OGXbox.com

[WIP] Stream Movies & TV Shows on your Original Xbox!

antonic901

Hi guys. I am proud to release first version of my app for streaming movies and tv shows on Original Xbox. How this started, how this works and all informations you can find on attached file in this post or there Stream Movies & TV Shows. In attached file you also have in-detail tutorial how to setup everything. Currently you have basic funcionalities, but I have a plan throughout a year to implement much more but I don't make any promises. There are three main tasks that I have to do before anything else, and that would be:

• Implement support for Subtitles. By that I mean building addon/script for OpenSubtitles API
  • After implementing subtitles, a HUGE code refactoring and organization need to be done because currently this is a MESS that somehow works, especially frontend of PC API
  • And after code refactoring, I need to implement better algorithm for searching Movies and TV Shows
    • For TV Shows most newer series don't have problem, but old series (ex. from 2010) are packed in one torrent file which represents one season, and my current algorithm only search querys im format "name s0xe0x" which for old series return no results or return episode which have only couple seeders
    • For Movies search works good, but sometimes it gives wrong result. I will fix this in same way that Elementum addon for Kodi does. Find resulsts by name, name + year, tmdb id and imdb id, remove duplicates and sort by seeders. This seems easy but it's not.

And after everything said above is done then I will slowly try do add new funcionalities to the fronted (i.e. all HTTP comands of XBMC4Xbox)

GITHUB

From here you can download and find newer releases

IMAGES

Indroduction_Setup_Guide.pdf

Edited by antonic901
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, antonic901 said:

Hi guys. I am proud to release first version of my app for streaming movies and tv shows on Original Xbox. How this started, how this works and all informations you can find on attached file in this post or there Stream Movies & TV Shows. In attached file you also have in-detail tutorial how to setup everything. Currently you have basic funcionalities, but I have a plan throughout a year to implement much more but I don't make any promises. There are three main tasks that I have to do before anything else, and that would be:

• Implement support for Subtitles. By that I mean building addon/script for OpenSubtitles API
  • After implementing subtitles, a HUGE code refactoring and organization need to be done because currently this is a MESS that somehow works, especially frontend of PC API
  • And after code refactoring, I need to implement better algorithm for searching Movies and TV Shows
    • For TV Shows most newer series don't have problem, but old series (ex. from 2010) are packed in one torrent file which represents one season, and my current algorithm only search querys im format "name s0xe0x" which for old series return no results or return episode which have only couple seeders
    • For Movies search works good, but sometimes it gives wrong result. I will fix this in same way that Elementum addon for Kodi does. Find resulsts by name, name + year, tmdb id and imdb id, remove duplicates and sort by seeders. This seems easy but it's not.

And after everything said above is done then I will slowly try do add new funcionalities to the fronted (i.e. all HTTP comands of XBMC4Xbox)

You can find pictures on github page.

Indroduction_Setup_Guide.pdf 465.29 kB · 0 downloads

Great Job!!!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, antonic901 said:

GITHUB

IMAGES

Indroduction_Setup_Guide.pdf 465.29 kB · 2 downloads

Wow great news, thank you

• Like 1

Some guys on Facebook group had problem playing certain movies. Problem is the way how file is downloaded. Some videos are downloading from begin to start and that videos don't have problem. But some videos are downloaded in wrong order (first middle, then end, after that begging) and for that videos you need to wait to download fully complete and only after that you can play it. Qucik workaround is to use YTS releases or WEBRip releases from streaming sites like Netflix, HBO, Amazon prime etc. With this file in 80% situations you won't have problem.

For TV Shows there is no problem like with movies, because almost all series came from some streaming services. But problem with TV Shows is that my algorithm for search look only for query in format "TV_SHOW_NAME SxyExy" (i.e. The Witcher S02E03). For newer series thats not problem, but for older series is problem because most older series came in one package which contains all episodes from one season and my algorithm does not find that torrents. And if it finds torrent in given query format it will return no results or will return some torrents with low number of seeders. Currently there is no workaround, wait for me to implement new search logic for TV Shows which will look for season package and extract from it particular episode.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2022 at 9:51 PM, antonic901 said:

GITHUB

IMAGES

Indroduction_Setup_Guide.pdf 465.29 kB · 8 downloads

Is this an XBMC / KODI /clone or just a torrent player?

it’s a shame so many forks like STREMIO are not supported by Linux. 
the XBOX has got terrible bit-rate for downloading! Like I have 100gig/sec and I only get 5 meg at a push

15 hours ago, Lexieye said:

Is this an XBMC / KODI /clone or just a torrent player?

it’s a shame so many forks like STREMIO are not supported by Linux. 
the XBOX has got terrible bit-rate for downloading! Like I have 100gig/sec and I only get 5 meg at a push

I described everything in attached pdf of first post, please read it. Xbox app is script for XBMC4Xbox which uses TMDB API to fetch and show data. When you want to watch something that's where PC app kicks in. It's offers torrent search engine similar to one that is used for Elementum addon (i.e. PopCorn uses only YTS.MX, but Elemenutm use couple of providers which offers high quality videos), torrent streaming server engine (similar to WebTorrent, but I use torrent-stream which peerflix uses) and ffmpeg which convet from H.264/H.265 to 720p/H.263 which stock Xbox is capable of playing.

I'll try to explain on PopCorn Time app. PopCorn Time have to important parts: frontend and backend. Frontend is what you see when use app. When you click on Watch button, that is backend. So knowing that, you could look this app like this. Xbox app (script for XBMC4Xbox) is frontend, and PC app (PC API) is backend.

I could make all of this to work on Xbox but main problem is that 99% of video torrents uses H.264/H.265 which stock Xbox can't handle. That's the reason why PC API is necessearly, to convert to format that Xbox can play with acceptable video quality.

• Like 1

Great Work !!

But I don't think the ffmpeg transcoding is working for me. I followed your pdf guide and have installed the latest portable windows .zip on 3 different computers. I can browse using the script on xbox perfectly and it starts downloading, just never plays the final url with movies or tv shows. I have tried playing from the script and play to xbox function. Both try to play but gets no playable file from the url. If I try the URL in VLC player without "?ffmpeg=remux" at the end it will play the original downloaded file perfectly. 

Are we supposed to install ffmpeg and nodejs ? It looks like these libraries are already included in the windows portable zip

xbmc log:

(I have replaced the actual movie name with MovieTitle )

15:31:04 M: 33050624  NOTICE: DVDPlayer: Opening: http://192.168.17.95:9005/torrents/82ec7f19ff84c5cf401b6018e34da27ce8493b6f/files/MovieTitle.mkv?ffmpeg=remux
15:31:04 M: 33050624 WARNING: CDVDMessageQueue(player)::Put MSGQ_NOT_INITIALIZED
15:31:04 M: 32526336  NOTICE: Creating InputStream
15:31:04 M: 30318592   ERROR: CCurlFile::FillBuffer - Failed: Server returned nothing (no headers, no data)(52)
15:31:04 M: 30318592   ERROR: CCurlFile::CReadState::Connect, didn't get any data from stream.
15:31:04 M: 30420992   ERROR: XFILE::CFileCache::Open - failed to open source <http://192.168.17.95:9005/torrents/82ec7f19ff84c5cf401b6018e34da27ce8493b6f/files/MovieTitle.mkv?ffmpeg=remux>
15:31:04 M: 32526336   ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [http://192.168.17.95:9005/torrents/82ec7f19ff84c5cf401b6018e34da27ce8493b6f/files/MovieTitle.mkv?ffmpeg=remux]
15:31:04 M: 32526336  NOTICE: CDVDPlayer::OnExit()

Plays in VLC - http://192.168.17.95:9005/torrents/82ec7f19ff84c5cf401b6018e34da27ce8493b6f/files/MovieTitle.mkv

Does Not Play in VLC - http://192.168.17.95:9005/torrents/82ec7f19ff84c5cf401b6018e34da27ce8493b6f/files/MovieTitle.mkv?ffmpeg=remux

Thanks again, I hope this helps!

Can you tell me which movie did you try? Honesly, I didnt try on Windows. My main OS is Linux. I will try on Windows and see if there are some libs that needs to be installed separately. Node.js isn't required if streams are working on VLC and PC app is starting. From log of XBMC I would say that there are some problems with FFmpeg.

Yes, there is problem with Windows. For some reason it's not using ffmpeg.dll that came with build. I tried installing FFmpeg manually, but after that I get same error as described here Error: spawn UNKNOWN. No wonder that some people call windows "Windblows" or "Shitblows" xD On linux you need to have installed ffmpeg but most Linux distributions came preinstalled with it and on macOS you can use brew to install it. If someone can try on Windows 7/8 with ffmpeg installed and give results it could be useful. Nex two weeks I'm busy with mu studies, but after that I will investigate more on this and fix this error on Windows.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys. New updates. I posted video on YouTube to be a proof that this isn't a fake. I have also implemented new Script for searching Subtitles but it's on develpoment branch and currently not ready for use. You can expect new update around middle of april.

This is a small recap of stuffs I've done in the past few days:

• Refactored PC frontend
  • Refactored PC backend
  • Buffering of video file
  • Script for searching subtitles (currently only OpenSubtitles are supported)

Important things that have to be done in future:

• Implementation of moving 'MOOV ATOM' to beggining of video file (this will fix torrents that won't play unless they are downloaded 100%)
  • Settings GUI for Subtitles script
  • Searching TV Show torrents that represents whole season and extracting one particular episode (this will fix problem of seeders for older tv shows)
  • Implementation of new TPB API scraping algorithm because current that I've used is offline
  • 64MB Xbox optimisation (if possible)

And last word, I have bad news for 64MB xboxes users. This script works fine in 64MB, but if you want to start playback of movie it will freeze Xbox if it's under 10MB usage of memory. XBMC4Xbox takes about ~28MB of RAM, XBMC4Xbox playback (DVDPlayer/Mplayer) takes about ~15MB which and when you open main page of this Script it takes about ~8MB. That leaves only about ~15MB for this script, and opening only two new Windows leaves almost without memory (between 0 and 1MB), and in most cases Xbox will freeze. I hope that @Rocky5 or developer of XBMC4Xbox BuZZ can hive some hints how can I reduce usage of memory. Another aproach would be plugin, but then we won't have this fancy UI.

Thanks. I have plans to create YouTube in some future, but that will be pain in the ass because official Kodi YT addon is very difficult to get working. You need personal access token and some keys. But I don't know when I will create that plugin, my next big project will be Skin for XBMC4Xbox which will try to replicate Xbox Series X/S UI-a.

2 hours ago, antonic901 said:

Thanks. I have plans to create YouTube in some future, but that will be pain in the ass because official Kodi YT addon is very difficult to get working. You need personal access token and some keys. But I don't know when I will create that plugin, my next big project will be Skin for XBMC4Xbox which will try to replicate Xbox Series X/S UI-a.

Oh ya the tokens are a pain, I just gave up on youtube through kodi and use the built in app on roku now. I don't know how https://invidious.io/ works but maybe easier to do a front end for that and/or use a pc w/ ffmpeg like you are already doing?

39 minutes ago, dust08 said:

Oh ya the tokens are a pain, I just gave up on youtube through kodi and use the built in app on roku now. I don't know how https://invidious.io/ works but maybe easier to do a front end for that and/or use a pc w/ ffmpeg like you are already doing?

I had plans to use PyExtractor. It's Java project that is basically Unofficial YouTube API. They impemented parsing of YT HTML pages and extracting data of interest from them (i.e. link of clip, number of likes, comments etc.). If I'm not mistaken this "invidious" API is something similar? If they can return me url for videos, I can make this to work. Also if I have option to select video quality, i would hardcoded it 240p/360p and we can bypass need of PC API with ffmpeg? It could be xbox-only plugin.

2 hours ago, antonic901 said:

I had plans to use PyExtractor. It's Java project that is basically Unofficial YouTube API. They impemented parsing of YT HTML pages and extracting data of interest from them (i.e. link of clip, number of likes, comments etc.). If I'm not mistaken this "invidious" API is something similar? If they can return me url for videos, I can make this to work. Also if I have option to select video quality, i would hardcoded it 240p/360p and we can bypass need of PC API with ffmpeg? It could be xbox-only plugin.

Invidious has a number of different servers and gives full download capability I use it on slower machines if I don't want to just use youtube dl here's an example: https://vid.puffyan.us/watch?v=EGHyDuPG1ks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys. I've released new version of my app. More info on: v0.0.2 Here are some changes:

XBOX:

• Added additional Dialogs which indicates what is currently happening
  • Buffering file before playing
  • You can now play every torrent file (even files which have 'moov atom' at the end)
  • Created scripts for searching and downloading Subtitles (currently only OpenSubtitles are supported)

PC:

• Refactored frontend
  • Added ability to first download 'moov atom' if it's at the end of video file
  • Searching algorithm now finds torrents that represents whole Season of some TV Show
  • Extracting and downloading only files of interest (i.e. one episode from season pack)

I would like to say something more about Subtiltes addons. First of all, there are two addons:

• OpenSubtitles (OS) - this addon is actually OpenSubtiltes_OSD addon that I've found on OGXbox Installer 2021. I removed Sublight and Podnapisi services because they did not work. I've refactored code and fixed bug when extracting subtitles. This addon use old OpenSubtitles API which doesn't require OS account and also you don't have download limit. It also can extract search query from file name. I suggest you to use this addon.
  • Subtitles - This addon is addon that I've wrote from scratch. I have plans to support as many services as I can but currently only supported is OpenSubtitles (OS). This addon is using newer, OpenSubtitles REST API but have some limitations. You must enter your username and password from OS account and also you need to generate OpenSubtitles API KEY. It's not hard, just go to your profile and generate one and type it in addon settings. This addon is using TMDB or IMDB id for seraching subtitles. Currently it can't extract search query from file name. In other word, if you are playing file from HDD (not using my Stream Movies & TV Shows addon) you have to manually enter search query. I one more limitation is that you have download limit depending on your account status. If it's free account than you can download 20 subtitles pre 24 hour or if you are VIP account than you have limit od 1000 downloads per 24h.

One more thing about subtitles. In Confluence Lite skin you must go to Skin Settings and select one of this two Subtitles scripts You do that by navigating to System -> Settings -> Skin -> Addon Shortcuts -> Video OSD -> Subtitles Scripts and selecting default.py file from addon. When you go to Configure you will open settings of subtitle addon that you have selected.

Next that I will do is refactoring of PC API. And after that I will slowly add new funcionalities throughout a year. But most important things are done. You can browse TMDB database, find streams, watch movies and tv shows and serch and download subtitles for them. Cheers!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! saw this pop up in my feed:

Looks like people are starting to use the Invidious api, would love to see this in xbmc!

Also @antonic901 you might want to shoot your app to Michael MJD, not sure if he would cover it or not but, if he did it could get some more eyes on your awesome work!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I will try to get in contact with him.

Later this year I have plans to create YouTube for XBMC. I also have some plans to create new custom skin based on Xbox Series S/X UI and to be integrated with TMDB, IGDB and maybe integrated with YT. But we'll see, this streaming app was also some idea witch came true :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2022 at 4:51 PM, antonic901 said:

GITHUB

IMAGES

Indroduction_Setup_Guide.pdf 465.29 kB · 26 downloads

My dude, you're a champ for the work you're putting into this. So much of life is mainly streaming now, even if it's something as simple as YouTube. Loving your app here, & super excited for your work on a YT app when you get the chance.

Keep it up! You're doing great!

• Like 1