So i originally got my Xbox in 2004, i was 5 years old. iv'e kept it all these years, now a 19 year old college student. I've always been really into collecting for the original xbox. it's more fun to collect than the playstation 2 in my opinion.

just recently i got around to modding my system, installing unleashx and personalizing it. i also took out the clock capacitor before it leaked. but now i'm looking into TSOP flashing it so i can put a 2tb drive in it. can anyone help me find the upgraded ide cables and the adapter for the drive? i can only find ones coming from china, and i much prefer U.S. based sellers. 

i'm gonna have to do a bit of soldering anyway, not just the TSOP but one of the caps by the CPU is bulging very very slightly. so, i'd do anything to keep my unit alive. 

shrekbox.jpg

would it be possible to give me some advice and tell me what im doing wrong im trying to softmod my original xbox ver. 1.6 a and im doing it without a game or usb adapter ive hotswaped my xbox drive and my pc detects it but when i run xplorer360 it doesnt detect the partions  any thoughts

• 2 weeks later...

You really have to do it fast, just after the Xbox Logo appears. I've tried several times to find the good timing but it works. I start my pc with the Xbox drive connected so it detects a drive on the IDE cable, then i disconnect the Xbox drive, and connect it in the xbox (the PC is still running ), power on the xbox with the drive and just after the logo appears, i hotswap it to my PC

On 10/8/2018 at 8:17 PM, go4bass said:

would it be possible to give me some advice and tell me what im doing wrong im trying to softmod my original xbox ver. 1.6 a and im doing it without a game or usb adapter ive hotswaped my xbox drive and my pc detects it but when i run xplorer360 it doesnt detect the partions  any thoughts

Disconnect the DVD drive to get an error 12.  The HDD should remain unlocked.

The HDD has to remain powered all the time during the Xbox to PC IDE cable swap.  Another item to note here, the Xbox has a floating ground. There's no Earth ground on the AC power cord. 

If you connect the Xbox HDD to the PC when powered by the Xbox, it may reset as the ground level adjusts.  Best to have the drive powered by the PC or have a wire (alligator clipped) to the PC case and Xbox internal shield to tie the two devices grounds together.  That way, there's no potential difference between the two that changes during the cable swap which can reset the HDD thereby causing it to relock.

Edited by KaosEngineer