OGXbox.com

Found an XBox In the Trash and Now Here I Am!

Newk

Yes the softmod seems to work great!! Used an IDE to SATA adaptor and installed a 1TB HDD, Toshiba PC P300. Awesome!! 😎
For those that want to know which adaptor, it's a TOOGOO from amazon (it came directly from china tho and took it's own sweet time to arrive in my mailbox, but that price makes up for it)

My biggest roadblock getting it fully set up was that it fails to read the Extras disk that i burned from the iso that gets generated by the Build XISO.bat script :(

I did burn it with Xfburn which shouldn't be a problem.. i burned Hexen and another mod tool to dvd with it a wile ago and those don' t fail to read now. Weird.

I tried uploading the Extras Disk folder from the github to the Applications dir on the xbox but it goes to a black screen upon starting.. prolly because the program can't find the dvd in it's tray.
Then at that Github repository i also saw a folder called "Attacher, Detacher" in it's /Utilities/Xbox/ folder.. copied the folders inside and the extras disk iso over to the xbox Applications via ftp and then finally could run it! (as it mounts the dvd virtually to the system).
Had to waste a few dvds to find that out.. this needs to be in the tutorials you can find online, in my opinion a far better option then burning a dvd.

Some of the games that i wanted to try don't seem to work properly, namely: Call of Cthulhu and Jurassic Park Project Genesis
do i have a bad backup copy of them or is there a known problem with the modded system? (tried the persistent mode in softmodtool advanced eeprom settings but that didn't change the errors)
Do you guys know what it could be?

Edited by Newk

hi newk well done on your softmod, i couldn't help noticing in one of your other posts you talk about changing the fans.

i wouldn't bother there is not a third party fan that works as good as stock,and if you have the gpu fan(v1.0) thats only needed with the slimmer v1.0 gpu heatsink, it works fine and isn't noisy at all.

you can play around with fan speed but i just have it at 20%, and it never gets hot, the ogxbox doesn't suffer from the 360's overheating and fan issues

just clean the fans properly and replace the thermal compound.

hope that helps, from what iv'e seen the ogxbox only has heat issues when the heatsink paste is bad or people mess around with the fans.

Thanks for those tips on heat reduction! I already got me some Arctic MX-4 thermal paste (needed also for one of my computers),
just postponed to do so because i saw online that the stock thermal paste is a real bother to remove :/

I put in a Noctua fan that i did cut a bit down on the fan-frame and on the inner casing (as minimal as possible, not to change inner airflow)
i really wanted more silent fan as i like to have as less background noise in my room/studio as possible (i make music).

For the issue with those games.. they where probably bugged extractions from ISOs, i did manage get hold of other ones. Extract-Xiso has still a bug that it can't extract from dual-layer (had confirmation on that bug on GitHub). With XDVDMulleter Beta 10 (windows only) i did had success with those ISOs, finally.

Call Of Cthulhu is spooky 🐙, even on these relatively dated graphics it's a beauty, awesome!

On 10/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, Newk said:

Yes the softmod seems to work great!! Used an IDE to SATA adaptor and installed a 1TB HDD, Toshiba PC P300. Awesome!! 😎
For those that want to know which adaptor, it's a TOOGOO from amazon (it came directly from china tho and took it's own sweet time to arrive in my mailbox, but that price makes up for it)

My biggest roadblock getting it fully set up was that it fails to read the Extras disk that i burned from the iso that gets generated by the Build XISO.bat script :(

I did burn it with Xfburn which shouldn't be a problem.. i burned Hexen and another mod tool to dvd with it a wile ago and those don' t fail to read now. Weird.

I tried uploading the Extras Disk folder from the github to the Applications dir on the xbox but it goes to a black screen upon starting.. prolly because the program can't find the dvd in it's tray.
Then at that Github repository i also saw a folder called "Attacher, Detacher" in it's /Utilities/Xbox/ folder.. copied the folders inside and the extras disk iso over to the xbox Applications via ftp and then finally could run it! (as it mounts the dvd virtually to the system).
Had to waste a few dvds to find that out.. this needs to be in the tutorials you can find online, in my opinion a far better option then burning a dvd.

There's a prebuilt Extras ISO available from Rocky5's google drive repository for the latest Xbox Softmodding Tool build.

Xbox Softmod Kit Updates - Google Drive

On 10/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, Newk said:

Some of the games that i wanted to try don't seem to work properly, namely: Call of Cthulhu and Jurassic Park Project Genesis
do i have a bad backup copy of them or is there a known problem with the modded system? (tried the persistent mode in softmodtool advanced eeprom settings but that didn't change the errors)
Do you guys know what it could be?

There are two different types of disc images available on the net.  XISO and ReDump-style complete dual-layer disc images.

The XISO disc images that are generally used on the Xbox contain only the files from the XDVDFS portion of the ReDump disc images.

Those files are all that's needed to play.

I've not had much luck burning a dual-layer ReDump disc image and having it work.

You can use XDVDMulleter 10.2 Beta found in ogXbox.com's Download section to extract the XDVDFS portion from a ReDump disc image.  ReDump image archives are usually very large - >5GBs.  Most games file sets or XISO images are <4.7GBs but not all.  There are a few games that are larger than a standard single layer DVD-R's 4.7GB max size.

Updated size of ReDump-style archive's that hold the dot iso files.

An XISO-format dot ISO disc image file's content can be extracted with Qwix v1.0.1 or C-Xbox Tool 2.0.6 or 2.0.7. These two Windows applications are also available in this web site's download section.