OGXbox.com

Xbox emmting a high pitched sound, also can't read custom cds

SPARKY358

Hello, i got a new xbox, and i had a few issues with it

just to establish some info:

it's been staying in my appartment for about 2 years without even plugging it in, idk how much it stayed at the seller's place

The sticker on the bottom (where the screws are) has not yet been broken

The xbox uses the philips dvd drive

It's from europe (PAL)

So, it has been emmiting this quite high pitched sound constantly, it's not very loud but it still gives me headaches

Also my custom CDs don't seem to work on it (xbox can't recognize disc), however i tried a few more official-ish discs and they worked

Any tips?

16 hours ago, SPARKY358 said:

it's been staying in my appartment for about 2 years without even plugging it in, idk how much it stayed at the seller's place

It's from europe (PAL)

So, it has been emmiting this quite high pitched sound constantly, it's not very loud but it still gives me headaches

Also my custom CDs don't seem to work on it (xbox can't recognize disc), however i tried a few more official-ish discs and they worked

Any tips?

What do you mean by custom CD? Just any burned CD? The laser may just be a bit weaker than normal, which can result in stuff like that. I HAVE adjusted the pots on the laser moduule (CD or DVD, depending on what was called for) and remedied problems like that before, but you have to be careful with doing that. I donˋt even remember the guidelines for adjusting the pots anymore.

As for the squeaking... Kaos? Can PSU components generate noise like that when they deteriorate?

Edited by Bowlsnapper
God damn typo.

10 hours ago, SPARKY358 said:

Also the high-pitched sound seemed to stop after about 39 total minutes of running (or I have gone deaf)

I suspect the HDD is failing.

Try and power on the Xbox with the HDD unplugged when cold and see if the noise is still there.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 10:29 AM, SPARKY358 said:

It's from europe (PAL)

Any tips?

the high pitched whine is that old wd hdd in the system. i've had this problem on every xbox with a wd drive i have. try moving the xbox closer to u and see if u still hear it. i know that sounds stupid but i couldn't hear mine whine when it was closer. the only other thing u can do is change the hdd.

I'm  not a fan of WD HDDs for that reason too - they're not necessarily louder but the pitch of the sound they make I find annoying.

On the subject of the disc problems the OP mentioned it should have been pointed out that CD-R media is the least compatible across all Xbox DVD drive makes. Only the Samsung 605B is good with them. 

Weirdly CD-RW is more compatible by experience with that is the one remaining working Philips DVD drive I have doesn't like them much either.

It is recommended to burn any Xbox discs on DVD-R, preferably using ImgBurn whose default settings have been proven to produce good discs with universal compatibility.