OGXbox.com

Is this a capacitor failure?

JohnnyHUN

My xbox is turning on as soon as I plug it to the wall, somebody said its because of the trace corrosion, a capacitor might leaked. I checked the motherboard and found these:

https://ibb.co/nfjRgNR
https://ibb.co/wNM2H4d

Are these corrosion due to the leaking capacitor? They are doesnt even wanna come off, I tried with toothbrush and rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs, but really hard to remove...

No, it looks like someone replaced several capacitor and did not remove the flux residue after installing them.

Leaked clock cap or PCB production contamination damage happens to 4 thin traces that run along the front edge on the bottom side of the motherboard in quadrants V5-V7 (I seem to find the damage most often in quadrant V7 shown below).

127697874_tracedamagesection7frontedgeofXboxmotherboard(solderside).thumb.jpg.d8638caa63383e957faa1afa1d47d6a0.jpg

You will find the Letter for the quadrant silkscreened on the left and right edges of the motherboard and the Number along the front and back edges of the motherboard.

2 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

They are doesnt even wanna come off, I tried with toothbrush and rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs, but really hard to remove...

I suggest obtaining specialized flux remover or a high concentration of isopropyl alcohol (91-99% IPA) instead of the standard run-of-the-mill rubbing alcohol (70% concentration IPA) to remove the burnt flux residue.

With IPA, let it soak for a minute before trying to scrub with a toothbrush then wipe off the residue.

Here's a company that sells Flux remover. I'm sure there are several other companies that make similar products: