OGXbox.com

Xbox stuck on Error code 05 when booting with mod chip.

Pezical

For some reason when I turn on the Xbox I am greeted with the error code 05 (unlocked hard drive). But I thought an unlocked hard drive was usable with a mod chip installed?

- Re-soldered the wires from the D0 point, BT point  mod chip flashed red, BT is joined to the mod chip so it is always on.

Despite all of this the Xbox boots up displaying the error code 05. and no sign of the chip working its magic.

Thanks, Pez.

What mod chip?

Try grounding the alternative D0 point on the main board as this will force the Xbox to read from the LPC port

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png

It would also help if you posted some pics of the mod chip install.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

Probably is something like that.

Error 5 is what you'd expect if the chip wasn't being enabled for some reason and you were using an unlocked HDD ie. it would be trying to boot the original MS (TSOP) BIOS which, of course, requires the HDD to be locked.

Do you have a locked HDD or eeprom backup for that machine? 

7 hours ago, HDShadow said:

Probably is something like that.

Error 5 is what you'd expect if the chip wasn't being enabled for some reason and you were using an unlocked HDD ie. it would be trying to boot the original MS (TSOP) BIOS which, of course, requires the HDD to be locked.

Do you have a locked HDD or eeprom backup for that machine? 

So the machine was owned by my cousin which was handed down to me when he grew up and it was already modded when I got the console. Which means I don't have an EEPROM backup on my pc.

But, my thought was, if the people that originally modded the console were smart enough they would have backed up the EEPROM onto the hard drive.

Is there a way I could access the hard drive on my computer and look for a backup of the EEPROM? Then if there is a backup of the EEPROM, could I potentially re-lock the hard drive using software?

Thanks, Pez.

If its unlocked you can use FATXplorer to access the content on PC - no hot-swapping required but obviously you'll need a suitable method of connecting the Xbox HDD to the PC and to install the program plus some other required stuff too.

Just Google FATXplorer for OG Xbox and you'll easily find the download and plenty of information.

4 hours ago, Pezical said:

Is there a way I could access the hard drive on my computer and look for a backup of the EEPROM? Then if there is a backup of the EEPROM, could I potentially re-lock the hard drive using software?

Yes, You can use Fatxploter v3.0 Beta

But as the Xbox has a mod chip there is no need to lock it.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

On 2/20/2022 at 12:59 PM, HDShadow said:

If its unlocked you can use FATXplorer to access the content on PC - no hot-swapping required but obviously you'll need a suitable method of connecting the Xbox HDD to the PC and to install the program plus some other required stuff too.

Just Google FATXplorer for OG Xbox and you'll easily find the download and plenty of information.

Would a IDE to USB/SATA adapter work for connecting the hard drive to the computer?

Thanks, Pez.

On 2/19/2022 at 11:24 PM, SS_Dave said:

What mod chip?

Try grounding the alternative D0 point on the main board as this will force the Xbox to read from the LPC port

901256715_D0points1.png.80389f0c81584ad40e78e0c1f54456db.png

It would also help if you posted some pics of the mod chip install.

Cheers

SS Dave

I think I found the problem:

The board tracing from the chip to the D0 solder pad seems to be disconnected. Meaning that the solder point on the D0 is useless!

Could I find a way to reconnect the D0 point to the tracing on the chip or is it useless now? 

Should I result to TSOP flashing or buy a new chip?

Thanks, Pez

4 hours ago, Pezical said:

I think I found the problem:

The board tracing from the chip to the D0 solder pad seems to be disconnected. Meaning that the solder point on the D0 is useless!

Could I find a way to reconnect the D0 point to the tracing on the chip or is it useless now? 

Should I result to TSOP flashing or buy a new chip?

Thanks, Pez

Do you mean the D0 on the mod chip.

If you ground the D0 as in the pics I posted that will force the Xbox to use the mod chip. Use the alternative spot on the bottom of the board.

Cheers

SS Dave