OGXbox.com

Cerbios new xbox bios

ShinGoutetsu

How to flash this?  Sorry, too many years ago. 

V1.1 with Xecuter2.  Size uknown.

Current, bad 250GB drive, barely works, only have 5TB with SATA Adpter, but after Slayer install no working properyly.  Old drive can still wirte to C\, but F&G accessing, drive clicking.

Type, LPC based (SST 49LF020) -> Bios Xecuter2 4983.67,

Question -> Which Cerbios size to use and how to flash?  I can still transfer files to C:\, modify evox.ini to auto add items.

Thankyou, sorry for poor english.

P.S

Slayer boot disk boot up, OGinstaller2022, will not boot up.

More info, OGinstaller boot up, round about way.  Says chip protected?  Hardwired mod.

Edited by js28194

6 hours ago, js28194 said:

How to flash this?  Sorry, too many years ago. 

V1.1 with Xecuter2.  Size uknown.

Current, bad 250GB drive, barely works, only have 5TB with SATA Adpter, but after Slayer install no working properyly.  Old drive can still wirte to C\, but F&G accessing, drive clicking.

Type, LPC based (SST 49LF020) -> Bios Xecuter2 4983.67,

Question -> Which Cerbios size to use and how to flash?  I can still transfer files to C:\, modify evox.ini to auto add items.

Thankyou, sorry for poor english.

P.S

Slayer boot disk boot up, OGinstaller2022, will not boot up.

More info, OGinstaller boot up, round about way.  Says chip protected?  Hardwired mod.

Which Xecuter 2 modchip do you have?  Does it have an external switch board connected to it?  If so, change the position of the Protect switch to disable flash protection.

41 minutes ago, js28194 said:

Unsupported it says.

Yeah, I know.

It just doesn't recognize the modchip, as that particular chip isn't in the list of modchips that XBlast OS stores in this switch code:

https://bitbucket.org/psyko_chewbacca/lpcmod_os/src/b2b9fbb4dd43216acc936bee250029dee2492376/xblast/HardwareIdentifier.c?at=master#lines-185:210

My suggestion is to ignore it and flash anyway.

"This modchip isn't recognized."

4 hours ago, js28194 said:

image_50.jpg

It's one of the many Cheapmod-based modchips, not an Xecuter 2. 

It says Xecuter2 under the big X logo on startup since that's the modified BIOS installed/stored in the flash memory chip.

I'm not sure why when you try to flash it, you are told it is write-protected. However, this particular PCB layout may not have the flash memory chip set to be writeable.

4 hours ago, js28194 said:

Question is how to flash?  What .xbe on xbox?  Old drive C:\ partition still worky and can transfer.

Evox dash or XBlast OS can/should be able to flash this cheapmod-style modchip. 

4 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

I'm not sure why when you try to flash it, you are told it is write-protected. However, this particular PCB layout may not have the flash memory chip set to be writeable.

It's an "Apple-X" v1.0 or 1.1, depenig on the version of XBox (Apple-X v2.0 could also be possible which works on both 1.0/1.1. Not to sure though whats the difference between those 3 revisions). 

The chip it self shlould be flashable right away since it didn't has a write enable/disable option. ;) 

1 hour ago, nikeymikey said:

Back on topic lol..

I asked MakeMhz if Project Stella would ever support CCI files. 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.57eb73baa5450cdd0676d0cbf4c2a181.jpg

So which is best, CCI or CSO? 

Both formats will compress files to more or less equal amount, because it targets dummy files - filler.

CCI is recent in house file format. CSO is more known format.

CCI has tailored toos to convert xbox's DVD5 and DVD9 iso dumps to CCI format, which is a key factor.

Back on topic lol..

I asked MakeMhz if Project Stella would ever support CCI files. 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.57eb73baa5450cdd0676d0cbf4c2a181.jpg

So which is best, CCI or CSO? 

I guess it depends on the metric measured? You can't run CSO on an xbox without extra hardware. CCI will run on my TSOP boxes just fine. There also can't be any real performance comparisons until Stellar launches. Hard to call anything better than the other. I like the free route personally lol.

Just because CerBios Compressed ISO is a new standard, doesn't make it less a standard.

https://fileinfo.com/extension/cci#cerbios_compressed_iso

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:CerBios_Compressed_ISO

It is also open source. You can view the source on the github. Not sure how CCI is any different?

https://github.com/Team-Resurgent/Repackinator

Edited by zatchbot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zatchbot said:

I guess it depends on the metric measured? You can't run CSO on an xbox without extra hardware. CCI will run on my TSOP boxes just fine. There also can't be any real performance comparisons until Stellar launches. Hard to call anything better than the other. I like the free route personally lol.

Just because CerBios Compressed ISO is a new standard, doesn't make it less a standard.

https://fileinfo.com/extension/cci#cerbios_compressed_iso

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft:CerBios_Compressed_ISO

It is also open source. You can view the source on the github. Not sure how CCI is any different?

https://github.com/Team-Resurgent/Repackinator

Do things like DLC and Updates work with CSO files? 

On a sidenote, CCI's work on Xemu with Cerbios, I expected it would but its nice to confirm it lol 

• Like 3

Do things like DLC and Updates work with CSO files? 

On a sidenote, CCI's work on Xemu with Cerbios, I expected it would but its nice to confirm it lol 

No one, other than MakeMHZ, knows what issues CSO may or may not have because it isn't released yet. I have heard there are issues with some Title Updates that cause DLC and Insignia issues using certain ISO loading methods. Until there is any documentation, or product to test, we can only speculate what problems a closed source project like Stellar may have.

Cci on the other, hand is actively being tested with Insignia and DLC by the DLC wizard Harcroft lol. I also have been on Insignia using CCI, but I feel Harcroft is more versed in this topic.

Screenshot_20230110_141631_Discord.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zatchbot said:

No one, other than MakeMHZ, knows what issues CSO may or may not have because it isn't released yet. I have heard there are issues with some Title Updates that cause DLC and Insignia issues using certain ISO loading methods. Until there is any documentation, or product to test, we can only speculate what problems a closed source project like Stellar may have.

Cci on the other, hand is actively being tested with Insignia and DLC by the DLC wizard Harcroft lol. I also have been on Insignia using CCI, but I feel Harcroft is more versed in this topic.

Screenshot_20230110_141631_Discord.jpg

I don't get why MakeMhz is so against supporting it, surely it adds another bow to the string for Stellar. Its a shame that there will be another pointless division in this already small community. 

I guess it's just wait and see on CSO/Stellar and the benefits/features it may/may not bring.

• Like 1

The format of CCI means they can add extra data, without breaking legacy readers and new readers would be able to use that data. Another benefit is its index table is later in file, meaning it can dynamically split into two halves. And since it uses LZ4, not so much code is needed to decompress, which gives you more space for other features in bios. And also LZ4 is faster to decompress.

15 hours ago, nikeymikey said:

I don't get why MakeMhz is so against supporting it, surely it adds another bow to the string for Stellar. Its a shame that there will be another pointless division in this already small community. 

I guess it's just wait and see on CSO/Stellar and the benefits/features it may/may not bring.

I also asked him in his discord server and got an hard NO. 

To answer the question witch one is better? Nobody knows at the moment, but I have a feeling it will be cci. This runs on stock hardware, cso doesn't. it needs the extra hardware on the stellar chip to run. So if you can pair cci with stellar that would be massive. But he said NO...