OGXbox.com

My Og XBox Won't Turn On.

Guilleack

Again with problems 🤦‍♂️ i was playing yesterday without any problems, today i tried to turn on the console and looks like it tries to turn on three times and after that it starts to blink a red and green light...  What can be the cause of this? Yesterday was working just fine, the fan was very quiet and the console didn't seem to be hot at all.

What has been done to the Xbox?

Green/Red Flashing
Problem: The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video.

Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the motherboard.

Fix: If you were doing any kind of soldering work (adding a Modchip or other type of mod) on or around your motherboard, make sure there are no solder splashes or that there are not solder bridges connecting any traces. If there are, desolder them. If you have not done any kind of modding to the unit, then its likely to be caused from a bad tsop image, or a bad chip. Try installing a Modchip to see if you can get the unit to boot. If the Xbox still gives a FRAG then it means another major component is bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

21 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

What has been done to the Xbox?

Green/Red Flashing
Problem: The Xbox will restart twice, and then flash red and green. This is known as the FRAG and can be caused by many reasons. Typically when you receive this error you will not have any video.

Possible reasons you may get this is a bad bios image, a bad bios chip, the Nvidia MCPX chip is damaged, broken/damaged traces or solder splashes on the motherboard.

Fix: If you were doing any kind of soldering work (adding a Modchip or other type of mod) on or around your motherboard, make sure there are no solder splashes or that there are not solder bridges connecting any traces. If there are, desolder them. If you have not done any kind of modding to the unit, then its likely to be caused from a bad tsop image, or a bad chip. Try installing a Modchip to see if you can get the unit to boot. If the Xbox still gives a FRAG then it means another major component is bad and the motherboard needs to be replaced.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Thanks for the reply, yes as you said i don't have video. I didn't do any kind of hard mod aside of changing the IDE cable and from what i see the motherboard doesn't looks like it has been hardmoded before, it's weird since yesterday was working just fine, it is softmoded and had some games loaded on the HDD (80 GB IDE). I will try to open it later and see if i spot any kind of damage again.

I have one that does the same, oddly if i leave it unplugged over night it's normally ok. Im going to mod chip it at some point, as its still using a soft mod installed by The previous owner. Its a 1.6 so no TSOP for this one. 

On 4/30/2020 at 10:44 PM, Guilleack said:

I tried the console today and it turned on like it was working before... I didn't do anything to it, i will try to TSOP it as soon as i can to avoid any kind of bad bios and in the case that the hdd or dvd drive die.

Flashing the BIOS while the Xbox is exhibiting intermittent  booting problems is not something I would do.

Intermittent problems are the worst to find and having worked if the electronics repair industry sometimes the customers description and the actual fault are not the same.  

It is sounding like bad caps you need to take some voltage measurement when it working and then compare the same points when it not booting .

The red wires should read 5 volt (4.8-5.2)

The orange should read around 3.3 Volt

The yellow is a 12 volt

The gray is 3.3 volt at al times (Xbox running, Xbox in standby)

The blue should have around 3 volt(2.6-3.3)

The white is approx 3 volt when the Xbox it running.

Also the version 1.2-14 power supply will not work without a load on the output supplies

Cheers

SS Dave

On 5/1/2020 at 7:39 PM, SS_Dave said:

Flashing the BIOS while the Xbox is exhibiting intermittent  booting problems is not something I would do.

Intermittent problems are the worst to find and having worked if the electronics repair industry sometimes the customers description and the actual fault are not the same.  

It is sounding like bad caps you need to take some voltage measurement when it working and then compare the same points when it not booting .

The red wires should read 5 volt (4.8-5.2)

The orange should read around 3.3 Volt

The yellow is a 12 volt

The gray is 3.3 volt at al times (Xbox running, Xbox in standby)

The blue should have around 3 volt(2.6-3.3)

The white is approx 3 volt when the Xbox it running.

Also the version 1.2-14 power supply will not work without a load on the output supplies

Cheers

SS Dave

Thanks, i know that the caps are good since i did your test and also i'm sure that the main reason the system boots rarely is that the hard drive is almost dead since sometimes it doesn't even starts to spin untill i give a tap top the top of the console.