OGXbox.com

Cerbios new xbox bios

ShinGoutetsu

2 hours ago, Maverick923 said:

I was able to flash the updated bios with the 256kb UDMA 5 and I am using the Chinese IDE to Sata adapter. That went fine. I ran bios checker to verify the bios. While I did not see the bios because it is unknown, I did see the bios chip which is the Hynix Hy29f080. I think this is a 1mb bios chip. I went with the 256kb bios to be on the safe side because I was not sure. Does it matter that I did not use the 1mb version?

No, a majority of the Xbox BIOSes are only 256KBs.  The flash on v1.0 and v1.1 motherboards is 1MB in size and holds 4 copies of the BIOS.

Later revisions of the motherboard use a 256KB flash instead of a 1MB chip.  This device holds only 1 copy of the BIOS.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone else used these BIOSs with a SSHD?  I have a couple, pulled from notebooks.  A first gen Seagate Momentus XT 500GB and a later 500GB Seagate ST500LM000 that is apparently Seagate's 3rd gen SSHD. They are really snappy hard drives and also quiet.    But they seem to be prone to freezing with Cerbios UDMA 4 or 5.  I had Burnout lock up within a few minutes and Goldeneye Rogue Agent in maybe 30 mins.

Running with M8+ is trouble free.

12 hours ago, Dempsey_86 said:

Are you running your games in xiso or folder rip? I can say the xiso of these games run without problems on cerbios. 
I have no sshd laying around to test it with cerbios. 

XISO.  I think it might be a problem specific to these Seagate notebook style SSHDs. 

2 hours ago, puntja said:

what is the latest version of cerbios and does it work flawlessly on 1.6 xbox? I can't find an official github or something like that

I have cerbios 2.2.1 beta in use on 2 Version 1.6's one has a startech sata2ide using the UDMA5 and the other is a cheap sata2ide using the UDMA4

The one with the cheap sata2ide was using the EvoxM8 and I noticed a quicker boot with the cerbios.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

6 hours ago, puntja said:

I can't find an official github or something like that

There is no official github. They have a set of 4 channels on the XBOX-SCENE Discord server: #cerbios-general, #cerbios-test-report, #cerbios-requests and #xmv-anims. The BIOS files are officially distributed through xbins.org's FTP server.  Also, check the forum thread you are currently reading and this one [DL] Cerbios BIOS Mirror [Updated] for posts about the latest release and downloading them from other file-sharing websites.

I did some more testing with my 128MB Xbox 1.0 and its freezes at UDMA5 with Cerbios.   I have a spare SSD so I thought I might try that.  It freezes in the same way as the SSHDs. I can't finish a single lap in Burnout 1 before it locks up.

I also tried one of my generic Chinese SATA adapters (I think these use a Jmicron chip instead of Marvell) and one of them did seem to work ok at UDMA5 but it too eventually froze in Burnout 1.

Then I had the idea to try Evox M8+ Titan UDMA5 and to my surprise it did not freeze. I played Burnout for awhile without trouble.  The question though is it really at UDMA5?  I don't know of a way to verify that.  And since these BIOSs lack IGR they are rather unappealing anyway.

In general though the SSD, even at UDMA2, is quite nice. The silence is great, but it also has some noticeable benefits for dashboard performance. Scanning games with XBMC-Emustation is faster for example. I'm sure that's the SSD near-zero seek time in action.

Edited by tiertop

3 hours ago, tiertop said:

And since these BIOSs lack IGR they are rather unappealing anyway.

The Cerbios supports IGR 

; IGR Master Port,  0 to 4, 0 = All Ports
IGRMasterPort = 0

; A = 0, B = 1, X = 2, Y = 3, BLACK = 4, WHITE = 5, LEFT_TRIGGER = 6, RIGHT_TRIGGER = 7
; DPAD_UP = 8, DPAD_DOWN = 9, DPAD_LEFT = A, DPAD_RIGHT = B, START = C, BACK = D, LEFT_THUMB = E, RIGHT_THUMB = F

; IGR Dash Combo, Resets back to dashboard, If ISO is mounted then keep it mounted as 😧
IGRDash = 67CD

; IGR Game Combo, Resets the current loaded game
IGRGame = 467C

; IGR Full Combo, Full system reset
IGRFull = 467D

; IGS Shutdown Combo, Full system shutdown
IGRShutdown = 678D

Have you put the cerbios.ini on the root of C drive? maybe that some of the issue you are having.

Cheers

SS Dave

Soft modding is like masturbating, It gets the job done but it's nothing like the real thing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SS_Dave said:

The Cerbios supports IGR 

; IGR Master Port,  0 to 4, 0 = All Ports
IGRMasterPort = 0

; A = 0, B = 1, X = 2, Y = 3, BLACK = 4, WHITE = 5, LEFT_TRIGGER = 6, RIGHT_TRIGGER = 7
; DPAD_UP = 8, DPAD_DOWN = 9, DPAD_LEFT = A, DPAD_RIGHT = B, START = C, BACK = D, LEFT_THUMB = E, RIGHT_THUMB = F

; IGR Dash Combo, Resets back to dashboard, If ISO is mounted then keep it mounted as 😧
IGRDash = 67CD

; IGR Game Combo, Resets the current loaded game
IGRGame = 467C

; IGR Full Combo, Full system reset
IGRFull = 467D

; IGS Shutdown Combo, Full system shutdown
IGRShutdown = 678D

Have you put the cerbios.ini on the root of C drive? maybe that some of the issue you are having.

Cheers

SS Dave

Sorry I meant EvoX M8+ Titan edition doesn't have IGR. CerBIOS does of course.

Yeah I have the CerBIOS.ini on C and with default settings aside from the  dashboard to load.

I found the XboxScene Discord with Cerbios sub forums and read through some UDMA5 discussion on there. They had some similar problems and mostly recommend just not using UDMA5.  I think using a regular hard drive is the surest way to success. Less bus traffic with a slower HDD probably helps keep things stable.

Edited by tiertop

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/17/2023 at 12:55 PM, tiertop said:

I did some more testing with my 128MB Xbox 1.0 and its freezes at UDMA5 with Cerbios.   I have a spare SSD so I thought I might try that.  It freezes in the same way as the SSHDs. I can't finish a single lap in Burnout 1 before it locks up.

I also tried one of my generic Chinese SATA adapters (I think these use a Jmicron chip instead of Marvell) and one of them did seem to work ok at UDMA5 but it too eventually froze in Burnout 1.

Then I had the idea to try Evox M8+ Titan UDMA5 and to my surprise it did not freeze. I played Burnout for awhile without trouble.  The question though is it really at UDMA5?  I don't know of a way to verify that.  And since these BIOSs lack IGR they are rather unappealing anyway.

In general though the SSD, even at UDMA2, is quite nice. The silence is great, but it also has some noticeable benefits for dashboard performance. Scanning games with XBMC-Emustation is faster for example. I'm sure that's the SSD near-zero seek time in action.

I actually like HDD noise a LOT. I had the idea to build a mount with a stereo pair of old (i.e. noisy) HDDs to supply wide noise and help me sleep at night. I would have to come up with a way to simulate activity and get the Hard Drive clicking going. :)

Thanks to the Cerbios team for keeping us moving forward with new features/updates. 

Imagine what we would of had if MakeMHZ had worked with the Cerbios team instead of completely dismissing it.

Cerbios backed by Stellar could of been the final Xbox bios/chip combo ever needed. 

We can still hope that this happens eventually.......... cant we?????? :)

• Like 7

5 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

Thanks to the Cerbios team for keeping us moving forward with new features/updates. 

Imagine what we would of had if MakeMHZ had worked with the Cerbios team instead of completely dismissing it.

Cerbios backed by Stellar could of been the final Xbox bios/chip combo ever needed. 

We can still hope that this happens eventually.......... cant we?????? :)

Seconded, nikey. These are my exact thoughts. What a gigantic missed opportunity this is for MakeMHZ... And, really, for all of us.

So this release seems to center around the addition of UDMA 6, over 5. Cool. I can't wait to try this on my box when I get home. Thank you team. You're amazing.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, amak79 said:

I use custom IGR combos. Do I now need to modify each release with Cerbios Tool?

I think the tool configures the ini file, so if you use your old ini file theoretically you should be good. Correct me if I'm wrong? Maybe there are new lines and entries in the file now...

I tested the 2.3.0 Beta release and unfortunately the IGR entries have been removed from the cerbios.ini file and are no longer recognized. This is confirmed by the the Cerbios Tool readme file:

IGR combos are now only set in bios using Cerbios Tool. They will be ignored if found inside the cerbios.ini file.

I guess I'll just have to adapt to the default IGR combos.

Edited by amak79

54 minutes ago, amak79 said:

I tested the 2.3.0 Beta release and unfortunately the IGR entries have been removed from the cerbios.ini file and are no longer recognized. This is confirmed by the the Cerbios Tool readme file:

I guess I'll just have to adapt to the default IGR combos.

You can't make everyone happy.

Why not use the configuration program and edit the IGR to what you prefer.

Cheers

SS Dave

24 minutes ago, SS_Dave said:

Why not use the configuration program and edit the IGR to what you prefer.

I could, but I would need to do it for every release. It's a minor issue. I just thought it was a little step backwards. The Cerbios team probably had a valid reason for removing IGR configuration from the ini file.