OGXbox.com

XBlast Os In Tsop (XBox 1.1) ?

XPeter

Hi, all

Some of you might know I have already had a Xbox (v1.1) with TSOP flashed (M8+ only) recently

For a v1.1 Xbox, its TSOP (1MB) with only 256k M8+ is a bit wasted.    Meanwhile, i read about Xblast OS which Forlorn Penguin suggested me before to use it to flash BIOS to TSOP.

And Now I realized that Xblast OS is not just a bios flash program, but with multiple useful tools. and more importantly to me, it can be flashed/installed to Modchip (including TSOP)

I read that its can be flashed to onboard TSOP, as Bennydiamond said in AG forum

https://assemblergames.com/threads/release-xblast-os-v0-50.65434/

Archived page access: https://assembler-games.com/threads/release-xblast-os-v0-50.65434/

However, there is no specific instruction and video that I can search from google to specify this.  So I hope someone here, based on your best knowledge, could share and confirm whether this is really workable for 1MB TSOP

Here comes my plan and assumption, can anyone help me to verify?

1. install/upload Xblast in 😄 drive per its instruction in its zip file

2. run xblast.xbe,  enter its program/OS

3. Go to flash menu,  select Bank2 (xblast OS),     (Here, I am not sure if it will show 3 Banks as xblast illustrated,  or 4 banks as my current TSOP has)

4. select crcwell.bin,  then flash  --> reboot

5.  Xbox enter xblast os,    go to flash menu,  select bank0 (512k),  choose X2.5032.bin,  flash --> reboot

6.  Xbox enter xblast os,    go to flash menu,  select bank1 (256k),  choose M8+.bin ,  flash --> reboot

Will there be any issue for the procedures above?  Your help would be much appreciated !

Peter

• 1 month later...

I think you might be a little confused. You can use xblast to flash recover a tsop or flash any bios to it, but I'm fairly certain it wasn't designed to be flashed directly to the TSOP.

Given that xblast is written with original code and not proprietary Microsoft code, there's a small chance that flashing it directly to your tsop might not be a good idea.

Also, if it did work, you would still need to wire up and bridge points to enable tsop splitting; and because xblast would be on the tsop, and not the usual modchip, there would be no way to avoid your MCPX chip burning out (literally), as the modchip with xblast usually sends a signal to stop positive flow to the MCPX gate.

There's also a chance you may end up flashing a bank improperly, leading to a dead-end tsop which only loads one bank, or worse, loads none of them.

Gemma still sells xblast upgraded aladdin chips for $18, shipping included. Twenty bucks ain't much of a splurge for making sure your oxbox remains unsullied.

I have a 1ghz with 128mb, a 500gb SATA, a ghost case, sammy drive and a Minebea PSU. I run all other BIOS through an Aladdin upgraded with xblast and running off the LPC so as not to muck it up.

Edited by dbrown1986

There will be no bank selection in XBlast OS flashed to the motherboard's TSOP device. (The Section 3.3 TSOP split feature mentioned in the XBlast_OS manual is only available if you are using the XBlast_Lite modchip with A19 from the modchip tied to the motherboard's MCPX controlled A19 address line!)

From bennydiamond's (psyko_chewbacca's) lpcmod_OS repository:

• Flash LPC/TSOP with image from HDD/CD/HTTP (limited to current bank on non-XBlast modchip)

The TSOP has no bank switching hardware support.  You'll have to add switches to the address lines to force them high or low to select between various banks.  However, data in such pseudo-banks is not entirely addressed properly. 

Old tutorial on 4-way TSOP split [Source: Xbox-scene.com post captured by archive.org's Wayback Machine] (I need to track down the other tutorial stating why it's a bad idea to do this.  Once I find it, I'll update this post with that information too.)

Update: Found it!

Why you shouldn't do TSOP splitting  on an original Xbox posted at eurasia.nu. Author Michael Steil @ the xbox-linux project)

Edited by KaosEngineer
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2018 at 12:08 AM, XPeter said:

Hi, all

Some of you might know I have already had a Xbox (v1.1) with TSOP flashed (M8+ only) recently

For a v1.1 Xbox, its TSOP (1MB) with only 256k M8+ is a bit wasted.    Meanwhile, i read about Xblast OS which Forlorn Penguin suggested me before to use it to flash BIOS to TSOP.

And Now I realized that Xblast OS is not just a bios flash program, but with multiple useful tools. and more importantly to me, it can be flashed/installed to Modchip (including TSOP)

I read that its can be flashed to onboard TSOP, as Bennydiamond said in AG forum

https://assemblergames.com/threads/release-xblast-os-v0-50.65434/

However, there is no specific instruction and video that I can search from google to specify this.  So I hope someone here, based on your best knowledge, could share and confirm whether this is really workable for 1MB TSOP

Here comes my plan and assumption, can anyone help me to verify?

1. install/upload Xblast in C: drive per its instruction in its zip file

2. run xblast.xbe,  enter its program/OS

3. Go to flash menu,  select Bank2 (xblast OS),     (Here, I am not sure if it will show 3 Banks as xblast illustrated,  or 4 banks as my current TSOP has)

4. select crcwell.bin,  then flash  --> reboot

5.  Xbox enter xblast os,    go to flash menu,  select bank0 (512k),  choose X2.5032.bin,  flash --> reboot

6.  Xbox enter xblast os,    go to flash menu,  select bank1 (256k),  choose M8+.bin ,  flash --> reboot

Will there be any issue for the procedures above?  Your help would be much appreciated !

Peter

A tip when using XBLAST OS uses the correct size bios for example if your xbox is 1.0-1.1 use a bios that is 1 megabyte in size and if your xbox is 1.2-1.5 use a 256k bios this because the xblast in consoles with tsop of 1 mega if you use a bios of 256k xblast does not enlarge the bios to 1 mega you end up with the xbox bricked because it does not fill the tsop full, whenever you use xblast always use the correct size of the bios of your xbox greetings.

xbox 1.0-1.1 tsop is 1 megabyte in size.

xbox 1.2-1.5 tsop is 256k in size.

Edited by dark

• 1 month later...

If you have a softmodded XBox and are using the XBlast OS XBE to flash your TSOP through a dashboard like UnleashX is soldering still required to enable write access to the TSOP or does the XBlastOS.xbe get around this somehow?  If you still have to solder I don't, see XBlast being any easier to use than a Hexen disc..

1 hour ago, RMM said:

If you have a softmodded XBox and are using the XBlast OS XBE to flash your TSOP through a dashboard like UnleashX is soldering still required to enable write access to the TSOP or does the XBlastOS.xbe get around this somehow?  If you still have to solder I don't, see XBlast being any easier to use than a Hexen disc..

No, of course you have to solder. How else would you disable the TSOP's write protection?

XBlast OS isn't any easier or harder, it's just better. It's a modern application that can flash any chip and, unlike what dark said above, XBlast OS does resize a smaller BIOS to fit a larger bank.

HeXEn is clunky because it uses two different applications for flashing, each of which are outdated and suffer from some kind of limitation that the other doesn't (EvolutionX can't flash Windbond, but will resize, while Gentoox won't resize, but can flash Winbond).

With HeXEn you need to know what kind of TSOP you have and then pick the right option based around it. With XBlast it doesn't matter and you just get all benefits in one package. Plus HeXEn is a mess and copies a bunch of shit to the HDD that you probably don't want when all you're trying to do is flash.

• Like 1

Hexen to me looks more intuitive.  Anybody that would be potentially using it would have to solder their Xbox first so they would already know what version of Xbox they had as well as what type of TSOP  so I dont see needing that information as a big negative.  XBlast does sound interesting and better suited for many situations.  I may try it when I go to flash my TSOP

• 8 months later...

The XBlast OS can browse the hard drive to locate the BIOS dot bin file you want to flash to the chip.  Be it to flash to the motheboard's TSOP or an LPC installed Aladdin-XBlast or XBlast Lite modchip.  Flashing to the TSOP will have no bank switching to select a different BIOS or bank to flash.  

Best to obtain or upgrade an Aladdin XT plus 2 with the Aladdin-XBlast CPLD code (JTAG programmer required) and replace the 256KB flash memory chip (SST49LF020) with  a 1MB (SST49LF080) chip then flash it with the XBlastOS BIOS.

• 4 weeks later...

On the whole 1 mb flash, you Can use one bank for 256kb and one bank for 512 kb. The last one is for xblast os itself. You Can put 5004.67 bios on the 256kb (if you are not using a 1.6 Xbox) and an X2.5035 on the 512kb bank

Moreover, in tools there is a ram tester, when you upgrade from 64 to 128mb. You Can check one ram module After soldering, it boots Always with xblast, but not with a bios that support 128mb if allé thé modules are not soldered.

Bye

Edited by Benur75
Mistapping

• 5 months later...
On 11/25/2018 at 10:54 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Why you shouldn't do TSOP splitting  on an original Xbox posted at eurasia.nu. Author Michael Steil @ the xbox-linux project)

I have do bring that topic up cause I got an 1.0 today in nearly new conditions (except for the clock cap ofc) and was thinking of splitting the TSOP. Now Eurasia is sadly down so anyone remember the cons of TSOP splitting and why you shouldn't do it?

17 hours ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

I have do bring that topic up cause I got an 1.0 today in nearly new conditions (except for the clock cap ofc) and was thinking of splitting the TSOP. Now Eurasia is sadly down so anyone remember the cons of TSOP splitting and why you shouldn't do it?

Because some of the data read from the BIOS is referenced from the starting address of the flash memory's address space (16 times 1MB) while other data is read from the end of the address space.  thus, when you split the 1MB into two 512KB banks, some data is read from the first bank and other from the second bank. 

At least that's what I remember from the information I'd read about reasons not to split the TSOP into two or more different BIOS banks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, sweetdarkdestiny said:

SO no TSOP splitting. I have trow the xbox aladdin xt plus2 in the 1.0 with an iND 5004.

You can flash the iND5004 to the version 1.0-1.1.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

1 hour ago, SS_Dave said:

You can flash the iND5004 to the version 1.0-1.1.

The aladdin is already soldered in. I'm not going to change that now.

And Amazon has delevired the new SATA controler for the 1.0 but me has forgotten to order an IDE 80 wire cable with it so, i now have to wait till monday or tuesday for it. But so is time to think about how I can make a fan holder for the new 40mm noctua fan (no i don't own a 3d printer). And i think about to put the 1.0 in the crystal case - would be cool some how.

Aladdin XT 10..jpg