OGXbox.com

XBOXHDM Build, lock, edit, OGXbox HDD from windows!

barnito

• 2 months later...

I unofficially updated this to beta 3.

1. Cleaner folder structure.
  2. softmod installer included. ( inside the HDD Files folder )
  3. new option to check the HDD security status.
  4. eeprom.bin goes in the root folder. ( next to xboxhd.bat )

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzRN8P835YijUFloekdzaUVyMFk

i may see about updating smartctl to the latest version and add Idotsfan’s changes to it. We will see, depends if I can be bothered. 

Edited by Rocky5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got this working with regular SATA drives under Windows. I decided to dig around a bit and look at how Windows references drives and such and the batch scripts aren't that heavy, however I was not able to edit them on account of my batch-foo level being too low. I noticed that it does a search for "USB" when it lists the drives to filter out your internal drives and whatnot. Realistically we should be able to use any drive we want, as we are just passing it off to QEMU to be used with the guest. So if someone could just edit the drive selection to properly leave out the USB part it should work with the batch scripts.

I don't use Windows often at all anymore (had to use my wife's computer for this testing), so if someone else wants to give it a shot and let me know how it works for them that would be nice.

• Have Xboxhdm downloaded
  • Navigate to "Xboxhdm2.3-USB\XboxHD"
  • Open a command prompt (Shift + Right Click -> Open Command Window Here) and run this command:
wmic diskdrive get model, name

• Should look like this: Output (The "USB" device that I'm using reads as an internal drive to Windows)
  • Edit "launch.bat" and change "\\.\PhysicalDrive%1" to match the drive that we pulled from the commmand prompt. I will be using "\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2"
  • We can now save and run this batch file or run this command directly.
qemu-system-i386w.exe -kernel kernel -initrd initrd.gz -hdb fat:..\HDD_files\ -hda \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE2 -append "load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0 ramdisk_size=24000 rw root=/dev/ram pci=biosirq vga=0x317"

• After a few moments, qemu should launch and XboxHDM should begin booting.
  • Once Xboxhdm is booted do a "fdisk -l" to make sure we see our disk listed as "/dev/hda"
Edited by h0ly lag

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone recommend a USB adapter that can lock and unlock both IDE and SATA drives with XBOXHDM23?  I've got the Sabrent USB-DS12 but it doesn't work.at all.  I've looked at the Smartmontools USB Device Support wiki buts its hard to tell what on that list is hard drives, what is enclosures, what is adapters and what on that list you can still get now.   Anybody have any suggestions. on a good adapter to get? Thanks

I've got the Sabrent USB-DS12 but it doesn't work.at all. 

@RMM what's the Vendor and Product ID for the USB device?

Two other Sabrent USB to SATA HDD adapters have Vendor:Product IDs:

1. 0x174c:0x1153
  2. 0x174c:0x5136

There are lots of USB to SATA HDD adapters that require an additional command line option to work as the automatic setting without any doesn't properly determine the adapter bridge in the device.

I use usbview.exe. A standalone Windows app to find them. (Virus free - scan results at VirusTotal)

I think you'll need to add an option to the smartctl.exe command lines in each of the dot bat (batch) files that use it. 

Option to add right after smartctl.exe and before the rest of the current line:

<space>-d<space>sat<space>

don't type <space> press the space bar to enter it as a single character.

I know I have problems on my 32-bit Windows 10 Pro laptop getting XboxHDM23USB to work - compatibility issues as @halim-2h showed.  However, it works on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop install.

Edited by KaosEngineer

Thanks for the help.  According to usbview, the vendor id is 0x1F75  and the product id is 0x0611.  I have tried using this on two computers with Windows 10 and one with 8.1.   The computers recognize the adapter with no problem but xboxhdm23 cant see it.

An Innostor Technology Corporation's USB 3.0/??2.0 possibly USB-to-HDD adapter based on theIS611 USB3.0 to SATA/PATA Bridge Controller.

It is not listed in either the supported or unsupported devices.

https://www.smartmontools.org/wiki/Supported_USB-Devices

The device with VID:PID = 0x17F5:0x0621 is in the supported list but you have to add "-d sat" to the command line of smartctl.exe for it to work.

Update: The version of smartctl.exe included with XboxHDM23USB is 6.2 but there are newer releases 6.3, 6.4, etc. and even the latest found in smartmontools 7.0 released 2018-12-30 that have better support for many USB-to-HDD bridge controllers.

On 1/26/2018 at 5:41 AM, halim-2h said:

thank you for replying ,but i have a problem with SMARTCTL.EXE it said its not compatible

I think you'll need to edit 18 lines in xboxhd.bat: 

if "%drive0%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE0  " if "%entry%"=="0" call lockhdd.bat a & goto menu
if "%drive1%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE1  " if "%entry%"=="1" call lockhdd.bat b & goto menu
if "%drive2%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE2  " if "%entry%"=="2" call lockhdd.bat c & goto menu
if "%drive3%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE3  " if "%entry%"=="3" call lockhdd.bat d & goto menu
if "%drive4%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE4  " if "%entry%"=="4" call lockhdd.bat e & goto menu
if "%drive5%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE5  " if "%entry%"=="5" call lockhdd.bat f & goto menu

if "%drive0%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE0  " if "%entry%"=="0" call unlockhdd.bat a & goto menu
if "%drive1%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE1  " if "%entry%"=="1" call unlockhdd.bat b & goto menu
if "%drive2%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE2  " if "%entry%"=="2" call unlockhdd.bat c & goto menu
if "%drive3%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE3  " if "%entry%"=="3" call unlockhdd.bat d & goto menu
if "%drive4%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE4  " if "%entry%"=="4" call unlockhdd.bat e & goto menu
if "%drive5%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE5  " if "%entry%"=="5" call unlockhdd.bat f & goto menu

if "%drive0%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE0  " if "%entry%"=="0" call checklockhdd.bat a & goto menu
if "%drive1%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE1  " if "%entry%"=="1" call checklockhdd.bat b & goto menu
if "%drive2%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE2  " if "%entry%"=="2" call checklockhdd.bat c & goto menu
if "%drive3%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE3  " if "%entry%"=="3" call checklockhdd.bat d & goto menu
if "%drive4%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE4  " if "%entry%"=="4" call checklockhdd.bat e & goto menu
if "%drive5%"=="PHYSICALDRIVE5  " if "%entry%"=="5" call checklockhdd.bat f & goto menu

All of these calls to lockhdd.bat, unlockhdd.bat and checklockhdd.bat need to have 32 added before the extension dot bat (e.g., change lockhdd.bat to lockhdd32.bat).

Better still make a copy of xboxhd.bat named xboxhd32.bat and change all those lines in it.  When using XboxHDM23USB on a 32-bit installation of Windows, start XboxHDM23USB using xboxhd32.bat instead of xboxhd.bat

Edited by KaosEngineer

On 3/9/2019 at 11:51 AM, KaosEngineer said:

I think you'll need to add an option to the smartctl.exe command lines in each of the dot bat (batch) files that use it. 

Option to add right after smartctl.exe and before the rest of the current line:

<space>-d<space>sat<space>

don't type <space> press the space bar to enter it as a single character...

I edited checklockhdd.bat, checklockhdd32.bat, lockhdd.bat, lockhdd32.bat, unlockhdd.bat and unlockhdd32.bat.   My C drive now shows up along with my card reader and a USB thumb drive but still no Sabrent USB hard drive.

Being curious I opened a command prompt and ran the smartctl --scan command on the smartctl included in xboxhdm23beta 3 to see what would show up.  Only my C drive is listed.  I then opened a Windows PowerShell and ran the same smartctl --scan command and the PowerShell  listed all 4 storage devices I have connected including my Sabrent USB adapter/hard drive.  I'm not computer literate enough to know why the Sabrent adapter shows up with a PowerShell but not a command prompt when I use the smartctl -scan on the same smartctl.exe in xboxhdm23.   In any event the Sabrent adapter still doesn't show up even after editing the bat files and then running xboxhdm23.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

Edited by RMM
spelling

Update: This won't work.  The smartctl.exe program in later versions of smartmontools has not been patched with the security routines to lock and unlock the Xbox HDD.

You might try downloading and installing the latest version of smartmontools  (7.0). Then, replace the smartctl (6.2) executable of XboxHDM23USB with the newer version.

If you use the default install path, you'll find the executable at:

C:\Program Files\smartmontools\bin\smartctl.exe

11 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

You might try downloading and installing the latest version of smartmontools  (7.0). Then, replace the smartctl (6.2) executable of XboxHDM23USB with the newer version.

If you use the default install path, you'll find the executable at:

C:\Program Files\smartmontools\bin\smartctl.exe

I should have added in my previous post I also did try that.  When I ran the --scan command with smartctl 7.0 as a standalone the Sabrent adapter did show so that was promising.   However, when I copied smartctl.exe over to xboxhdm and ran the xboxhd.bat the Sabrent adapter wasn't listed.  I also tried with the modified .bat files and still nothing.  I noticed the smarctl.exe in 7.0 is much small than the older one included with xboxhdm23 so Im guessing the smartctl.exe in xboxhdm23 is heavily modified to make it work for the purposes of xboxhdm.

@RMM , the VID you gave, 0x1F75, is not Sabrent but Innostor Technologies.  The bridge chip inside the Sabrent must be Innostor's IS611.  Which doesn't show up on the compatible or incompatible list for smartmontools. 

Did you add the "-d sat" option into all the batch file lines that execute smartctl.exe?

Update: I don't know if smartctl.exe v6.2 included is specific to XboxHDM23USB or not.  All the commands required for it are all standard as per the ATA bus spec.

Update: You are correct though for locking  and unlocking the HDD.  These operations need to read the Xbox's eeprom.bin file and decrypt it to get the HDDKey and then generate the correct locking/unlocking password.  So, smartctl.exe 6.2 that comes with XboxHDM23USB Beta 2 or 3 will be required not the new 7.0 release. :(

Edited by KaosEngineer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Can this somehow be used to build a 2TB Xbox format hard drive? I know FTP would obviously work, but if  I can avoid the slow FTP transfers (top transfer rate for me is about 11mbps) and transfer via my SATA USB 3.0 dock, that would be awesome

Edited by XC-3730C