OGXbox.com

USB or Wall charger for IDe HDD

MadMartigan

I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but it is still Xbox related. I have a box full of IDE hdds that I'd like to sort through without having an Xbox run for hours to power them. I've been trying to find a guide or video tutorial on converting a 12V wall adapter or a usb device(if possible) to power the IDE drive. I e found one video that is pretty close to what I want and it suggests using a regulator and switch. I'm hoping for a simpler solution as I have a ton of old wall adapters lying around. 

Edited by MadMartigan

I assume you are referring to 3.5" Hdd's?    if so? You will not power them from STD USB. The Hdd requires 12 volts and USB only supplies 5 volts.

You also cant read a XBOX hdd without special software  ( as its a propriety format )

Making Matter worse, if they are old Xbox HDD's they are most likely still locked and without the unlock code its a challenge.

What is your ultimate aim here?

Edited by Acidmank

1 hour ago, Acidmank said:

I assume you are referring to 3.5" Hdd's?    if so? You will not power them from STD USB. The Hdd requires 12 volts and USB only supplies 5 volts.

You also cant read a XBOX hdd without special software  ( as its a propriety format )

This I am aware of and have done it many times with all of the necessities. 

Making Matter worse, if they are old Xbox HDD's they are most likely still locked and without the unlock code its a challenge.

They’re old pc drives I want to wipe clean and use for Xbox repairs. 

What is your ultimate aim here?

Looking for an alternative power source to running a y-splitter from an Xbox to power said drives for hours as mentioned before. 

Edit: It’s really not a necessity at all. I just have a bunch of cables and AC adapters lying around so I thought I’d look into it. 

Edited by MadMartigan

It sounds like you're looking for something like this.  Perhaps you don't need the USB to IDE cable, but the included power supply will get the job you described done.

https://www.amazon.com/Generic-Adapter-Converter-Optical-External/dp/B002OV1VJW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3G1724W1KK397&keywords=SATA+PATA+IDE+Drive+to+USB&qid=1643817982&sprefix=sata+pata+ide+drive+to+usb+%2Caps%2C335&sr=8-2

I mean, I have a ton of old junk around the garage too, but what's your time worth?

Anyhow, I found this image on the web that matches the one I have.

image.png.45babf0f51ff3253067b368cbeb56af0.png

Edited by Feeder