OGXbox.com

Cerbios new xbox bios

ShinGoutetsu

1 hour ago, corona2222 said:

what is the reason for different sizes?

Which to use depends on the software you use and the bank size of the modchip or size of the TSOP you are flashing.  Some flashing software automagically writes multiple copies of a 256KB BIOS dot bin file one after the other to fill the bank size: 1 copy to a 256KB bank, 2 copies to a 512KB bank or 4 copies to a 1MB bank (Evoxdash or XBlastOS) and others don't (e.g., Gentoox Loader) they only write 1 copy of the dot bin file and if it's not the correct size - bank size - the console will not boot but FRAG.

is it just dependent on what a modchip expects

depends on the bank size of the modchip or size of the TSOP you are flashing it to.

The 512KB version is simply 2 copies of the 256KB base size CerBIOS and the 1MB dot bin 4 copies of the 256KB BIOS.

Most modified Xbox BIOSes are only 256KBs in size.  Team Xecuter's X2 5035 and X3 BIOSes, 3294 the latest release, are the exceptions with a base size of 512KBs and 1MB respectively.  It takes the entire base size BIOS for the firmware to boot.

or any reason to install 1024kb over 256kb if the mod chip can take either?  

No. 

For example, an Aladdin XT plus 2 modchip only has 1 256KB bank so you cannot use a BIOS that's larger than 256KBs for its base size.  And, the X3 BIOS only works with an X3 modchip.

A waste of space for a modchip that has 1MB of flash that can be split into 4 separate 256KB banks. 

For example, an X3 modchip can split its 2MBs of flash into 8 separate 256KB banks, 4 512KB banks, 2 1MB banks or 1 2MB bank.  Or combinations of sizes as long as a 256KB section is not already being used for a different BIOS:

banks 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 each 256KBs in size

banks 12 34 56 78 each 512KB in size

banks 1234 5678 each 1MB in size 

bank 12345678 being 2MBs in size

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:23 PM, corona2222 said:

what is the reason for different sizes? is it just dependent on what a modchip expects or any reason to install 1024kb over 256kb if the mod chip can take either?  

For different tsop versions/sizes. 1mb flashes need 4 copies of the 256k bios to boot properly and 512k flashes need 2 copies. 256k version is for smallest tsops and chips. I'm sure you could use the 512 and 1024 versions in chips, but it would serve no purpose. :P

Ah, once again, late to the party. That's what I get for taking a few days off.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, racingconcepts said:

im trying to foce games to play in 480p  i have the newest cerbios and the xbmc4 gamers and i cant seem to find where to do that

You have to edit bios with config tool which i don't know exist for cerbios ATM, or config file in HDD.

Other solution would be is to replace stock .xbe files with patched ones, very simple to do.

https://archive.org/download/xbox-480p-patches

31 minutes ago, Natetronn said:

Is this what you're looking for?

Settings (black button) > Skin Settings > Scripts > Run - 480p Game Loaders Script?

That's not it.  This script fixes games on a v1.6 Xbox that have a scrambled screen when you try to play them at 480p or higher resolutions with a high-definition cable (component video out) or an HDMI adapter.

3 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

What is UDMA5 support?

100 MB/second transfer rate instead of the original hard drive and DVD drive's UDMA3 UDMA2 33.3 MB/second transfer rate or UDMA4 66.7 MB/second that is negotiated when the stock IDE cable is swapped out for a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable.

CerBIOS supports the faster UDMA5 transfer rate if you use the UDMA5 version of the BIOS.  You need the high-speed IDE cable as well as an IDE-to-SATA adapter that supports the 100MB/second transfer rate - Startech IDE2SAT2 or DeLock #62510.

M8plus can also be manually hex edit patched to support UDMA5.

Edit: UDMA2 is 33.3 MB/second not UDMA3.  Updated text above.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

100MB/second transfer rate instead of the original hard drive and DVD drive's UDMA2 33MB/second transfer rate or UDMA4 66.7MB/second that is negotiated when the stock IDE cable is swapped out for a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable.

CerBIOS supports the faster UDMA5 transfer rate if you use the UDMA5 version of the BIOS.  You need the high-speed IDE cable as well as an IDE-to-SATA adapter that supports the 100MB/second transfer rate - Startech IDE2SAT2 or DeLock #62510.

i have the 80 wire cable and sata adapter. does cerbios have an edit tool like m8 does?

2 hours ago, bulkchart32 said:

i have the 80 wire cable and sata adapter. does cerbios have an edit tool like m8 does?

Not

3 hours ago, KaosEngineer said:

100MB/second transfer rate instead of the original hard drive and DVD drive's UDMA2 33MB/second transfer rate or UDMA4 66.7MB/second that is negotiated when the stock IDE cable is swapped out for a high-speed 80-wire 40-pin IDE cable.

Not yet.  The developers have released two different versions of the BIOS's dot bin file.  One with UDMA2 support and one with UDMA5 support.

• Thanks 1

@bulkchart32 depends a bit on your setup. I have an SSD installed in my XBOX and noticed load time improvements. I timed Mafia, it went from 10 to 5 sec when switching from UDMA 2 to 5. I didn’t time other games, but they all felt faster.

other people reported smaller improvements. It might be because they used a HDD or tested a game that simply won’t load faster

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coldasijs said:

@bulkchart32 depends a bit on your setup. I have an SSD installed in my XBOX and noticed load time improvements. I timed Mafia, it went from 10 to 5 sec when switching from UDMA 2 to 5. I didn’t time other games, but they all felt faster.

other people reported smaller improvements. It might be because they used a HDD or tested a game that simply won’t load faster

i'm on udma4 right now so i'm doubting there will be much of a difference.

I was lucky enough to have a private test build shared with me of the latest CerBios. One of the big new upcoming features is Compressed ISO loading! I put a quick video together showcasing the difference between the common file types, size comparison of THUG 2 as all 5 possible file types, and quick CerBios Compressed ISO (CCI) gameplay.

Keep you eye out in the Xbox-Scene Discord and on Xbins for a public release in the near future that includes full CCI support!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 9:50 AM, Neo said:

If I accidentally delete or corrupt the cerbios.ini (e.g. missing or the syntax is wrong), will the bios still boot with some default settings so I can recover?

If the syntax is wrong, you should fallback to the defaults. I would guess it depends on what you messed up, and how it failed. I'm sure you could break it if you tried hard enough 😉

Cerbios should boot without an ini. You will need to make sure you have a stock dash in C or you will get a dash error.

• 2 weeks later...