OGXbox.com

Mother Board Dvd Drive Issue

psnap777

I've got a v1.4 XBOX with an issue with the DVD drive not opening. I have already taken it apart and replaced the belt in the Phillips dvd drive. Then decided to swap drives with another working XBOX that also has a Phillips drive. After the swap, the issue remains with the original XBOX I was working on. In other words, the working drive from another XBOX now won't open. Meanwhile, the drive that I swapped into the working XBOX now opens. This leads me to believe that both DVD drives are good and maybe something is up with the motherboard in the original v1.4 I am working on. Do you guys have any ideas what could be causing this? Is my v1.4 motherboard bad? It seems to open if there is no disc in the tray. Once I put a disc in the tray it will read it and start the game. When I try to eject the game the screen goes black and the disc will not eject. It behaves the same way with both dvd drives I have tried it with and I have verified that both dvd drives are working.

Double check the yellow power/control header for bent pins inside the shroud on either end of the cable connection - motherboard or DVD drive.  

The Eject function (NEJECT) is controlled by one of the wires in that cable, pin 4, coming from the System Management Controller (SMC), a PIC microprocessor, pin 7 on the motherboard.

5ba8dcb48f39e_ogXboxDVDPowerControlCablePinout.png.e60d84eb339b9e5cfb9d9b65557b6c30.png

The motherboard end has an additional 2 pins, 13 and 14, with no wires attached.

Edited by KaosEngineer

I should have said bent, broken, or missing pins.  Especially pin 4 as it's the eject control line.

Another possible problem could be the front panel button and/or the trace running from there to the SMC.  Leaked clock cap electrolyte can corrode the trace that carries this signal which can prevent the Eject button from working.

I don’t think it’s the front panel button since I have tried this motherboard in two different cases with the same result. Also, other motherboards work in both cases. But it could certainly be traces you mentioned. I’ll have to pull the board again and look closely at the pins and traces you mentioned. Thanks again for your suggestions.