OGXbox.com

Tray will not stay closed

MarkC1970

I have just repaired a v1.1 Xbox that had a leaking clock cap that killed the ADM1032 thermal management IC.  I do not believe this second fault is related but it may be.

The Xbox started fine and ejected the disc when I pressed eject.  When I press eject again it goes back in, waits a second and ejects again, all the time the eject button is flashing green.  Additionally, if I press the tray in manually it goes in but the motor does not respond.  When the tray is out the eject button does go solid green.

I have read the clock cap leak eats traces on the front edge of the board that eject the tray function but they all bell out OK.  Any ideas?  Cheers.

Mine did the same thing and it was the band in the DVD Drive, i took it out, cleaned everything, boiled the band and tried again. Same issue. Went on ebay bought a new band for like 1$, put it in and it works perfect.

It could be clock cap ate your traces, you can use a multi-meter to test it, but id try the cheap band replacement first. Doesn't hurt to have the new band anyway.

Thank you guys.  Sorted it and we have a fully functioning old Xbox.

It was a Samsung DVD drive and on the motor PCB is the switch that senses an open or closed tray, the closed side was not working.  I took it apart, bent open the contact springs slightly and it works great now.  It sounds easy but it was the most fiddly thing I have done in ages, took me an hour to get it back together and working but it is so I am happy.

Thanks again. 😀😀😀😀😀

• Like 2