OGXbox.com

Changing CPU thermal compound.

MarkC1970

I have just taken the heatsink of a v1.0, cleaned it up and replaced with MX4.  It seem to work OK but the heat sink is not clamped to the CPU at all well.  I can rotate it with no trouble and even rock it side to side.  Were the original thermal pads adhesive?  Were they 1mm thick and I need to now pack the clamp out?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkC1970 said:

I have just taken the heatsink of a v1.0, cleaned it up and replaced with MX4.  It seem to work OK but the heat sink is not clamped to the CPU at all well.  I can rotate it with no trouble and even rock it side to side.  Were the original thermal pads adhesive?  Were they 1mm thick and I need to now pack the clamp out?  Any thoughts?  Thanks.

Gpu can slightly move when clamped.  CPU should be pretty tight clamped down even with arctic mx 2/4.

• 3 months later...
On 5/14/2022 at 12:24 PM, MarkC1970 said:

The originals were pads i think. it's too consistently perfectly applied and tacky to be paste. it's normal to be able to move the cpu heatsink by hand after clamping when you changed the paste.