OGXbox.com

Who is OGXbox Admin?

Bowlsnapper

4 hours ago, Bowlsnapper said:

I was just wondering, whatˋs the story with Admin? What is his background? How did he get into the scene? What led him to create this badass forum we all use? I am curious to know! :)

I try to stay in the background because the site is really about you all and I would never want to have much if any focus on me. 
With that said... I have always loved Xbox modding. I was really into it back in 2002-2004. I learned all I could and modded lots of Xboxs back then. I changed careers in 2014 and that took me to a new state and somehow all of that change rekindled my love for Xbox. I looked around for people who were still into it and they were scattered everywhere. Xbox-scene was dying/dead. I created the FB group and it took off relatively quickly. I did a lot of things wrong there by choosing the wrong admins and commenting on topics unrelated to Xbox.... moderating in a way that was frankly unprofessional. (I still do from time to time if I'm in a weird mood.)
Once the FB group membership got around 10k, we started having content just disappear from the FB group. I became aware that the group could quite literally vanish in the blink of an eye. 
My skillset is in the world of IT, so spinning up a web server was really no trouble. So I fired up a VM on my server at home, set it up and allowed it through my firewall and announced the site. Once the site grew, I went ahead and moved it to a VPS cloud host so it doesn't depend on my home's power and internet reliability. 

Hopefully I covered whatever you were looking for. If not let me know and I'll answer almost anything. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, OGXbox Admin said:

I try to stay in the background because the site is really about you all and I would never want to have much if any focus on me. 
With that said... I have always loved Xbox modding. I was really into it back in 2002-2004. I learned all I could and modded lots of Xboxs back then. I changed careers in 2014 and that took me to a new state and somehow all of that change rekindled my love for Xbox. I looked around for people who were still into it and they were scattered everywhere. Xbox-scene was dying/dead. I created the FB group and it took off relatively quickly. I did a lot of things wrong there by choosing the wrong admins and commenting on topics unrelated to Xbox.... moderating in a way that was frankly unprofessional. (I still do from time to time if I'm in a weird mood.)
Once the FB group membership got around 10k, we started having content just disappear from the FB group. I became aware that the group could quite literally vanish in the blink of an eye. 
My skillset is in the world of IT, so spinning up a web server was really no trouble. So I fired up a VM on my server at home, set it up and allowed it through my firewall and announced the site. Once the site grew, I went ahead and moved it to a VPS cloud host so it doesn't depend on my home's power and internet reliability. 

Hopefully I covered whatever you were looking for. If not let me know and I'll answer almost anything. 

Thank you for all of your time and effort. 

• Like 1

Modding Xboxes back in 2005 actually taught me alot about how computers work, with how similar it was to a PC. I had great enthusiasm as well. It was a big part of my life.

Thank you for creating this forum, which has become an impressive repository of information and a place where very knowledgeable people like Kaos and Dave can answer questions that nobody can. The original xbox will always have a place in my heart and Iˋm glad aplace like this exists to preserve that passion and information for all of us. I never want it to die.

Thanks very much to you, Mr. Admin. :)

• Like 4

22 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

Thank YOU sir.

Edited by Donnie-Burger
  • Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 7:05 PM, corona2222 said:

did you find out why? was it just bad judgement by well intended admins?

FB will sometimes say things don't meet community standards. Everyone thinks it's admin but it's not... It will just be gone. Sometimes you get a message about it. Sometimes you don't. There are ways entire groups can disappear. It's not really the safest way to try to have a community or archive information. It's so far outside of anyone's control it's not funny. That's why this site exists. 

15 hours ago, OGXbox Admin said:

FB will sometimes say things don't meet community standards. Everyone thinks it's admin but it's not... It will just be gone. Sometimes you get a message about it. Sometimes you don't. There are ways entire groups can disappear. It's not really the safest way to try to have a community or archive information. It's so far outside of anyone's control it's not funny. That's why this site exists. 

Community Standards... I had just started a facebook account a week ago and within 40 minutes my account was banned with a vague reason of violating community standards. All I did was say hi to some people I hadnˋt talked to since high school. Guess I wont be reconnecting with any old friends, now.

Facebook is run by pussies.

• Like 2