OGXbox.com

Softmod for dummies 101

Grayso

Hi,

I have just dusted off my old Xbox I bought back in 2003, and decided to softmoded it since I figured the Microsoft warrenty was probably no good anymore..... I successfully softmoded the Xbox using Splintercell, and now have the UnleashX dashboard installed.

Just a simple question for what to do next (hopefully)? As a person knowing absouluty nothing/zero about a softmoded Xbox. What what are the main / essential things recommend to be carried out next following a softmod, as one starts their journey down this new road of unlocking the Xbox's potential?

My main goal is to just load some old games to the HDD, and have ability to watch a movie in HD (if possible)? I understand how to FTP, but have no idea what I should even try to load and/or save onto the Xbox HDD to begin with....

Thank you for any pointers to get going!

Grayso

xmbc - will allow you to play media files

dvdx - will play dvds as long as your drive is working :)

if its the stock hard drive you wont fit many xbox games on (maybe 1 depending on the game!).  to get ftp going set to dhcp in network settings of unleashx, the ip will be displayed on the front dash as soon as you connect the xbox to your router, then the username and password are both 'xbox'.  have a think about upgrading the hard drive though in order to get the most out of it, then you can cram it with games and emulators 

Backup your eeprom to PC and/or flash drive.

Set up FTP as ^ suggested so you're set up to Install games, apps, homebrew, emulators etc using that direct from your PC.

I would say the main thing to do is, assuming you're still using the original retail HDD, is to replace it with a larger one. The retail HDD is so small its almost useless when you want to start installing stuff to it. There is <5GB free space to play with and that is smaller than some Xbox games.

The reason you will and should want to install games etc to the HDD is a very practical one: taking the strain from the DVD drive, the Xbox's Achilles heel.