OGXbox.com

old modded xbox needing rescue

SpaceChimp

Hello Folks, i have a xbox since 2001, about 2004 i put a duo x2 chip but never really explored much the emulators, etc. My dvd drive is kaput, maybe it can read again with some cleaning and tweaking the lenses ( in ps2 it worked for the rest of the lenses life) but id like to read my hard drive before it fails and clone it to a ssd. How do do this? I can plug the disk to a computer and its just a normal disk clone?

• Like 1

You can clone it directly from the Xbox using the application called Chimp. This will require an ide to sata converter, a y-splitter molex cable to power both drives, and then an 80wire 40 pin ide cable for running the SSD afterward. 

Alternatively you can plug your current HDD into your computer and make a backup of it using FatXplorer or the more difficult to use program Xplorer360. Pretty sure both programs will require your HDD to be unlocked in order to mount.

I’m probably missing something so if someone else catches it, please correct me. 

• Like 1

I too, have an ancient modded OG XB (in my case it has an old Team Xecuter 2.6 chip though). Just an FYI, I don't know that following the video for Chimp 1 for 1 will work since it specifically calls out to use softmod in it, but I'm willing to try it as apparently past me didn't have money to get a large hdd back then and now I have a few extra old drives no longer in use. At some point I'll see what happens on my own modded box so I can back a few more games up on an HDD. At least this gave me a jump off point.

1 hour ago, Thoragh said:

I too, have an ancient modded OG XB (in my case it has an old Team Xecuter 2.6 chip though). Just an FYI, I don't know that following the video for Chimp 1 for 1 will work since it specifically calls out to use softmod in it, but I'm willing to try it as apparently past me didn't have money to get a large hdd back then and now I have a few extra old drives no longer in use. At some point I'll see what happens on my own modded box so I can back a few more games up on an HDD. At least this gave me a jump off point.

Cloning the drive will work on a soft or hard modded console.  For a softmodded console, the hard drive has to be locked which Chimp provides a menu option to do.  Locking is not required for your hard modded console. 

A new hard drive can be prepared on a hard modded Xbox by booting an installer disc, burn disc image (dot iso file) to DVD-R media (e.g. OGXbox Installer 2021 v1.5.4) or on a Windows PC using the currently free FATXplorer 3.0 Beta .NET 6 application.

See Hazeno's tutorial - FATXplorer 2TB Preload Guide

NOTE: A 2TB SATA hard drive is not required. 2TB's (actually 2.2TBs) is the maximum size hard drive that modified Xbox BIOSes with ozpaulb's LBA48 v2 or later patch applied currently supports.

To use a SATA hard, an IDE-to-SATA adapter with MASTER/SLAVE jumper block is suggested as well as a high-speed 24" long 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable.

• Like 1