OGXbox.com

[SOLVED] chimp clones to new HDD with out problems but i get error 16 when i put in the new drive after cloning, tried fix error 16 button, said it was good, but i still get error 16

xboxGuyannal

chimp clones to new HDD with out problems but i get error 16 when i put in the new drive after cloning. i tried  the 'fix error 16' button in chimp, it said it was good but when i put back in the new HDD i still get Error 16. The stock 10GB HDD i got with the xbox still works if i connect it. i then tired booting the xbox with the 10GB HDD then turning off the xbox and putting in the new HDD but then i got error 13. 

plz help i already spent like 70$$ on this shit. 

my xbox is soft modded i removed the clock capacitor  

i have a compatible HDD, 40-pin/80-wire IDE cables, a working SATA to IDE converter 

Thank you

how was the original drive soft modded? ie sid / rocky5, also did you update the ms-dash before you softmodded it, if tsop'ing or hardmodding isnt an option then i would try unlocking the new drive, re-installing the stock 10gb hard drive, running ms-dash, loading a game such as halo 2 and updating ms-dash by trying to load xbox live, this will mean you need to re-softmod though, then clone the drive and lock.  also as its softmodded i assume you are cloning using hotswap method?

the Xbox was soft modded using rocky5, USB and splinter cell. i did not update the ms-dash befor i softmodded it. and yes tsop'ing or hardmodding is not really and option lol.

and just want to make sure i understand this right. so i will be un-soft-modding the xbox updating ms-dash using halo 2 then re-soft mod the xbox? 

also thank you  so much for the help

Edited by xboxGuyannal

If you don’t already have one made and have a DVD burner, make a copy of the Rocky5 Extras Disc. Sounds like you just need to add a dashboard. You can use any installer disc for that matter but since your soft modded, I suggest the Rocky5 disc. 

Edited by MadMartigan

11 hours ago, xboxGuyannal said:

the Xbox was soft modded using rocky5, USB and splinter cell. i did not update the ms-dash befor i softmodded it. and yes tsop'ing or hardmodding is not really and option lol.

and just want to make sure i understand this right. so i will be un-soft-modding the xbox updating ms-dash using halo 2 then re-soft mod the xbox? 

also thank you  so much for the help

No need to do this MS dashboard upgrade procedure. 

Rocky5's Xbox Softmodding Tool does not use the stock MS dashboard files like some other softmods do.

6 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Which version of Chimp are you guys using and where did you get it? 

Chimp 261812

Download it from Rocky5's github.com repository for the application here.  Click on the green Code button then click on the Download ZIP submenu entry.  Next, extract the content from the ZIP archive.  You will find this Xbox application, Chimp 261812, a supporting application, XBP Table Writer, and installation instructions in the E Partition subfolder.

hello all, i am using the correct version of chimp i have reinstalled the soft mod and up-dated ms-dash. i then re-cloned the HDD using chimp and i still get error 16. i re-hot swapped the drive and did fix error 16 button. i completed fixing the C drive, and i still get error 16,

i plugged in the old drive again to get the clock data, then plugged in the new HDD and got error 13. i then put in halo 2 and re-started the xbox and got error 21. 

im not understanding it could not be the new HDD or the cable or the SATA to IDE adapter because chimp loader can see the new drive and can unlock it and write to it. 

i also make sure to re-lock the HDD every time.

wd caviar blue 500 gb desktop (3.5") drive (wd5000aakb) is the HDD 

13 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Chimp 261812

Download it from Rocky5's github.com repository for the application here.  Click on the green Code button then click on the Download ZIP submenu entry.  Next, extract the content from the ZIP archive.  You will find this Xbox application, Chimp 261812, a supporting application, XBP Table Writer, and installation instructions in the E Partition subfolder.

I was just asking to make sure they were both using the one included with Rocky5. Never know what’s floating around out there for someone to try and use. 

• Thanks 1

Also have to ask if you remembered to switch the new HDD's SATA > IDE adapter from Slave to Master after the Chimp cloning?

I recommend doing that rather than using Cable Select if your adapter has options for both.

Another thing - what Xbox version is being used?

Well its not that then but what the problem is .............................running out of ideas.

My own solution would 'just' be to try another HDD and see if the problem repeats but I can understand if that is not possible. Same goes for the 80 wire IDE cable and the SATA > IDE adapter but I can't see how the other softmodded HDD can clone OK, the new HDD be locked and then provoke error 16 when installed.

I'd unlock the new HDD and thoroughly wipe it on a PC, reformat and then try the Chimp 261812 cloning again.   

• KaosEngineer changed the title to [SOLVED] chimp clones to new HDD with out problems but i get error 16 when i put in the new drive after cloning, tried fix error 16 button, said it was good, but i still get error 16