OGXbox.com

Raspberry All in one

T2Steve

I've had an idea and I'm looking for someone to carry the football on this. I'm thinking about the possibility of combining xboxhdm with a Pi. That would be a cheap all in one solution for a variety of things.

It would allow the extraction and/or flashing of the EEPROM on the xbox. It would allow for locking and unlocking of an attached IDE hard drive or SATA hard drive via USB. It would allow the formatting of the drive, and possibly allow for faster data transfer when cloning the hard drive. Maybe also allow for the formatting of the drive without the need to change the 2 TB partitions around, and maybe even allow for cloning of drives without the use of the xbox. 

thoughts?

• Like 1

As with everything, any idea someone has where they aren't going to "carry the football" will be doa. Everything I've tried to do, I've had to carry it out myself. Most everyone sits around and just waits on things to be done for them. It's the world we live in today. 
As far as the technical aspects of it, I don't know if it has USB 3.0. It would require this to theoretically have faster transfer speeds than the xbox. (hdd to hdd) 
What need is it that you're referring to with 2TB partitions?

• Like 2

just thinking of an all in one solution, something that would replace external EEPROM readers, xboxhdm, and even save games for soft mods, as well as a repair device. I'm not versed in Linux at all, and even less in Pi, so I thought I'd float the idea to see if there was anyone out there in the group who would give it some thought and say "yeah, I like that idea"

If someone takes it and runs with it, that's fine. The idea is out there to be worked with.

• 1 year later...

Not trying to be a buzzkill here, but what is the point? You would need IDE adapters, you would need power supplies for the hard drive(s). The associated costs on something like this makes it seem a bit impractical when faced with throwing XBOXHDM and NDURE's softmod script on a CD and putting it in an old computer...

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/06/2017 at 7:00 AM, T2Steve said:

locking and unlocking of an attached IDE hard drive or SATA hard drive via USB

Everything I've read about xboxhdm is that the linux version doesn't support USB drives. RPi's don't have IDE or SATA. Sorry, but to me it looks like a non-starter (and that's before trying to track down source code and doing an ARM build - all I've seen are x86 binaries).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maethorechannen said:

Everything I've read about xboxhdm is that the linux version doesn't support USB drives. RPi's don't have IDE or SATA. Sorry, but to me it looks like a non-starter (and that's before trying to track down source code and doing an ARM build - all I've seen are x86 binaries).

This.  Sadly this wouldn't work with a pi out of the box.  You'd also have to engineer a IDE/SATA converter let alone porting xboxhdm to linux.  I agree that it would be very cool to have an AIO solution for doing these annoying tasks but it would take a special kind of person to have both the know-how and drive (no pun intended) to make this for a system that isn't exactly at the top of the spotlight right now.  At best you could go with an Intel NUC as it natively supports windows and usb drives.  Might be able to work with something like that but those systems in very basic 2ghz celleron configs are still going to run you $100 USD.  A far-cry from a $35 pi3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

guys just running xboxhdm on a pi is actually possible. i did this already using qemu and x86 binaries. performance is actually good on the rpi3 and probably even better on the new one since it has usb 3, not sure if you could overcome the bottleneck with IDE drives tough. as long as your converter works under linux it should work.

• 3 weeks later...

if an arm build is possible then it doesn't have to be a rpi, there are other single board computers some have sata support and m.2.

granted they are more expensive, but with the right board you could have all the required software loaded on an m.2, then you could connect a sata drive and build an xbox hard disk, then bung in a usb dongle with the eeprom( if needed as zeros could be inbuilt) lock the drive and put in the xbox, the whole thing could be really fast.

but then how many users need a stand alone harddisk builder these days?, it could be an interesting proof if concept or one off project.

personally i'm more interested in refining and streamlining the bios dumper raspi.