OGXbox.com

OGxbox - Failed DVD, modded chip but running OG dashboard

Chuonglnk

So I bought my XB from Ebay. It shipped with Aladdin plus modchip ( booted with blue Logo and text ) but running to original MS Dashboard. I assumed previous owner just want to run the game dvds and didnt need the dashboard thought.
Its HDD is locked so plug to PC is impossible. I have tested several disc with its dvd player and can confirm its Samsung DVD is now dead. 
Id like to ask if there is anyway to install the Evox dashboard to its HDD or will it work if I format and copy EvoX dashboard to new HDD and plug it to the console? Thank you. 

Since the console is hard modded, you can prepare a new UNLOCKED hard drive with a replacement dashboard installed then install it into the Xbox to boot into a replacement dashboard.

Once booting from the new hard drive, use Evoxdash or ConfigMagic to obtain a backup of the configuration EEPROM's data so you can unlock the original hard drive and check its content.

• Thanks 1

Use FATXplorer 3.0 Beta to format and write the files to a new hard drive.

See Hazeno's tutorial - Preload 2TB HDD Upgrade : Hardmod : Guide

Note: A 2TB hard drive is not required that's simply the max size hard drive Xbox's supported with the modified Xbox BIOSes until recently. Cerbios and M8plus-TITAN support 8 and 16TB drives respectively; however, software tools to support preparing these larger hard drives are in beta development, not ready for the general use.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/14/2022 at 7:47 PM, KaosEngineer said:

Use FATXplorer 3.0 Beta to format and write the files to a new hard drive.

See Hazeno's tutorial - Preload 2TB HDD Upgrade : Hardmod : Guide

Note: A 2TB hard drive is not required that's simply the max size hard drive Xbox's supported with the modified Xbox BIOSes until recently. Cerbios and M8plus-TITAN support 8 and 16TB drives respectively; however, software tools to support preparing these larger hard drives are in beta development, not ready for the general use.

Thanks KaosEngineer I have successfully booted my childhood up. Much appreciated!!!

• Like 1

why would you need to prepare a new hdd? I bought a 2 tb hdd and coming home from the store I put it right into the xbox and formated using hexen 2018 only :D It also installed the modded dashboard, but at first I did not have a G partition, never asked, so I had to upgrade the BIOS as well, and after that it recognised the 2 tb storage.

Also you will need an 80 pin/80 wire IDE cable instead of the original 40 wire one.

by the way, have you tried holding the power on button for 1-2 sec? I have an xbox where if I press the power on button it drops me to the original MS dashboard, but if I hold the power button for 1-2 sec it activates the modchip and takes me to the custom dashboard (xbmc in my case)

5 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

why would you need to prepare a new hdd? I bought a 2 tb hdd and coming home from the store I put it right into the xbox and formated using hexen 2018 only :D It also installed the modded dashboard, but at first I did not have a G partition, never asked, so I had to upgrade the BIOS as well, and after that it recognised the 2 tb storage.

Also you will need an 80 pin/80 wire IDE cable instead of the original 40 wire one.

by the way, have you tried holding the power on button for 1-2 sec? I have an xbox where if I press the power on button it drops me to the original MS dashboard, but if I hold the power button for 1-2 sec it activates the modchip and takes me to the custom dashboard (xbmc in my case)

Great but my dvd is dead how do I hexen my new hdd? 🐣🐣🐣

5 hours ago, Chuonglnk said:

Great but my dvd is dead how do I hexen my new hdd? 🐣🐣🐣

I'm sorry I missed that part :D But, I have a Samsung DVD drive in one of my xbox, and yea its the worst all of them, and I thought its faulty too, but turns out its not faulty, its just behaving weird. First, it only reads DVD- type of dvds, then when I'm in the dashboard, and I put in my DVD it does nothing, only when I reboot the xbox and during boot process it spins up the DVD and only this time its willing to load anything. 

If you have an other xbox dvd drive you can just swap them, or there are a couple normal dvd drive made for average consumers for PC that can be flashed and use it as an original xbox dvd drive. 

If these are not working, or the second thing is not an option then yea, only thing you can do is to follow KaosEngineer's method I guess