OGXbox.com

Deathrow - Black screen when starting. Why?

JohnnyHUN

I could play almost every game I've tried, if one of them behaved incorrectly I downloaded an other version and eventually it was perfect. But not with this game... I tried many different version, and all of them giving me the exact result.I start the game, and the black screen remains, even my monitor lose the signal coming from the xbox. The xbox is not turning off, it keeps running. I tried playing it from the HDD. Is this one of those games that can only be played from DVD? Or its something with uncommon copy protection, like Fight Club? 

7 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

Which version of the game: PAL or NTSC?

Which video standard is being used/set in the configuration EEPROM on the Xbox: PAL or NTSC?

Some PAL games only display their output when the console is set to PAL mode (e.g., Codemaster's Club Football series of games).

I think the xbox is PAL, but its set to NTSC because otherwise I couldn't enable the 480p,720p and 1080i. But I also tried the USA version of the game, which is definitely not PAL, and gave the same result.

On 4/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, KaosEngineer said:

Which version of the game: PAL or NTSC?

Which video standard is being used/set in the configuration EEPROM on the Xbox: PAL or NTSC?

Some PAL games only display their output when the console is set to PAL mode (e.g., Codemaster's Club Football series of games).

okay I set my xbox to PAL in the Enigma ntsc-pal switcher, and now its launching. Thank you! Too bad that I have to set it back to NTSC every time to be able to play the others games in good resolution since PAL doesn't allow me to enable the higher resolution modes... what an idiot idea xbox came up with back in those days

It was because at the time in the PAL regions ED/HD and Compenent connections in general were rare. The standard cable type was RGB SCART which gives the best Composite 576i/480i 50Hz/60Hz picture quality but does not come close to matching 480p.

If you 'obtained' the NTSC default.xbe for the game there is a good chance it will work with the PAL files or, of course, go the whole hog and get a copy of the genuine NTSC version.

It sounds as if you just had the video settings (UnleashX) swapped to NTSC before rather than changed the console region setting as you final did so the NTSC version you might have already 'obtained' will now work too, possibly.