OGXbox.com

Full Spectrum Warrior pressure sensitivity bug/fluke?

pidgin

I started playing Full Spectrum Warrior after picking up a copy at a local game store, and I've got a weird issue. It seems the game wants me to jam the buttons all the way down for them to register in the game. Considering you have to press a button every time you issue an order, this means I'm constantly jamming the buttons down at a force that feels uncomfrotable, and it makes me misinput (as in actually miss inputs) rather often, because I don't naturally "bottom out" the buttons like that.

My question is if this is normal behavior for the game, as in the programmers intentionally or unintentionally programmed face button inputs to only register at full pressure, or if this is an issue involving my hardware/software. Game is running on a 1.6 softmod, downloaded to hard drive with DVD2Xbox, tested with OEM controllers with tested inputs. Unable to test on my chipped 1.4 as it's down some repairs.

That has not been my experience with the game, either on OG Xbox or via backward compatibility.  That being said, it was my understanding that the buttons on controllers are not analogue.  They are either on or off, unlike the triggers and joysticks.  Have you got more than one controller to try with?

2 hours ago, Sir Philipe said:

That has not been my experience with the game, either on OG Xbox or via backward compatibility.  That being said, it was my understanding that the buttons on controllers are not analogue.  They are either on or off, unlike the triggers and joysticks.  Have you got more than one controller to try with?

According to KaosEngineer, who knows his stuff, as well as Wikipedia, the controller face buttons, excluding start and select, are actually pressure sensitive. I had no idea until a little while ago that this was even a thing, and very few games even use it. The only game I know of is DOA Volleyball, but I’m not sure how it’s actually implemented

The following face buttons and controls on the original Xbox controller are pressure sensitive:

• A
  • B
  • X
  • Y
  • Black
  • White
  • Left trigger
  • Right trigger

They returns values from 0 [not pressed] - 255 [fully depressed].

The following buttons are not pressure sensitive.  They return either an on (1) or off (0) state:

• D-pad: Up, Down, Left, and Right
  • Left and right thumbstick buttons

Edit: The analog joysticks return values from -32,768 (full left or down position) to +32,767 (full right or up position) for the X (left/right) and Y (up/down) axis.