OGXbox.com

OG Xbox Non V1.6 with Xecuter X3 CE chip installed.. Advice needed

Silver

I have an xbox with a X3 CE chip installed with the attached bank switches. I was able to update to flashbios  3.0.1. 

Bank 1234: on on off off

This xbox does not get passed the Xecuter boot screen when I short press the power button (chip enabled). If I long press the power button (chip disabled) I get code 13. If I long press the power button with an original xbox game in the DVD drive the game runs no issues. I am also able to reach the flashBios screen by long pressing the eject an power buttons together. I bought this xbox a while back and have been trying to make it work properly. I believe I'm missing another bios file but I'm really not sure. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver said:

I have an xbox with a X3 CE chip installed with the attached bank switches. I was able to update to flashbios  3.0.1. 

Bank 1234: on on off off

This xbox does not get passed the Xecuter boot screen when I short press the power button (chip enabled). If I long press the power button (chip disabled) I get code 13. If I long press the power button with an original xbox game in the DVD drive the game runs no issues. I am also able to reach the flashBios screen by long pressing the eject an power buttons together. I bought this xbox a while back and have been trying to make it work properly. I believe I'm missing another bios file but I'm really not sure. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's time to flash the X3 BIOS Build 3294 to the modchip using FlashBIOS's network flash option.

• Thanks 1

Sooo, are you up and running now, fully? The X3 should have already had a copy of flashbios stored in its 256k backup flash bank, which can be booted by pressing power and eject simultaniously at powerup. The backup bank is isolated and separate from the 8 256k (2MB) flash banks for safety.

Hell yeah, links are allowed. What do you think this is, 2005? 😛

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Sooo, are you up and running now, fully? The X3 should have already had a copy of flashbios stored in its 256k backup flash bank, which can be booted by pressing power and eject simultaniously at powerup. The backup bank is isolated and separate from the 8 256k (2MB) flash banks for safety.

Hell yeah, links are allowed. What do you think this is, 2005? 😛

When I press the power and eject buttons I get the flash bios screen. I don't really mess with the switches. Hopefully today I should be up and running.

1 hour ago, Silver said:

When I press the power and eject buttons I get the flash bios screen. I don't really mess with the switches. Hopefully today I should be up and running.

Thankfully, the switches donˋt need to be messed with much. Itˋs 1&2 for the first 1MB bank (1234) and just switch 2 for the second 1MB bank (5678). You can also have NO switches selected for the first 1MB bank, which is a contingency created for a situation where you donˋt have a switch panel hooked up for whatever reason... or if the switch panel fails, somehow.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Silver said:

Was able to flash the X3 with the 3294 bios to bank (5678). Unfortunately I'm still unable to get the Config Live screen by pressing the white button on my controller. 

Stupid question, youˋre holding it down at startup, right? It has to be held during the very instant that the "Rox My Box" Logo shows up under the Xbox logo.

I think I found the answer. You probably have an EEPROM password. Use this info to clear it and you should be good.

Man. Somebody had to have some pretty extreme-ass circumstances to have to password protect the EEPROM on their fucking Xbox modchip. Seems like all those password features did was give people headaches 15 years later.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Stupid question, youˋre holding it down at startup, right? It has to be held during the very instant that the "Rox My Box" Logo shows up under the Xbox logo.

You may have to boot a different BIOS from another bank (1, 2, 3, or 4) then from a replacement dashboard run the x3_eeprom_erase application's default.xbe file to clear the X3's onboard EEPROM.  Power down then boot the backup BIOS by pressing both Power and Eject buttons on the front panel. Next, reflash the X3 BIOS to bank 5678 or 1234. 

x3_eeprom_erase.rar

38 minutes ago, Silver said:

Was going to reflash the 3294 bios to bank 1234. Any suggestions for another bios for 5678?

5678 are 4 256KB banks that can be used to hold up to 4 modified Xbox BIOSes.  Most BIOSes have a base size of 256KBs.  The only two that I know of that are not this base size are:

Team Xecuter's X2 5035 release - base size is 512KBs, and the X3 BIOS - base size is 1MB.  Build 3294 is their last public release.  (Edit: Wait, there are a couple of older (obsolete) Team Xecuter BIOS releases that are 512KBs too: 4978 with a built-in FTP server and 5032 superseded by 5035.)

Banks 5, 6, 7, and 8 can be used to hold another copy of the X3 BIOS - 1MB in size ( Bank 5678 ), 2 - 512KB BIOSes (Banks 56 and 78), 4 - 256KB BIOSes ( Banks 5, 6, 7 and 8 ) or a mix of 1 - 512KB BIOS and 2 - 256KB BIOSes. (Banks 56, 7 and 8 or 5, 6 and 78 ).  Once a 256KB Bank has been used/filled, it cannot be reused to hold a different BIOS.

Edit: Base size being the smallest working dot bin file size to flash to the modchip for a BIOS.  If you see a 512KB or 1MB dot bin file for other BIOSes, they are actually multiple copies of the base sized 256KB BIOS concatenated together to create the larger sized file.