OGXbox.com

Aladdin XT + write enable

MarkC1970

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, MadMartigan said:

All part of my reasoning for a pinned topic. Tons of great info here. 

On the left is the flash-able version, on the right is the clone non-flashable.  I tired many methods with hot swapping and its a no go.

azAfI3b - Imgur.jpg

Edited by Donnie-Burger

• 5 weeks later...

Anyone else getting caught out with knockoff Aladdin's, if your SST chip is laser etched its most likely fake. Only genuine ones I've seen had printed text.

What I gather from this thread is the problem stems from the provided laser etched 49LF020A actually being a 49LF002A which has a different write protocol, making the (probably also cloned) Lattice on the Aladdin incapable of writing to it. But, You can still program it with an external programmer... if you have one.

What I managed to do was buy a new 49LF020 from Australia's favorite electronics store, Jaycar.
I then booted to the clone and hot swapped (remove the Aladdin while system was booted, swapped the SST chip and reinstalled the Aladdin), then proceeded with the flash.

Attached are how I setup the xbox for the hotswap, the clone chip details and then my aladdin with the genuine chip installed and the clone next to it.

284688415_436856811619773_7576393105586955010_n.jpg

287226188_808969893422823_1197594854515527256_n.jpg

289046130_329199196028669_6253261409270580824_n.jpg

31 minutes ago, SpankyToot said:

Anyone else getting caught out with knockoff Aladdin's, if your SST chip is laser etched its most likely fake. Only genuine ones I've seen had printed text.

What I gather from this thread is the problem stems from the provided laser etched 49LF020A actually being a 49LF002A which has a different write protocol, making the (probably also cloned) Lattice on the Aladdin incapable of writing to it. But, You can still program it with an external programmer... if you have one.

What I managed to do was buy a new 49LF020 from Australia's favorite electronics store, Jaycar.
I then booted to the clone and hot swapped (remove the Aladdin while system was booted, swapped the SST chip and reinstalled the Aladdin), then proceeded with the flash.

Attached are how I setup the xbox for the hotswap, the clone chip details and then my aladdin with the genuine chip installed and the clone next to it.

284688415_436856811619773_7576393105586955010_n.jpg

287226188_808969893422823_1197594854515527256_n.jpg

289046130_329199196028669_6253261409270580824_n.jpg

Nano USB Programmer is all you need and are on ebay.  Alleviates the headache when odering aladdins and alike.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Donnie-Burger said:

Nano USB Programmer is all you need and are on ebay.  Alleviates the headache when odering aladdins and alike.

Thank you! I'll be ordering one of those soon just to have on hand. Couldn't find any in Aus for less than stupid prices sadly, so any time sensitive installs will be a quick trip to Jaycar.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Donnie-Burger said:

Just got a 10 pack of Aladdins delivered from China.  Un-flashable and socket is reversed for some reason.  Externally flashable just fine.

Do you have one of the older, maybe even an original, Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip?

Have you tried to install a relabeled SST49LF020A - actually an SST49LF002A/B - flash chip in it and see if Evoxdash or XBlast OS can flash it?

Edit: I'm thinking that somewhere along the way of cloning the modchip, the CPLD code developed for them dropped support for FirmWare Hub (FWH) flash memory chips, only supports LPC flash devices, since Evoxdash has code in it to recognize FWH (SST49LF002B) flash devices to write a BIOS to them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KaosEngineer said:

Do you have one of the older flashable Aladdin XT plus 2 modchips?

Have you tried to install a relabeled SST49LF020A - actually an SST49LF002A/B - flash chip in it and see if Evoxdash or XBlast OS can flash it?

Yeah non flashable - These are same ics just reversed socket.  I have the Nano and that worked as it should.  The ics have the exact same #ing as the last unflashable batch I got.

• 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Fredoias said:

So, is there anyone in the US who can flash the clone chip? I can't seem to find the programmer in stock. I would pay to just have it flashed with a good bios that will allow me to use more than 137gb of my 1tb drive. Thanks in advance. 

I can flash it for you free just pay shipping - Can flash multiples if wanted.  Same offer goes out to anyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

I found another option to the Nano USB programmer. 

I've heard that the device driver for it is not signed making it a pain to get running on Windows 10 or 11.  There are workarounds but implementing them can be a bit complex to get the Nano USB working. Disable Windows 10 or 11's requirement to only use signed device drivers. (Note: I do not own a Nano USB programmer to know for certain.)

BAD NEWS: I just read through PJRC's store web page for  the status of stock of  the Teensy 3.2 modules:  

Chips for Teensy 3.2 have been delayed until March 2023 for limited supply and June 2023 for larger quantities. 

So, no stock for a long time.  What's up with this global chip shortage?

DIY LPC Flash Programmer Solution

Teensy 3.1 SPI + LPC/FWH Flasher

Hardware: It uses a Teensy 3.1 USB-based microcontroller development system and a PLCC32 shield.  ( I don't see a listing for the 3.1 rev of the Teensy anymore. However, it should work with a Teensy 3.2. Currently out of stock for Teensy 3.2 rev modules.)

Software: flashrom serprog

Github repository for the design: 

https://github.com/urjaman/frser-teensyflash

Edit: This project was started 8 years ago and the last updates done 7 years ago.  Nothing wrong with that.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, UserFriendly said:

Just for clarity on this since I am not at all familiar with reprogramming chips. All I need is one of those Nano USB Programmer's from ebay and I will be able to reprogram the wrong chips that get sent with the fake Aladdins off Aliexpress to be able to write new bios to the chip?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I have Aladdin Advance with a genuine SST49LF020 that I replaced with a XeniumICE. The Aladdin was soldered directly to the pin header and unfortunately I lifted one of the pads on the mod chip PCB while desoldering it. I had no intention of using the mod chip again since it has no header socket and can only be installed by soldering it directly to the pin header. However I was wondering if the SST49LF020 chip would work If I put it into one of the non-flashable Aladdin's and could it then be flashed with standard Xbox apps?

14 hours ago, amak79 said:

I have Aladdin Advance with a genuine SST49LF020 that I replaced with a XeniumICE. The Aladdin was soldered directly to the pin header and unfortunately I lifted one of the pads on the mod chip PCB while desoldering it. I had no intention of using the mod chip again since it has no header socket and can only be installed by soldering it directly to the pin header. However I was wondering if the SST49LF020 chip would work If I put it into one of the non-flashable Aladdin's and could it then be flashed with standard Xbox apps?

Yes.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...