OGXbox.com

help with OpenXenium on 1.6 MB with LPC Rebuild QSB

Greyleaf

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the OGXBOX scene.  I have a working TSOPed 1.1 unit with 128GB of RAM I bought on Ebay.

I also have several 1.6 motherboards/shells and I am desperately trying to install an OpenXenium board on any of them.

I believe I ruined two 1.6 motherboards already (maybe they are salvageable?).

I just tried soldering on the LPC rebuild board and 7 row pin header on a known, working 1.6 board last night and I tried to be very meticulous and careful but the console is now FRAGing (3 start attempts followed by blinking red and green).  The actual Openxenium has no leds lit when this happens.  

I have sucessfully soldered a few Playstation 1 modchips as well as a Sege Genesis MegaAmp in the past, but I am having such a hard time getting the LPC rebuild (wire based or QSB board based) and OpenXenium chip working. 

Any pointers?   Will pictures help?

Yes pictures will help.

If you upload the pictures to a share site like Postimages.com and the add the link here that way a high quality pic can be posted.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

I also messed up my first LPC rebuild QSB, take it out, reposition it and be extra careful. Make sure to use flux when soldering and perhaps pre-tin the solder pads with leaded solder to make your life easier. Please share pictures of good quality zoomed in on the QSB so we can help validate your soldering. 

I had a working 1.6 with LPC rebuild installed already and a modchip but I replaced it with an OpenXenium chip and also replaced the QSB because I wanted to prove to myself that I could do that. I failed initially but succeeded on the second attempt. Also, I probably forgot about briding D0 on the Xenium, did you do this?

On 4/19/2022 at 12:01 PM, Greyleaf said:

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the OGXBOX scene.  I have a working TSOPed 1.1 unit with 128GB of RAM I bought on Ebay.

I also have several 1.6 motherboards/shells and I am desperately trying to install an OpenXenium board on any of them.

I believe I ruined two 1.6 motherboards already (maybe they are salvageable?).

I just tried soldering on the LPC rebuild board and 7 row pin header on a known, working 1.6 board last night and I tried to be very meticulous and careful but the console is now FRAGing (3 start attempts followed by blinking red and green).  The actual Openxenium has no leds lit when this happens.  

I have sucessfully soldered a few Playstation 1 modchips as well as a Sege Genesis MegaAmp in the past, but I am having such a hard time getting the LPC rebuild (wire based or QSB board based) and OpenXenium chip working. 

Any pointers?   Will pictures help?

Where are you located? It's possible we have someone that could fix them for you and you might learn a bit from that. 

• Like 1