OGXbox.com

Too many hard drive problems to count

datura

I just got a 1.6 motherboard with the LPC rebuilt in the mail today, and slotted in an OpenXenium. It included the stock hard drive which unfortunately was destroyed in the shipping process. The drive I planned to upgrade it to, a 500gb SSD, had previously been in a softmodded Xbox which I completely bricked attempting to do an LPC rebuild myself, and was locked with an HDD key of all 1S thanks to Rocky5's Softmod. After installing the new drive, when I try to unlock the drive from XeniumOS it fails. When I try to format any of the partitions that too fails. When I try to boot a Hexen disc, it hangs on the Linux Xbox logo splashscreen for an infinite amount of time, with OGXboxInstaller producing the same results. I even flashed a different BIOS trying to get Hexen to boot.

So I installed the SSD into my PC to erase the drive and start over, no big deal.

Wrong.

My PC will not move past the BIOS splashscreen when this drive is plugged in. I can't even use F12 to boot a GParted USB to wipe the drive. When hotswapping the drive in after Windows has booted up, any attempts to erase it with diskpart or partition manager give me I/O errors, and GPParted too will not detect the drive after a hotswap. I can't interact with it in any way from any operating system.

As it stands, I have a modded Xbox and no way to use it. I'm not really sure where to go from here, so any help is more than appreciated.

using the hotswap method on the pc you may be able to unlock with pc tool called atapwd.  power the drive, power up the pc, run atapwd, attach drive, rescan, unlock with master password XBOXSCENE, disable with master password XBOXSCENE, or you may be able to unlock with all 1's but ive never done it that way. atapwd is on older versions of hirens boot cd also

24 minutes ago, bolofski said:

using the hotswap method on the pc you may be able to unlock with pc tool called atapwd.  power the drive, power up the pc, run atapwd, attach drive, rescan, unlock with master password XBOXSCENE, disable with master password XBOXSCENE, or you may be able to unlock with all 1's but ive never done it that way. atapwd is on older versions of hirens boot cd also

Can you provide a link to ATAPWD please? I've downloaded several versions of Hiren's boot disk and none of them have that tool

Edited by datura

You can use a patched version of smartctl.exe that includes command-line options to unlock/lock an Xbox hard drive.

This command-line application, smartctl.exe, is available in XboxHDM23USB Beta 2, Beta 3 or XboxHDM-2.3-Beta4:

They are all available from the following mediafire.com shared folder:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/gxhc0h34e14at/XboxHDM

Edit: If you have the eeprom.bin backup from your Xbox, place it in the folder where you extract one of the XBOXHDM 2.3 versions.  Start XboxHDM using the xboxhd.bat file and select the menu option to unlock or lock the hard drive.

without the eeprom.bin file, you can try using one of the known MASTER passwords for various manufacturer's hard drives. Original Xbox hard drives from Seagate:

• "Seagate                         "     

Note: That's the brand name followed by 25 space characters

or Western Digital:

• "WDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWDCWD"

or xbox-scene apps such as ConfigMagic or NKPatcher Settings which sets the password to TEAMASSEMBLY or XBOXSCENE.

• smartctl.exe -g security-unlock,"<password goes here>" /dev/sd<correct letter for your Xbox hard drive>
  • smartctl.exe -g security-disable,"<password goes here>" /dev/sd<correct letter for your Xbox hard drive>
  • Like 1