OGXbox.com

Fitting as many games on a 1TB HDD

UserFriendly

I'm trying to put together the best collection of Xbox games that will fit on a 1TB drive so I can make a 1TB image to speed up my modding process. I can get 1TB drives much cheaper than 2TB drives and there are really a decent amount of Xbox games that MOST people have no interest in so I figured trying to squeeze everything out of a 1TB HDD would be a fun challenge. I wanted to post this first before I got too in-depth to know if:

1. Discussing something like this would be against the rules? I'm not trying to sell anything nor will I be sharing links to where I got any of the games being discussed. 

2. If anyone would be interested in taking a look at what I have so far? I have all the Xbox games available to me on a google sheets document that I have recorded how critics and users have reviewed/ rated them and a list of the top games I have come up with so far to be critiqued. If this or something similar has already been done I'd love to see what someone else came up with and also bash my head against my desk for spending the last 2 or 3 weeks making this spreadsheet when I probably should have posted this first.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RetroEmulationNation said:

I referred to https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox/category/999-all and see how the games were reviewed by both readers and critics when loading up my 2TB drive.

A 1TB drive should easily fit at least 300 games, as some of them (i.e. Kakuto Chojin, Crazy Taxi 3) are quite small.

I used a combination of Metacritic and Gamefaqs. Here is a link of the google sheets doc and the txt doc of the games I currently have as the "Top 323" That I have so far:

Google Sheets Doc: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pAWehUWFH4Ile26KSPYFiU6t1IPWM2PpOKxN3UO8lMc/edit?usp=sharing

Top Games so far: https://pastebin.com/iNxqX9FG

Those 323 are currently using 762GB of space. There are some games that had more mediocre reviews but have enough of a cult following that I would like to add but I know that I am definitely going to go past the 1TB mark if I start adding more games.

Here are some sort of "rules" and other things I've been thinking about while trying to get this list together:

Certain games I am avoiding that were rated as good games such as:

-Games that require an attachment

-Games that don't play well on the Xbox and play better on the PC(currently I believe this only has excluded Morrowind)

-Games that don't run without the disk(so far I think maybe one of the Harry Potter games is affected by this)

-Collections of games that emulators can cover

Questions that I have been asking myself while compiling this list are:

-Are there any obvious misses?

-Are there any games that have no business on this list despite their higher ratings at the time?

-Are there any games where it is pointless to have earlier iterations of the game in the series(TOCA, PGR, Burnout, etc.)?

-Should I get rid of the simulator sports games(Madden, MLB, FIFA, ETC) but keep the goofy ones (FIFA Street, NBA Street, etc.)? I currently have selected one year out of each of the sports franchises worth having but since most people play newer versions anyway maybe it would be pointless to have the older ones on here unless it was something very nostalgic (NFL 2k5 comes to mind).

-Would it be worth it to use Arcade collections etc. instead of emulators(MAME, Coinops)? or any other collections for that matter that might play better than the emulators?

Edited by UserFriendly

5 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Dump the sports games, keep the silly ones. Those really start to add up if you count them all. Your current exclusion rules seem very fair to me. 

Are you saying dumb the ones I already have? I have already cut it down to only ONE year of each sports franchise. I might try that but keep the list of years of each franchise I did research on to determine "the best year" just in case I do end up having room. I'm going to do another sweep through my top 323 and see if there are any I could probably leave out due to their current lack of popularity or some other reason. 

Thank you for saying the rules seem fair but I am having trouble enforcing them on some games that I know little about.

1 hour ago, UserFriendly said:

Are you saying dumb the ones I already have? I have already cut it down to only ONE year of each sports franchise. I might try that but keep the list of years of each franchise I did research on to determine "the best year" just in case I do end up having room. I'm going to do another sweep through my top 323 and see if there are any I could probably leave out due to their current lack of popularity or some other reason. 

Thank you for saying the rules seem fair but I am having trouble enforcing them on some games that I know little about.

Would you mind posting this list once you've finalized it? If it changes, that is.

34 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Would you mind posting this list once you've finalized it? If it changes, that is.

It is going to change a lot. I will definitely post it once it is finalized. The link to the google sheets doc is live so you will see all the changes I have made. The games with an X in the column "Grabbed for 1TB image" are the ones currently included. Definitely going to be a process. I have the collection of HDD ready games in a torrent and I have been told that a lot of them have issues so once I do get the list together I am going to have to test each one it sounds like.

26 minutes ago, UserFriendly said:

It is going to change a lot. I will definitely post it once it is finalized. The link to the google sheets doc is live so you will see all the changes I have made. The games with an X in the column "Grabbed for 1TB image" are the ones currently included. Definitely going to be a process. I have the collection of HDD ready games in a torrent and I have been told that a lot of them have issues so once I do get the list together I am going to have to test each one it sounds like.

Thanks, dude. I want to start doing builds soon and I want to have a template for the 2tb hd and i considered the 2tb origins but that seems like overkill. I don't want to use all the space on the drives just for the sake of saying that every single xbox game is on it. So far, the list you do have already looks pretty damn solid.

Edited by Bowlsnapper
Accidentally used a comma instead of a period.

9 hours ago, MadMartigan said:

Dump the sports games, keep the silly ones. Those really start to add up if you count them all. Your current exclusion rules seem very fair to me. 

I downloaded a 2.3 tb hdd ready xbox game pack, deleted the sports games and ended up with around 850 games that almost 2tb :D Since I dont know most of the games I couldn't choose to be able to fit 1 tb only so I'd suggest the 2 tb option, maybe you can find some hidden gems you never heard of

15 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

I downloaded a 2.3 tb hdd ready xbox game pack, deleted the sports games and ended up with around 850 games that almost 2tb :D Since I dont know most of the games I couldn't choose to be able to fit 1 tb only so I'd suggest the 2 tb option, maybe you can find some hidden gems you never heard of

I have a 2tb modded xbox that I threw all the games on. That is easy. This is more challenging and also efficient knowing that if you see a game that you haven't heard of that there is a good chance it is a good game because you know you have cut all the crap. Also the motivation behind this is I can buy 3 1TB HDD for the price of 1 2TB HDD. 

2 hours ago, UserFriendly said:

I have a 2tb modded xbox that I threw all the games on. That is easy. This is more challenging and also efficient knowing that if you see a game that you haven't heard of that there is a good chance it is a good game because you know you have cut all the crap. Also the motivation behind this is I can buy 3 1TB HDD for the price of 1 2TB HDD. 

That is some sound effing logic, man. I would have put it exactly the same way.

8 hours ago, UserFriendly said:

Uneless you are a fan of sports games, and you dont really care about emulation I dont see the point of having a 3 tb hdd. Around 950 games released for the xbox (this is the info I found on the internet), and deleting many sports game gives me around 860 game, so I'd say I "own" almost every game under 2 tb. And even for these ~2tb games its a bit annoying that when you boot up the console and goes into the game selection menu it takes ~30 seconds every time to list the games, if you go back to the main menu and to the game menu again it will take again another 30 seconds to list the games. I mean I am using an XMBC, maybe its because of the icons and backgrounds of each game, but I can't imagine how many time would it be to load those 950 games :D

8 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

Uneless you are a fan of sports games, and you dont really care about emulation I dont see the point of having a 3 tb hdd. Around 950 games released for the xbox (this is the info I found on the internet), and deleting many sports game gives me around 860 game, so I'd say I "own" almost every game under 2 tb. And even for these ~2tb games its a bit annoying that when you boot up the console and goes into the game selection menu it takes ~30 seconds every time to list the games, if you go back to the main menu and to the game menu again it will take again another 30 seconds to list the games. I mean I am using an XMBC, maybe its because of the icons and backgrounds of each game, but I can't imagine how many time would it be to load those 950 games :D

Just yesterday I saw the boot time of XBMC with that many games and i was like, dude, FUCK that. That's a total dealbreaker.

11 hours ago, JohnnyHUN said:

Yeah kind of the point of why I'd like to whittle it down to 1TB. I know there is a 1TB image out there currently but it has a buttload of emulators that I don't care about and only has xbox exclusive games on it I believe. With this image I sort of want the best of both worlds, a solid collection of games for the xbox even if they aren't exclusives and a collection of popular emulators. The emulators I am currently including are

• NES
  • SNES
  • Gameboy(regular and color)
  • GBA
  • MasterSystem
  • Genesis
  • GameGear
  • 32X

So far these and their US Rom collections only take up ~10gb

I want to also put arcade emulators on there but I haven't really messed with those before but it sounds like CoinOps and Final Burn Legends cover most of those? I also think I'm going to put the TurboGrafx 16 and Neo Geo emulators on there, still trying to get the Roms for those sorted out.

Yeah kind of the point of why I'd like to whittle it down to 1TB. I know there is a 1TB image out there currently but it has a buttload of emulators that I don't care about and only has xbox exclusive games on it I believe. With this image I sort of want the best of both worlds, a solid collection of games for the xbox even if they aren't exclusives and a collection of popular emulators. The emulators I am currently including are

• NES
  • SNES
  • Gameboy(regular and color)
  • GBA
  • MasterSystem
  • Genesis
  • GameGear
  • 32X

So far these and their US Rom collections only take up ~10gb

I want to also put arcade emulators on there but I haven't really messed with those before but it sounds like CoinOps and Final Burn Legends cover most of those? I also think I'm going to put the TurboGrafx 16 and Neo Geo emulators on there, still trying to get the Roms for those sorted out.

Not an n64 guy huh? :) Although Surreal is kinda schetchy on 64mb of memory...

You can give these games a try

007: Agent Under Fire
007: From Russia With Love
Advent Rising
Alien Hominid
Aliens vs Predator: Extinction
Arctic Thunder
Area 51
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Conan
Crazy Taxi 3
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Gunvalkyrie
Manhunt
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Punisher
Samurai Shodown V
Shikigami no Shiro
Shikigami no Shiro II
Shikigami no Shiro Evolution
SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos
Spawn: Armageddon
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

IMO the only sport games really worth it are NBA Jam, and NFL Blitz. SUPER FUN. I am surprised by your comment on 1tb's being so cheap compared to 2tb. during black Friday i picked up WD Green 2tb's for like 32$ and in fact were less expensive then the 1Tb's (i checked). I fit the entire HDD Ready, Coin Ops 8 Massive and still have like 90GB leftover for random stuff. I could get 1TB's free from old computers, but wouldn't want to put in an old drive in an XBOX that may be around for another decade and will have significant use. 

What i find interesting is that really the XBOX games by most people fall into different genre's based on how you grew up and the friends you had. Some were the sports type and loved playing FIFA and played it every year, some the baseball type, some the shoot em up halo type, others the puzzle games. I really found it hard to intentionally remove games other than the ones are duplicates and you can just keep the newest one.

Anyway good luck with the endeavor!

8 hours ago, 1.21jiggawatts said:

IMO the only sport games really worth it are NBA Jam, and NFL Blitz. SUPER FUN. I am surprised by your comment on 1tb's being so cheap compared to 2tb. during black Friday i picked up WD Green 2tb's for like 32$ and in fact were less expensive then the 1Tb's (i checked). I fit the entire HDD Ready, Coin Ops 8 Massive and still have like 90GB leftover for random stuff. I could get 1TB's free from old computers, but wouldn't want to put in an old drive in an XBOX that may be around for another decade and will have significant use. 

What i find interesting is that really the XBOX games by most people fall into different genre's based on how you grew up and the friends you had. Some were the sports type and loved playing FIFA and played it every year, some the baseball type, some the shoot em up halo type, others the puzzle games. I really found it hard to intentionally remove games other than the ones are duplicates and you can just keep the newest one.

Anyway good luck with the endeavor!

That's on Black Friday. It isn't Black Friday. Like I said in an earlier post I have a 2TB modded xbox already. I honestly believe you can fit most of the games worth playing as well as some popular emulators on a 1TB drive so I want to try. Being able to buy 1TB HDD for $20 bucks is just a bonus.

11 hours ago, RetroEmulationNation said:

You can give these games a try

007: Agent Under Fire
007: From Russia With Love
Advent Rising
Alien Hominid
Aliens vs Predator: Extinction
Arctic Thunder
Area 51
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds
Capcom Fighting Evolution
Conan
Crazy Taxi 3
Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball
Gunvalkyrie
Manhunt
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks
Punisher
Samurai Shodown V
Shikigami no Shiro
Shikigami no Shiro II
Shikigami no Shiro Evolution
SNK vs Capcom: SVC Chaos
Spawn: Armageddon
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection

Pretty sure all of those games are already included on my current list I posted but when I get a second I'll go through and see if there are any in the yellow section and be sure to take your suggestions into consideration

Edited by UserFriendly

That's on Black Friday. It isn't Black Friday. Like I said in an earlier post I have a 2TB modded xbox already. I honestly believe you can fit most of the games worth playing as well as some popular emulators on a 1TB drive so I want to try. Being able to buy 1TB HDD for $20 bucks is just a bonus.

Pretty sure all of those games are already included on my current list I posted but when I get a second I'll go through and see if there are any in the yellow section and be sure to take your suggestions into consideration

Dude, User. A 2tb Seagate is $45. That's 25 more. That's like, the price of a delivered pizza. For a HD that may be in your xbox for 10 years or more, are you really gonna break your balls over 25 bucks? I mean, I know the world economy is fucked, but it ain't THAT bad... Yet. :)

Edited by Bowlsnapper

1 hour ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Dude, User. A 2tb Seagate is $45. That's 25 more. That's like, the price of a delivered pizza. For a HD that may be in your xbox for 10 years or more, are you really gonna break your balls over 25 bucks? I mean, I know the world economy is fucked, but it ain't THAT bad... Yet. :)

I've got 8 xboxes to mod, adds up a bit 😛. And again this is supposed to be fun and make things feel less bloated. I know a lot of people on this forum including myself would love to shove as much stuff as they can onto a HDD for their xbox even if they will never touch it more than once or twice. I sort of have this in mind for my friends who maybe haven't played this stuff in a while and just want the things they know. Xbox games and popular emulators. 

I wouldn't be doing this if something out there didn't already exist. It doesn't so I'm trying to make it happen and people commenting things about buying a 2TB drive aren't very helpful. My goal is to try and fit the necessities into a 1TB image. If I can't then yeah I'll probably go out and put 2TB HDD into these Xboxes. I'm surprised I'm getting this much resistance, I hear about people using smaller HDD than 1TB all the time.

Edited by UserFriendly

3 minutes ago, Bowlsnapper said:

Ah. I see. :) Are they for yourself, friends, or for resale?

Not sure yet, really just wanna do it to do it and ask around on facebook if anyone I know would be interested. I'm not really in it to make money, more just if I come across an abandoned xbox I'm going to fix it up, throw this image on it, and see if anyone is interested. Kind of why I want it to not have so much bloat. If someone wants all the xbox games and every emulator available they can look up how to do this themselves or buy from someone who puts a lot more work into modding lol. I'm literally just going to replace caps, chip it, and put this image on it. No external mods or anything. I might look into doing an HDMI mod, I know a lot of people don't want their best option to be a CRT or older flat screen.

22 minutes ago, UserFriendly said:

Not sure yet, really just wanna do it to do it and ask around on facebook if anyone I know would be interested. I'm not really in it to make money, more just if I come across an abandoned xbox I'm going to fix it up, throw this image on it, and see if anyone is interested. Kind of why I want it to not have so much bloat. If someone wants all the xbox games and every emulator available they can look up how to do this themselves or buy from someone who puts a lot more work into modding lol. I'm literally just going to replace caps, chip it, and put this image on it. No external mods or anything. I might look into doing an HDMI mod, I know a lot of people don't want their best option to be a CRT or older flat screen.

I respect that. Modding for the sake of modding. "Because I can" commonly ends up being the reason for a LOT of the things I do.

Edited by Bowlsnapper
  • Like 1