OGXbox.com

Linux On XBox - What Is It Good for?

neighbor

Hello World

Let's discuss about Linux on Xbox Original, and what is it good for? I've read people use it to browse the internet and even watch Youtube throught a special distributive of Mozilla. Can anyone confirm launching Linux ports of Windows games on XDSL, and which ones? Counter Strike port for Linux would be awesome, never tried that, but found a port of 1.4 or 1.5 on the web. Maybe anyone kept a website on Xbox, by using it as server?

What I was most impressed of, is the posibility of running a cluster of Xbox-es, tried that few years ago, but the update links for that distro were all dead, hope somebody has an image of a Linux distributive with everything set up or maybe can point on how to fully install everything in 2018. Do I understand correctly. that the cluster's power is all node's powers summarized, for example as the picture shows , is 12 x 733 mhz = 8796mhz?

http://www.bgfax.com/xbox/home.html

https://www.anandtech.com/show/1539/8

http://www.xl-cluster.org/index.php

ClusterX-1.JPG

Edited by neighbor
  • Like 1

i'm looking at toying with linux on xbox shortly.
my plan was to have one of the cheap aladdin mod chips with BT point on a mini toggle so i could switch between ind-bios and cromwell booting linux from hdd.

not sure if the mini toggle idea works, but it makes sense in my mind that the bt point being soldered as "always on" in the standard install instructions could make it switchable between onboard tsop bios and chip bios with an added switch..... for 5-6 dollars in parts its an interesting way to add a boot option. 

would be a fun experiment. and interesting to see whats possible in linux.

• 1 year later...
On 9/26/2018 at 10:28 PM, wikati said:

i'm looking at toying with linux on xbox shortly.
my plan was to have one of the cheap aladdin mod chips with BT point on a mini toggle so i could switch between ind-bios and cromwell booting linux from hdd.

not sure if the mini toggle idea works, but it makes sense in my mind that the bt point being soldered as "always on" in the standard install instructions could make it switchable between onboard tsop bios and chip bios with an added switch..... for 5-6 dollars in parts its an interesting way to add a boot option. 

would be a fun experiment. and interesting to see whats possible in linux.

Yes you can use a switch on the BT or wire the BT to the bower button, You have Cromwell flashed in the chip and IND flashed in the TSOP.

If you boot with the power button it boots the Cromwell and boot the Xbox with the eject button it will boot the IND bios.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.