OGXbox.com

Cerbios new xbox bios

ShinGoutetsu

50 minutes ago, Dempsey_86 said:

I also asked him in his discord server and got an hard NO. 

To answer the question witch one is better? Nobody knows at the moment, but I have a feeling it will be cci. This runs on stock hardware, cso doesn't. it needs the extra hardware on the stellar chip to run. So if you can pair cci with stellar that would be massive. But he said NO...

I believe he has said in the past that he will not be supporting Cerbios as it is made using a hacked original bios which is copyright material owned by Microsoft. I can get that but when EVERY single bios ever released has been based of that original hacked bios it seems a little bit of a pointless crusade in 2023. If he wants Project Stellar to become the defacto modchip that people will turn to then he needs to support as much as possible imo. 

I does also make me think about the touted possibility or running bioses via the SD card mounted on Stellar. If he hates the old style hacked bioses so much then why would he allow loading of EvoX, iND or even Cerbios from the SD card. IF that does work and we can load a bios from the SD then CCI support will be easy as its baked in to Cerbios. The trade off would be losing whatever extra features that Stellar allows when using its own "NON" copyright infringing bios. Whether that becomes an issue or not for most people depends on what those said Stellar only features are. 

I was all in on getting a couple of Stellars but now I am firmly on the fence until they have been released and people have had a chance to evaluate if they really are as game changing as MakeMHZ claims or not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I believe he has said in the past that he will not be supporting Cerbios as it is made using a hacked original bios which is copyright material owned by Microsoft. I can get that but when EVERY single bios ever released has been based of that original hacked bios it seems a little bit of a pointless crusade in 2023. If he wants Project Stellar to become the defacto modchip that people will turn to then he needs to support as much as possible imo. 

I does also make me think about the touted possibility or running bioses via the SD card mounted on Stellar. If he hates the old style hacked bioses so much then why would he allow loading of EvoX, iND or even Cerbios from the SD card. IF that does work and we can load a bios from the SD then CCI support will be easy as its baked in to Cerbios. The trade off would be losing whatever extra features that Stellar allows when using its own "NON" copyright infringing bios. Whether that becomes an issue or not for most people depends on what those said Stellar only features are. 

I was all in on getting a couple of Stellars but now I am firmly on the fence until they have been released and people have had a chance to evaluate if they really are as game changing as MakeMHZ claims or not.

I totally agree with you.
Using the word illegal is just an easy way to lockout other devs. By doing this you force people to use your hardware and software (like apple do). He just blocks everything that comes from someone else. If it comes from another dev, its bad and illegal.
mind you: he did this also with the hdmi HD+ kit, you must use M8 bios, but that bios is as illegal as all other scene released bioses.

eg CCI is not illegal, it’s just an evolution of CSO and cci is made as proof of concept from the dev that made Repackinator and Team Cerbios implemented this to their bios.
The dev of Repackinator even reaches his hand multiple times to Dustin to add CSO support to his tool, he also got a hard NO
But the stellar is as illegal as all the other bioses, or he must disable the ability to play original games (altering a consoles bios to play backups is illegal in lots of countries in the world)

Stellar will be using bits of the original kernel to work
Quote from Dustin on the makemhz discord:

“Stellar is still using a larger part of the kernel than what's actually re-implemented. I can toggle in the build system what's used and what's not. Right now mostly only functions that need to be re-implemented are enabled. The same logic, even from a perfect re-implementation, can cause bugs that are very hard to track down without a in-depth review of the assembly before hand (which I've deferred to later for the sake of time).”

If he made stellar and the hdmi HD+ an open platform it would be so much better for the community. The way it’s going now, you wil split the community in 2. If you build your HDD for stellar compressed games you can’t switch to Cerbios and the other way around

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bobilix said:

Hi, even with the 2.2.0 Beta version, the problem that on xbox ver.  1.6 with original Xbox RGB cable nothing is seen on the screen, only audio…

I'm sure they will fix that. Seems there are some minor video output bugs on the 1.6 xbox (other people reported this already on the team cerbios discord room on the xbox-sceneserver). Thats also the reason why the bios has beta in the name. They just did a monster update with CCI, just have a little patience 🙂.

• Like 2

@nikeymikey cut the guy some slack. He is trying to run a legitimate company. He is running the risk of being sued by MS and loosing a shitload of money on lawsuits. The bios is copyright protected and might even contain MS IP, so at some point they have to protect it even after 23 years. So I can imagine he wants to steer clear of hacked bioses.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, coldasijs said:

@nikeymikey cut the guy some slack. He is trying to run a legitimate company. He is running the risk of being sued by MS and loosing a shitload of money on lawsuits. The bios is copyright protected and might even contain MS IP, so at some point they have to protect it even after 23 years. So I can imagine he wants to steer clear of hacked bioses.

That's insane, the og xbox is loooong dead in MS opinion. They are not going to waste time and money chasing after someone who is doing something to keep a 20 year old console alive. If that was the case they would be taking down websites left right and centre as their bioses are literally posted all over the place. I mean we have many different versions posted on this very site. I believe it was Bill Gates himself who said he was very impressed at what modders had done with the OG a few years back. 

Fingers crossed Stellar will support booting Cerbios from the SD card which will then enable CCI support by default. That will probably be the only way and by doing that we will probably lose most of Stellars new features. 

Hopefully someone with a bit of pull in the scene can convince MakeMhz that its a bad idea to split the already small scene in 2 and that by supporting as much as possible he will open up his product to more customers.  He doesn't even need to support Cerbios if he is so against it, repackinator is open source and everything he needs just to add CCI support to his custom Stellar bios is right there. 

• Like 4

At this moment I have a softmodded 1.4 console (Rocky5's softmod put on a fresh locked HDD with Xboxhdm2) and I'm thinking of installing Cerbios. Is it just easy as bridging the unlock point on the board and use Xblast to flash Cerbios to the TSOP?

Can I keep the existing softmodded hard disk with the UnleashX dashboard, games and saves on it? Or do I need to reformat the drive or remove the softmod after flashing?

And if I want to replace the hard disk with a larger one in the future, I still use Chimp to clone it and not needing to lock it after?

5 minutes ago, Megoosa said:

At this moment I have a softmodded 1.4 console (Rocky5's softmod put on a fresh locked HDD with Xboxhdm2) and I'm thinking of installing Cerbios. Is it just easy as bridging the unlock point on the board and use Xblast to flash Cerbios to the TSOP?

I wouldn't say it's a stroll in the park, but in a nutshell, that's pretty much the process.

Can I keep the existing softmodded hard disk with the UnleashX dashboard, games and saves on it? Or do I need to reformat the drive or remove the softmod after flashing?

You will need to keep the softmod files as is. Nothing you need to change with that and please DO NOT attempt to remove the softmod after flashing the TSOP. 

And if I want to replace the hard disk with a larger one in the future, I still use Chimp to clone it and not needing to lock it after?

Chimp is outdated and can be unreliable. Todays standard is Fatxplorer Beta to build drives from scratch. This process is only for hard modded consoles though, if I’m not mistaken. 

2 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

You will need to keep the softmod files as is. Nothing you need to change with that and please DO NOT attempt to remove the softmod after flashing the TSOP. 

Chimp is outdated and can be unreliable. Todays standard is Fatxplorer Beta to build drives from scratch. This process is only for hard modded consoles though, if I’m not mistaken. 

Well, if he flashes the TSOP and don't remove the softmod, he end up with a black screen. So, at least he would need to setup C&E to get rid of the softmod.

Really? I don’t recall ever bothering to remove the soft mod or any files after flashing them. I just pop in a disc, load a dash, and move on. Anyway, I was mainly recommending that he didn’t mess with the files anymore in order to eliminate the risk of another crash. 

Edited by MadMartigan

3 hours ago, Megoosa said:

Or do I need to reformat the drive or remove the softmod after flashing? 

To clarify my previous response: 

If you reformat the drive “after” you flash, then you will of course lose everything and have to start from scratch again. So whatever games you’ve got stored, will need to be transferred back. 

Edited by MadMartigan

The softmod and hardmod didn't play nicely with each other.

How ever, he can keep all his games on F & G even he setup C & E from scratch. 2 ways he can do it.

1: Using the OGXBox Installer which offer the option to just setup C & E or just C or just E. The other partitions will not be touched. :)

2: He uses FatXplorer and setup C&E on the PC.

And reformating the old drive is also not necessary.

• Like 1

Ok, so I need te reformat/setup at least the C and E drive after flashing Cerbios to remove the softmod because otherwise it will crash with a black screen. Games are on F so I should not need te retransfer them. And, I've read Cerbios needs a C:\Cerbios.ini. Can it boot without it and create one itself or do I need to place it there first?

And how about my save files? These are so far I know stored in E:\udata. Can I just copy them over FTP and back after formatting? Will all the save files keep working? As I remember, some save files are locked to the console and disc?

The DVD drive in the console is not 100% working anymore, so I can't rely on the option to use a setup disc. If I'm correct, the alternative option is to use FatXplorer on a PC? Does this software include a dashboard and the additional MS Dash as a application (needed for Insignia) after formatting/setting up?

P.s. I am a "she/her".

Edited by Megoosa

15 minutes ago, Megoosa said:

Ok, so I need te reformat/setup at least the C and E drive after flashing Cerbios to remove the softmod because otherwise it will crash with a black screen. Games are on F so I should not need te retransfer them. And, I've read Cerbios needs a C:\Cerbios.ini. Can it boot without it and create one itself or do I need to place it there first?

And how about my save files? These are so far I know stored in E:\udata. Can I just copy them over FTP and back after formatting? Will all the save files keep working? As I remember, some save files are locked to the console and disc?

The DVD drive in the console is not 100% working anymore, so I can't rely on the option to use a setup disc. If I'm correct, the alternative option is to use FatXplorer on a PC? Does this software include a dashboard and the additional MS Dash as a application (needed for Insignia) after formatting/setting up?

P.s. I am a "she/her".

Yes, You should ALWAYS remove a softmod after hardmodding a console, either TSOP or Modchip. That was bad info given to you earlier. 

Yes use the installer disc to install a clean C & E or if the drive is failing then you can use FTP to transfer them across. There is a link below to a clean C&E. E is just 2 empty data folders. If you transfer your saved games via FTP to your pc you can keep a backup of them and also transfer them back to your console at any point. 

If you transfer the clean C&E files across, then transfer your saved games back and make sure you have reinstalled your required dashboard in E BEFORE rebooting the console, then you should be good to go. If I were you I would make sure I have a bootable dashboard in my F drive and make sure that its bootable by the TSOP.  JUST IN CASE!!! 

https://www.mediafire.com/file/95s2c0tf8873dyb/Clean_C_and_E_Files_for_Xbox.7z/file

Shout to @KaosEngineer for the link!

I’m very Sorry for giving “bad info”. I’ve literally never done that once and not run into an issue. Surely I’m not the only one here. Maybe it’s done in the background? I also looked up several videos just out of curiosity and not one of them said anything about removing it, but that doesn’t make them right. 

1 hour ago, MadMartigan said:

I’m very Sorry for giving “bad info”. I’ve literally never done that once and not run into an issue. Surely I’m not the only one here. Maybe it’s done in the background? I also looked up several videos just out of curiosity and not one of them said anything about removing it, but that doesn’t make them right. 

Lol no worries dude. 

It is a bad thing to have both a hard mod and a softmod at the same time. They do not play nicely together :) 

If you sold any of those consoles on then it might be a heads up to inform the buyer they may need to remove the softmod, but thats up to you :)

Edited by nikeymikey

At this moment it seem like the standard UnleashX dashboard from Rocky5's softmod is in C:\Dashboard\Default.xbe.

The MS Dashboardinstalled afterwards is in E:\Applications\MSDash\Default.xbe

What the C:\xboxdash.xbe is, I don't know. Because now it still has the stock BIOS but boots to UnleashX, I think it's somehow a loader program?

But if I install the clean C and E files after flashing Cerbios, then the C:\xboxdash.xbe will be MS Dashboard I suppose? So Cerbios will boot that?

With installing a dashboard in E:\, I suppose it's just extracting the (UnleashX) .xbe in the correct location? In what location does Cerbios look for a dashboard if no cerbios.ini is found?

Edited by Megoosa

2 hours ago, Megoosa said:

It seem like Xblast OS gives "Unknown device" in the flash menu, cannot flash anything. The board has a Winbond TSOP. Is this a sign that the solder bridges are not ok?

Copy your bios.bin file to : C:\Bios\     (Pay attention that you have at least 256kb free space on C:\ and that the bios has this files size after you copied it! (Sometimes with the softmod you simply have not enough free space!))

Copy Xblast.xbe to E\Apps\Xblast\  (Or somewhere else on E:\

Launch the xblast.xbe. Do not pay attention to what xblast say in the main screen. Go to flash menu and flash your Winbond.

E:  Your TSOP points are ok? Have you test them with a multimeter?

Edited by sweetdarkdestiny
  • Like 1

Oh, the forum was offline for some time :- o

The TSOP is flashed now. There were 2 problems. First one was the shadowC of the softmod. It was only possible to FTP the bios to the real C:\ after starting NKpatch settings program.

Second one was a bad solder point (I'm not good at soldering things this tiny). In another topic I saw there are alternative points on the bottom side, I used these to check with the multimeter and one of the points was not connected. After resoldering, Xblast flashes fine.

It automatically restarted after flashing and the Cerbios screen was shown. Then... stuck at a black screen, which should be the here mentioned incompatibility of Cerbios+softmod.

I created a fresh HDD with FatXplorer and copied the clean files to it. Then copied UnleashX to C:\UnleashX\default.xbe. Also copied the cerbios.ini to C:\ (is not created automatically after first boot) and edited it to start UnleashX. Now it's working fine.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...