OGXbox.com

Modchip cause xbox to start as soon as I plug it into the socket, and can't be turned off.

JohnnyHUN

A service installed an Aladdin xt modchip into my xbox, works perfectly, the problem I have is that if I press the power button it drops me into the official MS dash, if I hold the power button for 1 sec it takes me to the Slayers custom dash, so I can play anything. I wanted the modchip to be permanently enabled so I dont have to hold every time the power button, so I soldered two joints as shown here:

Aladdin XT plus 2 - Always ON - Jumper (Green).jpg

This causes my xbox to turn on as soon as I plug it into the wall, even without pressing the power button, and the xbox can't be turned off.

Is it a normal thing? I mean this automatic power on obviously not normal, but that one that I have to hold the power button to enter custom dash, is it normal?

Or the service messed up the soldering points with the modchip on the motherboard? I have a 1.6 motherboard I guess.

Edited by JohnnyHUN

have you checked the board for trace corrosion? this is what would usually cause the auto-on / power issues

edit, you have disconnected the long wires going to the front of the board once youve done the bt/gnd bridge yep?

Edited by bolofski

1 hour ago, JohnnyHUN said:

A service installed an Aladdin xt modchip into my xbox, works perfectly, the problem I have is that if I press the power button it drops me into the official MS dash, if I hold the power button for 1 sec it takes me to the Slayers custom dash, so I can play anything. I wanted the modchip to be permanently enabled so I dont have to hold every time the power button, so I soldered two joints as shown here:

Aladdin XT plus 2 - Always ON - Jumper (Green).jpg

This causes my xbox to turn on as soon as I plug it into the wall, even without pressing the power button, and the xbox can't be turned off.

Is it a normal thing?

No.

I mean this automatic power on obviously not normal, but that one that I have to hold the power button to enter custom dash, is it normal?

Yes, If the BT pad of the modchip is connected to the power button signal instead of strapped to ground as in the image you posted, a short tap of the power button boots the stock BIOS on the motherboard (modchip disabled) and a long power button press boots the BIOS stored on the modchip (modchip enabled).

Does the pin header installed in your motherboard have pin 4 present?

See: LPC Debug Port - xboxdevwiki for pinout and signal descriptions.  Pin 1 has the silkscreened arrowhead point to it.

27 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

No.

Yes, If the BT pad of the modchip is connected to the power button signal instead of strapped to ground as in the image you posted, a short tap of the power button boots the stock BIOS on the motherboard (modchip disabled) and a long power button press boots the BIOS stored on the modchip (modchip enabled).

Does the pin header installed in your motherboard have pin 4 present?

See: LPC Debug Port - xboxdevwiki for pinout and signal descriptions.  Pin 1 has the silkscreened arrowhead point to it.

I am not into this stuff really, so I have no idea :/  The guy from service told me this works in this way, maybe due to trace corrosion he bridged something or I dont know, Its just weird for me... And I soldered the way the picture shown me, so its supposed to work flawlessly, but now that I removed that wire it went back to this short tap- long press mode, which is still better than the always on... I tried to look for trace corrosion, but found nothing

On 4/2/2022 at 2:24 PM, bolofski said:

when you bridge bt to gnd to force the chip into always on, you have to remove the long wire(s) attached to l1 / bt that go points near the front 

Do you have two wires connected to the BT pad:  the original going to the power button signal and the new one strapping it to ground?

If so, remove the power button signal wire but leave the BT to ground - modchip always-on wire connected.

If the power button signal is being grounded, the console will turn on when power is applied. 

the modchip is always lighting RED, even when the Xbox is turned off. And when I grounded the BT the console turned on itself automatically when I plugged into the wall. So I guess something is not right, I mean is it normal that the Aladdin chip is powered all the time? Even when the xbox is not running? Two wires are going somewhere to the motherboard from the chip, I can't tell you where since I am not familiar with the chip soldering. Its an 1.6 motherboard by the way, so this is the only method to hardmod.

52 minutes ago, JohnnyHUN said:

the modchip is always lighting RED, even when the Xbox is turned off. And when I grounded the BT the console turned on itself automatically when I plugged into the wall. So I guess something is not right, I mean is it normal that the Aladdin chip is powered all the time? Even when the xbox is not running?

On a v1.6 console, yes.  The LPC Debug port's pin 6 - 5Vdc - is always on unlike previous revisions that only had 5Vdc present when the console was powered on, not simply connected to AC power. Since the Aladdin modchip powers the LED from pin 6, it will always be on.  For a v1.6 Xbox, the modchip requires a modification to only be lit when the console is actually turned on.

Two wires are going somewhere to the motherboard from the chip, I can't tell you where since I am not familiar with the chip soldering. Its an 1.6 motherboard by the way, so this is the only method to hardmod.

Can you take some pictures of the location where these wires connect to on the modchip and motherboard? 

If so, please share them on an image-sharing site such as imgur.com or imgbb.com then post the link to them in a reply.

I believe at least one of those wires needs to be disconnected from the modchip.

Just now, KaosEngineer said:

On a v1.6 console, yes.  The LPC Debug port's pin 6 - 5Vdc is always on unlike previous revisions that only had 5Vdc present when the console was powered on, not simply connected to AC power. Since the Aladdin modchip powers the LED from pin 6, it will always be on in a v1.6 console.  On a v1.6 Xbox, the modchip requires a modification to only be lit when the console is actually running.

Can you take some pictures of the location where these wires connected to on the modchip and motherboard? 

If so, please share them on an image-sharing site such as imgur.com or imbb.com then post the link to them in a reply.

I believe at least one of those wires needs to be disconnected from the modchip.

they are going under the motherboard, and I dont want to take out the motherboard since I have to unplug a lot of stuff and unscrew many screws and I am not familiar with these stuffs and I don't wanna plug things into wrong places or forget a couple things when re-assemblying :D But I do remember one of the wires came lose because they are really thin wires and had to be re-soldered (by not me), it caused the xbox to only enter original dashboard and even if I pressed the power button for 1 sec it didn't go to the custom dashboard as it usually did. This cable went right direction toward the power supply (i don't know where exactly), the other cable is going north, but that never got detached.

4 minutes ago, JohnnyHUN said:

they are going under the motherboard, and I dont want to take out the motherboard since I have to unplug a lot of stuff and unscrew many screws and I am not familiar with these stuffs and I don't wanna plug things into wrong places or forget a couple things when re-assemblying :D But I do remember one of the wires came lose because they are really thin wires and had to be re-soldered (by not me), it caused the xbox to only enter original dashboard and even if I pressed the power button for 1 sec it didn't go to the custom dashboard as it usually did. This cable went right direction toward the power supply (i don't know where exactly), the other cable is going north, but that never got detached.

There should only be one wire connected to the modchip's BT pad.  The one you connected to the modchip itself (pin 2 - Ground) to always enable it.   Remove the other one which is now signaling the console to turn on the instant AC power is connected. 

You have connected the power button signal to ground through the modchip's BT pad.  Exactly what the power button does.  It grounds the power button signal line going to the Xyclops chip which turns on the console. 

2 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

There should only be one wire connected to the modchip's BT pad.  The one you connected to the modchip itself (pin 2 - Ground) to always enable it.   Remove the other one which is now signaling the console to turn on the instant AC power is connected. 

You have connected the power button signal to ground through the modchip's BT pad.  Exactly what the power button does.  It grounds the power button signal line going to the Xyclops chip which turns on the console. 

That 2 wire is not coming from the BT port, they are coming from the chip itself, but I can't remember exactly which part they are coming from. Also, there is a 6(?) pin connector that goes the motherboard that connects the motherboard and chip. So that connector, and 2 wires that goes from somewhere. I'm sorry that this unprecise I am, I just don't know these stuffs but I guess I have to either hand it to a professional or deal with this :D

3 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

That 2 wire is not coming from the BT port, they are coming from the chip itself, but I can't remember exactly which part they are coming from. Also, there is a 6(?) pin connector that goes the motherboard that connects the motherboard and chip. So that connector, and 2 wires that goes from somewhere. I'm sorry that this unprecise I am, I just don't know these stuffs but I guess I have to either hand it to a professional or deal with this :D

Easier to open the Xbox again, remove the hard drive and DVD drive and take some clear closeup photos of the modchip showing where the wires are soldered to it then post them so I can tell you exactly what needs to be done to fix it.

I still believe you have grounded the power button signal through the BT strap that you added to always enable the modchip.