OGXbox.com

Game files with too long of a filename

datura

Something I've noticed when copying games over is that some files with particularly long file names, such as fem_shirts_quicksilver_hoodie_logo2_d.img.xbx from Tony Hawk's Project 8, fail to transfer over. Ultimately I've never found that a game stops working when something like this happens. My question is, if these file names are too long for the Xbox filesystem, how were the textures ever loaded from the disc when playing from a DVD drive? It's something I've wondered for a while now.

I downloaded a 2 tb game pack, and I think around 5 games were told to be only playable from DVD because of the long filenames, THP8 was among them. Also there was Monster Garage, Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban , Frankie Dettori Racing and I can't remember the others. 

So probably the HDD itself (or its partition structure) has problem the long filenames and the dvd-drive or the xbox itself doesnt.

Edited by JohnnyHUN

10 hours ago, datura said:

Something I've noticed when copying games over is that some files with particularly long file names, such as fem_shirts_quicksilver_hoodie_logo2_d.img.xbx from Tony Hawk's Project 8, fail to transfer over. Ultimately I've never found that a game stops working when something like this happens. My question is, if these file names are too long for the Xbox filesystem, how were the textures ever loaded from the disc when playing from a DVD drive? It's something I've wondered for a while now.

The filesystem used on the DVD is different than the one used on the hard drive.

The DVD's filesystem supports long filenames.

• 4 months later...

I've also been afflicted by this. In some cases, I made copies of the "too long named" files. Then with the copies, I shortened the names, transferred, then once transferred, I would rename them to the correct name once on the xbox. Other times it wouldn't allow it. It was tedious and I won't do it again, I think Tony Hawks wasteland would spit back over 200 files with "Filename too long". If I really want to play one of those games I'll burn them back onto disc or something.... I'm only versed in softmods, is this a problem with hardmod's too?

People successfully edited long name files to work in HDD, but you need to edit .xbe file. I have few working games like that. Only game I don't have is desert storm 2. :)

There is a cure for this, but no proper tutorial is present.

For example, previously mentioned tony hawk's gave i have perfectly working in HDD.

1 hour ago, prtscn said:

People successfully edited long name files to work in HDD, but you need to edit .xbe file. I have few working games like that. Only game I don't have is desert storm 2. :)

There is a cure for this, but no proper tutorial is present.

For example, previously mentioned tony hawk's gave i have perfectly working in HDD.

I don't see that Conflict Desert Storm 2 has file names that are too long.  Did I miss them?