chip and boot to ms dash but still just get red ring so can not even do softmod and update again that way... 

any way to fix this? could xecuter 2.6 modchip be taken out and reflashed from pc with a programmer? Which I don't have by the way

PS:- I have backup of bios.bin 1,024kbs ,  disk.bin 512kbs , eeprom.bin 1kb , hddkey.bin 1kb , if they are any help

2 hours ago, tomahawk said:

"Help flashed bios to a 1.6 xbox which has xecuter2.6 chip using slayers installer disc. Tried to flash to bank 1 which seemed to be empty as when I tried to boot from it just got blank screen...

Any way after flashing bios from slayers installer disc which seemed to go well it said xbox will shut down...Then when I tried to boot from bank 1 just get red ring and nothing on screen.tried from bank 2 and get the same red ring, then tried dissabling chip and boot to ms dash but still just get red ring so can not even do softmod and update again that way... 

any way to fix this? could xecuter 2.6 modchip be taken out and reflashed from pc with a programmer? Which I don't have by the way

PS:- I have backup of bios.bin 1,024kbs ,  disk.bin 512kbs , eeprom.bin 1kb , hddkey.bin 1kb , if they are any help

Which BIOS did you flash to the modchip?  For a v1.6 Xbox, you only have two choices:

1. M8plus_16

2. X2 5035 v1.6

I flashed M8plus_16 which I think was 256kbs but when I checked my backup from the 1.6 xbox that I had on the pc it had bios.bin 1,024 

Also I had the front switch set at bank1 for some reason must have moved it accidentally while setting up to flash because when xbox was working it was set at bank2 and displayed XECUTER ROX MY BOX underneath the big x ...

So with chip connected it boots hard drive and dvd drive spins up  but boots to blank blue screen and when I take connectors out of chip and lift chip from board I can not even get it to boot to normal dash boots hard drive and dvd drive spins up but red flashing ring and blank blue screen.Tried with chip enabled and slayers disk in drive again but blank blue screen.As I said I have backup of eeprom.bin and bios.bin etc .

Update I remembered I had another xbox that had an xecuter 2.6ce chip in so tried it in as connectors were the same except 5volt wire which I had to solder to chip, so with  that set up  and chip enabled on bank2 it xbox booted up to black screen with 480i@60Hz at bottom left of screen and COMPONENT below that then just stayed at black screen. As I said I have eeprom.bin and bios.bin backup from the xbox

PS a mate has an xbox with executer3 installed would I be able to connect my 2.6 chip to his xbox and flash the chip without mucking up his xbox?

On 5/16/2022 at 5:22 PM, tomahawk said:

I flashed M8plus_16 which I think was 256kbs but when I checked my backup from the 1.6 xbox that I had on the pc it had bios.bin 1,024 

Also I had the front switch set at bank1 for some reason must have moved it accidentally while setting up to flash because when xbox was working it was set at bank2 and displayed XECUTER ROX MY BOX underneath the big x ...

Evox M8plus_16 is 256KBs in size.  The backup the replacement dashboard creates for it is 1MB because that was the size of the flash memory chip on the v1.0 release when the app was created.  This 1MB file for your console is simply 4 copies of the BIOS read from the modchip's flash.  (Actually, for an X2.6 modchip with its 512KB BIOS banks, it's 2 copies of the 512KB BIOS bank. Most flashing apps write enough copies one after the other to fill the modchip's BIOS bank if the dot bin file is smaller than its BIOS bank.)

An X2 BIOS prints XECNTER ROX MY BOX, not an Evox BIOS.  Instead, it shows an Evox logo shield in the upper left-hand corner of the screen during the startup animation unless disabled with EVTool and the updated BIOS reflashed to the modchip.

Edit: I've seen posted by several people an interesting tidbit about flashing an X2.6 modchip. You must create a 1MB dot bin file and have the bank select switch set to BANK 1 to flash the chip.  Flashing the X2.6 requires flashing both banks at the same time - the entire 1MB flash.  Each BIOS BANK cannot be flashed separately.  So, create a 1MB file with 2x 256KB BIOS (or 1x for a 512KB BIOS) for bank 1 and 2x 256KB BIOS (or 1x for a 512KB BIOS) for 1MB total dot bin file containing both BIOSes to flash to banks 1 and 2.

However, I've never used an X2.6 modchip to know if this is true or not.  I have an X2 Pro and an X3 modchip where you can flash each bank separately based on the bank selection switch setting when in X3 Config Live (X3CL).  If flashing the X3 with FlashBIOS a 1MB bios.bin file is to be flashed to either 1MB sized bank of the modchip based on the select 1MB bank.

5 hours ago, tomahawk said:

PS a mate has an xbox with executer3 installed would I be able to connect my 2.6 chip to his xbox and flash the chip without mucking up his xbox?

Yes, after his console boots into the replacement dashboard, pull the X3 from the pi header and install your modchip.  

The only problem may be the connection to the alternate 5Vdc wire to power your modchip.  There's a single pin header connector on the X3 not sure if your modchip has that connector too.

we tried to install my xecuter2.6 chip in his but the 3 wires going to underside of board which have a connector are just to short to reach the connector on my xecuter2.6 chip

did not want to unscrew and take out his motherboard and solder longer wires in case something got mucked up. Can the xecuter2.6 chip be taken to pc and flashed with a programmer? 

The x2.6 had an accessory programmer that could be used from PC, but it requires a parallel port.

I'm actually curious about different methods of reflashing the x2.6 chip myself. I saw piprom which looked promising. But I'm not sure if it is intended to work on a modchip vice the onboard prom in the xbox

7 hours ago, Yoinx said:

The x2.6 had an accessory programmer that could be used from PC, but it requires a parallel port.

I'm actually curious about different methods of reflashing the x2.6 chip myself. I saw piprom which looked promising. But I'm not sure if it is intended to work on a modchip vice the onboard prom in the xbox

PiPROM only works to read/write data from/to the 8-pin I2C (SMbus) 2Kbit serial access EEPROM (configuration EEPROM) on the motherboard, not the modchip's LPCbus-attached flash memory chip that holds the BIOS.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, tomahawk said:

we tried to install my xecuter2.6 chip in his but the 3 wires going to underside of board which have a connector are just to short to reach the connector on my xecuter2.6 chip

did not want to unscrew and take out his motherboard and solder longer wires in case something got mucked up. Can the xecuter2.6 chip be taken to pc and flashed with a programmer? 

The three wires are the D0 output from the modchip, and the HDD and LAN activity inputs to the modchip. You don't have to connect the HDD and LAN activity wires to test the modchip on a different Xbox.  And, you can ground the D0 point on the motherboard, no connection necessary to the grey D0 wire of the modchip, to boot the BIOS from it instead of from the onboard TSOP flash memory chip.

Mate had an xecuter3 xbox he booted it up made Bios folder on his c partition and copied the 1mb bios backup I had on pc from my xbox and also copied xblast to his c partition. Then loaded xblast up to the flash bios from hard drive part then hotswapped his xecuter3 chip with my xecuter2.6 chip and had to hold a connection between his 5v cable and the 5v point on my chip as they were different then he held down left and right triggers, start and clear buttons on controller and it flashed my original backed up bios to my chip...

He put his chip back in his xbox just to check his was still working and it booted up fine...so went home to try my flashed chip in mine and  low and behold xbox springs back into life...woo hoo .😃

PS I had allready tried a couple of different bios from auto installer deluxe disc but they did not work just froze at config live loading screen. So I was glad to find the above sollution with xblast.

• Like 1